Ground turkey

Options
BiboPineNut
BiboPineNut Posts: 19 Member
I had a client give me about 10lbs of ground turkey from Purdue. Individually packaged in 1lb packs. I need healthy low cal recipes. Links to your favorite recipes would be appreciated.

Thanks and feel free to add me!! I need Mfp friends

Replies

• allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Lentil soup! In your food processor, process into tiny tiny pieces some carrot, onion, and celery. The more the better, but if you use an entire bunch of celery be prepared for the laxative effect. In the biggest pot you own, brown your turkey. If you possess breakfast sausage seasoning (like this: https://www.penzeys.com/catalog/product.aspx?catalog=24&product=606), add enough to season your turkey. Otherwise, season with whatever spices you like. Toss in the veggies and stir it all around. Add a bag of brown lentils (rinse and pick over to remove any debris first) and a big can of diced tomatoes (undrained). Add enough liquid to cover the lentils - low sodium V* is good, as is chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cook until the lentils are the desired softness, about 30 minutes.
  • lpendleton58
    lpendleton58 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Turkey chili is a go to for me. That and other reciepes are on skinnytaste.com
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    tacos. you can make anything into a taco.

I also make shepherd's pie. brown 1lb turkey with an diced onion. put in a casserole dish with frozen mixed veggies (the peas, carrots, green bean kinds). Add 2 cans of tomato soup (I used the campbells condensed) 1/2 soup can of water and 1/2 a soup can of milk. (I know the weighing/measuring people are going to love that! lol) top with mashed potatoes and bake at 350 until the potatoes are golden brown on top (about 25 minutes). It's only low cal depending on how you make your mashed potatoes. lol
  • missmlg1
    missmlg1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Turkey chili is the best!!
  • ap9133a
    ap9133a Posts: 3 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Turkey lettuce wraps! Damndelicious.net has a good recipe.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    im with enterdanger....tacos. glorious tacos.

turkey burgers are great too. my wife brushes them with trader joe's 'island soyaki' sauce and they're fantastic.

you can also look up a recipe for buffalo chicken meatballs, and substitute the chicken with the turkey.

and since i mentioned meatballs....

meatballs.
  • agal129
    agal129 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I love me some homemade chili!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I would make a "taco" salad with lettuce, black beans, maybe some corn, avocado or guacamole, salsa and Greek yogurt or sour cream, and tortilla chips, depending on your carb goal. I also add it to pasta. I've been a lazy cook lately.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    You can use ground turkey the same way you use hamburger although ground turkey is dryer so burgers need some help in the flavor department. I have used turkey burger in chili, spaghetti sauce, mix with hamburger for meat loaf, meat balls, just about anything.
  • adwilliams03
    adwilliams03 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Sweets1954 wrote: »
    You can use ground turkey the same way you use hamburger although ground turkey is dryer so burgers need some help in the flavor department. I have used turkey burger in chili, spaghetti sauce, mix with hamburger for meat loaf, meat balls, just about anything.

Same here! I don't eat beef and haven't for about eight years, so I just use ground turkey in place of everything I'd have used ground beef for in a recipe! :)
  • Joshacham
    Joshacham Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti! Use a spaghetti squash rather than noodles to save even more on calories.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I make a protein bomb for breakfast. Two whole eggs and two whits scrambled. Cook 2-4 oz. of the turkey with onions and bell peppers. Pour egg mix over, add a little cheese, cook it up and slurp that stuff down!
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Taco Salad... or pretty much anything you use hamburger for.
  • BiboPineNut
    BiboPineNut Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    These all sound great, I'm leaning towards tacos or meat balls tonight. Gotta see what the little lady wants to go with. I'll be sure to post a pic and many thanks!! With the amount of turkey I have I'm sure I'll be trying most of these
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Sweets1954 wrote: »

Ooh haven't tried meatloaf yet!
    Turkey chili for sure
    Meatballs (I use them over zucchini noodles & in Italian wedding soup, stroganoff would be good too)
    Burgers or Sloppy Joes if you don't feel like forming patties
    Tacos
    Cabbage Rolls
    Stuffed Peppers/Eggplant/Zucchini
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    Ground turkey is a great sub for anything you'd use ground beef for. Hamburger, meat sauce, meatballs, chili, taco meat, etc. It's yummy!

I just made turkey taco meat last night for taco salad (or reg tacos, burritos, lettuce wraps). I saute onion, then brown turkey, add cumin and chili powder, (drained and rinsed) black beans and corn. You can add rotel diced tomatoes and chilis and/or any of the tons of "taco seasoning" packets or sauces (I like to add the spices myself to cut back on extra salt and random stuff in the packets).
    This makes a ton of filling, so, if you have a big family it's great or you have lots for lunches or to freeze for another day. I had taco salad last night and today I'll have lettuce wraps :)

I love turkey chili. There's a ton of recipes online, just make it how you would beef chili. Hunt's even has a prepacked chili set with everything you'd need.

Experiment and enjoy!

• kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I often use it for chili, adding black and/or white beans, bell pepper, red onion and pumpkin and I use a mix of cinnamon, paprika, chili and cilantro for seasoning.

Turkey burgers with homemade cranberry sauce are very tasty too.

Turkey is great for a Greek meatloaf (or meatballs), just season it with herbs like oregano, mint, a little basil and garlic. Or, if you prefer Asian, add some sautéed shiitaki mushrooms and spring onions to your meatloaf mixture and top with a mix of ketchup, soy and hoisin sauce.
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    These are delicious with ground turkey or ground chicken. Love them. I've made 3 batches already and eat 1 as a snack or 2 as a meal with some veggies. Great on the go since they're a muffin!

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/docs/2011/jamie-eason-turkey-meatloaf-muffins.pdf
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hoisin lettuce wraps!! Fry turkey with some salt, pepper & Chinese 5 spice powder, add chopped water chestnuts, peas, carrots, about 1 cup hoisin sauce and a splash of rice vinegar. Serve in lettuce leaves.