MFP's Acquisition

Options
sunrise611
sunrise611 Posts: 1,850 Member
I just heard that MFP has been acquired by another company that is merging two companies together.

I have been here three years and like the way it is and do not want anything to change. But money talks, especially $475 million.

So, what is in store for MFP? What changes will impact us? When will this happen?

How many people will drop out after the changes are in effect because it is no longer free or beneficial?

Replies

• granturismo
    granturismo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Any online articles re the takeover?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I doubt much will change other than we'll now have Under Armor ads all over the place.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Hey your link was better!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    If it ceases being free I'm out of here. Plenty more fish in the sea.

Will prob just be ad sponsored though.

Exactly. Although the community is fun, it's ultimately a tool for weight loss and there are many other free websites if it does become paid. I doubt it well, though. I believe they would push Under Armor products instead of charging for the service itself. Maybe a paid ad free version? Who knows. Let's wait and see.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Mike Lee, co-founder and CEO of MyFitnessPal said that, “Under Armour will bring vast health and fitness expertise and resources to our 80 million users to help guide them as they work to achieve their health goals.”
    Hmmm... so now we'll have to be even more careful to research things on our own, to make sure the company isn't trying to sell us something.

The ads in the newsfeed are bad enough (can't remove them, can't mark them as the spam they are, and even adblock plus doesn't stop all of them).

• JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I can think of much worse companies to take it over than under armour.
    TBH it would be daft of them to change it, don't fix it if it ain't broke and all that.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I'm sure they will still keep the free version, riddled with ads of course, but have a paid premium version with no/fewer ads and more features... like most other websites/apps.

I just hope that they don't limit which fitness trackers or apps you can use to help track exercise. I also hope they can hire someone to do a database clean up of foods.
  • her4g63
    her4g63 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    "...please rest assured that your experience with MyFitnessPal will not change. Our products, services and team will remain the same. MyFitnessPal will still be free to use, you own your data and Under Armour will never sell it to any third parties. We will also continue to sync with your wearable devices and fitness apps. "

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/myfitnesspal-joins-forces-with-under-armour/

Hope this is true and everything remains the same.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    As I said in the other thread, I'm just waiting to see if they will continue to support apps and activity trackers that are not their own. I believe they own MapMyRun and the others in that app family, so will RunKeeper continue to be an app that syncs to MFP...? That could have an impact on my staying. I want an Apple Watch come April, and if it's not going to to be supported here the loss of that functionality is a deal breaker for me and I'll look to another site that does support it.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I use the browser extension AdBlockPlus (free, natch) and it gives me an ad free experience. If the ads are obtrusive and driving you mad, that's a thing you could do.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    i don't think much will change either. under armour purchased mapmyrun and not much has changed there.
  • sunrise611
    Options
    A simple Google search pulls up info about the acquisition but thanks to those that posted links.

I guess time will tell how the change will affect us. I just want it remain as is. It is great now.

So, I hope that they don't ruin it.
  • sunrise611
    Options
    Here is a link to their article in the Hello Healthy newsletter in which they "reassure us" that nothing will change for the worse:

• Wade406
    Wade406 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to Mike! That's a nice little retirement nest egg!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    sschwark wrote: »
    "...please rest assured that your experience with MyFitnessPal will not change. Our products, services and team will remain the same. MyFitnessPal will still be free to use, you own your data and Under Armour will never sell it to any third parties. We will also continue to sync with your wearable devices and fitness apps. "

Hope this is true and everything remains the same.

Huh, MFP hasn't sycned with my Garmin since last week...so it can't get much worse than that. lol
  • sunrise611
    Options
    Yes, it's a nice "retirement nest egg" for the creators and they deserve it. Good for them!

I just hope it won't come at the expense of what they successfully created and built.

I think the key to MFP's fate is whether the original creators will remain as "vested partners" or drop out and hand the reigns completely over.

Growth and change can be good but corporate greed can contaminate the works in many ways.