Crock Pot Ideas??

Options
I need some easy, yummy recipes I can make in my crock pot!? We get home late and it's a hassle to make dinner !!

Replies

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Cambell's makes the slow cooker marinades. We just made the beef taco one. It was super easy to make. Check it out in the soup isle.

Also: http://allrecipes.com/recipes/everyday-cooking/slow-cooker/
  • troutrouter
    Options
    Slow Cooker Old Bay Rotisserie Chicken

1 whole fryer chicken
    5-6 foil balls or a rack
    Old Bay seasoning
    Garlic Pepper

Rinse the chicken and pat dry with paper towels
    Shake Old Bay seasoning all over the chicken until it is covered.
    Add a few shakes of Garlic Pepper
    Place foil balls or rack in slow cooker. This serves as your "grill."
    Place chicken in slow cooker.
    Cook on high for six hours.

I tried this the other day and it was outstanding. Yields 6-8 servings.
  • Revcminor
    Options
    Check out skinnytaste.com
  • mandykent111
    mandykent111 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    yes I have a slow cooker that I have used once and want to use it more. If I leave the food in there for longer than the recipe time will it be ok?? A lot of recipes state 8 hours and I work 9-10 hours and still need to get home.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    yes I have a slow cooker that I have used once and want to use it more. If I leave the food in there for longer than the recipe time will it be ok?? A lot of recipes state 8 hours and I work 9-10 hours and still need to get home.

I've cooked things a little longer than needed. It may overcook a little bit and dry out. If it says cook on HIGH for 8 hours... I would suggest maybe cooking it on LOW instead. Is there anyone else at home that could maybe after the 8 hours throw it on Keep warm?
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    with my old crockpot I used it on a light timer to control how long food cooked for because it would burn the crap out of everything if I left it in for 9-10 hours, even on low. I can't recommend that enough. It's way cheaper than buying a programmable crockpot (which I eventually bought when my hubs cracked the crock on my old one, oops!).

My go-to super inexpensive crockpot meal: 2-3 pounds of protein of choice (beef, chicken, pork, etc), some southwest seasoning and a bottle of BBQ sauce. 8-9 hours on low, and you have yummy easy BBQ meat. :)
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options

Mine defaults to "Keep Warm" for four hours after the cook time's run out. If a recipe says to cook on high for 6 hours, I always set it on low for 8-9 hours and sometimes add a little extra liquid. Slow cookers can also make a lot of food at once, so if you cook on the weekends you've got leftovers for the week.

• ColleenZ101
    Options
    Slow Cooker, Apple Cinnamon Steel-Cut Oatmeal
    By Monica Servings: 7 (3/4-cup) servings
    Ingredients
    2 apples, peeled, cored, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (2-1/2 to 3 cups chopped)
    1-1/2 cups fat-free milk (or substitute non-diary alternative like almond milk)
    1-1/2 cups water
    1 cup uncooked steel-cut oats
    2 tablespoons brown sugar (or substitute maple syrup or other desired sweetener)
    1-1/2 tablespoons butter, cut into 5-6 pieces (optional)
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 tablespoon ground flax seed
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    Optional garnishes: chopped nuts, raisins, maple syrup, additional milk or butter
    Directions
    Coat inside of 3-1/2 quart (or larger) slow cooker with cooking spray. Add all ingredients (except optional toppings) to slow cooker. Stir, cover, and cook on low for approx. 7 hours (slow cooker times can vary). Spoon oatmeal into bowls; add optional toppings, if desired. Store leftovers in refrigerator. Freezes well.

To reheat single servings: Put 1-cup cooked oatmeal in microwave proof bowl. Add 1/3 cup fat-free milk. Microwave on high for 1 minute; stir. Continue cooking for another minute, or until hot.

Recipe can be doubled in 6-quart or larger slow cooker. Increase cooking time 1 hour.

Nutritional Info (per 3/4 cup serving): 149 calories, 3.6g fat, 27.3g carbs, 3.9g fiber, 4.9g protein; Weight Watchers PointsPlus: 4 pts
  • CarolPre
    CarolPre Posts: 1,852 Member
    Options

Most recipes I see say to cook for 8-10 hours, so depending on what it is, it should be okay.
  • sw0312
    sw0312 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I make pork roast that falls apart and is just wonderful. Then the next day add BBQ sauce and make pulled pork sandwiches - yum! This one has been stolen from me over and over:

Pork roast -I use whatever will fit in my pot- bone in or not - whatever is on sale
    Dried Thyme - a bunch lol probably 2 Tablespoons
    Salt and Pepper - probably a tablespoon of both - just to your taste
    Bay leaves (2)
    Garlic powder (or you can use fresh)
    Frozen apple juice (you will have to make the juice)
    Red onion - 1 meduim sliced

Season the roast with the herbs and spices. Up tpo you whether you want to sear the roast or not , I have done it both ways. Put roast in the pot and lay the sliced onions on top. Cover with the apple juice that you made (make sure the roast is covered - if you have too add some water). Cook on low for up to 9 hours or so (high for 6). The liquid keeps it from drying out.

I make a gravy out of the leftover juice, a rue and a dash or two of cayenne pepper and salt - Yum.

Next day BBQ sandwiches. Just put meat in a pot on the stove, add sauce, voila!
  • sw0312
    sw0312 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Sorry - forst day we eat pork roast, some kind of veg and potatoes for the kids with gravy then next day BBQ.