Where to get the fiber

Options
I am struggling to get adequate fiber while still keeping my carb levels relatively low. Are there any good foods with higher concentrations of carbs as fiber without being too high in other carbs?

Replies

• Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Lentils.

Per 100g there is 29 carbs 30g fiber and 25g protein

Beans too

fruit and veg helps alot

Also maybe drink some fiber like husks

• Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Check my diary. I hit about 55g of fiber today
  • emilynova
    emilynova Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Lentils are great. I like to eat Maria and Ricardo's fiber rich tortillas for snacks. One has 45 calories, 10 g carbs/7g fiber. Nice with some PB&J or hummus, spinach and turkey
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I add benifiber in coffee. Also there is a gummie sugar free fiber at Sams. My kids like them.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Sydking wrote: »
    Lentils.

Per 100g there is 29 carbs 30g fiber and 25g protein

Beans too

fruit and veg helps alot

Also maybe drink some fiber like husks

I think your numbers are off. Since fiber is a carb, a food can't have more fiber than carbs.

According to the USDA, 100g of cooked lentils has 9g prot, 20g carbs, 7g fiber (13 net carbs)
    http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/4783
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    LouisJW15 wrote: »
    I am struggling to get adequate fiber while still keeping my carb levels relatively low. Are there any good foods with higher concentrations of carbs as fiber without being too high in other carbs?

Chia seeds. Per 100g they have 16.5 prot, 42 carb, 34 fiber (only 8 net carbs)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Well beans have a ton of fiber but they also have a lot of carbs.... I'm trying to get a lot of fiber too but I'm not worrying about carbs, just calories
  • BlondieCakes81
    BlondieCakes81 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I second Chia seeds. They can be added to almost anything. I mix 2 tbsp of chia seeds and a scoop of vanilla protein into my yogurt and it's an awesome high fiber, high protein snack or breakfast. I use Spectrum Essentials Chia seeds. One tbsp has 60 cals, 4g carbs, 4g fiber and 2g protein.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I must post this link three times a week. More about fiber. I wished I'd known this when I started!

http://www.webmd.com/diet/fiber-health-benefits-11/insoluble-soluble-fiber

Fiber and carbs go together like protein and fat. It is hard to skip one without the other. @need2exerc1se wouldn't insoluble fiber be simply roughage, with no nutritional benefit at all? Not a carb.

I do see that even crude wheat bran contains at least some carbs.
    Crude Wheat Bran

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    What can you do with chia seeds? Just curious. I think I could sprinkle some on my oatmeal but I'm not sure what else?
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    What can you do with chia seeds? Just curious. I think I could sprinkle some on my oatmeal but I'm not sure what else?

I put them in my green smoothies, in coconut water, and I actually cook mine with my oatmeal. I will normally use about a tablespoon per use. Some people make a pudding out of almond milk and chia seeds but I personally didn't like it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I must post this link three times a week. More about fiber. I wished I'd known this when I started!

http://www.webmd.com/diet/fiber-health-benefits-11/insoluble-soluble-fiber

Fiber and carbs go together like protein and fat. It is hard to skip one without the other. @need2exerc1se wouldn't insoluble fiber be simply roughage, with no nutritional benefit at all? Not a carb.

I do see that even crude wheat bran contains at least some carbs.
    Crude Wheat Bran

Yes, insoluable fiber, which is not absorbed is not a source of nutrients. It's health benefits are in digestion aid. But that doesn't mean it's not a carb. There are several carbs that are not absorbed or only partially absorbed. Sugar alcohols and resistant starch, or example.
  • coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    cauliflower and broccoli have a lot of fiber and are relatively low carb

I have been working at increasing fiber in my diet and I often get 45-75 grams of fiber a day. You can check out my diary if you like. I eat a lot of veggies and beans.

as for chia seeds...I love them. Unlike the previous poster, I enjoy chia seed pudding of all kinds. I think it's best with cashew milk rather than almond milk, but with almond milk is still good. I use raw cocoa powder, some nutmeg and sweeten to taste. If you don't like chocolate, you can make it with vanilla extract, some dates for sweetening and nutmeg. Yummy!! If you google chia seed pudding you will find all kinds of recipes.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »

You can sprinkle them on many things (yogurt, cottage cheese, etc.) add them to salads or smoothies. They can be soaked used in place of eggs in baking (I've never done this but people with egg allergies do it).

You can pretty much add them to anything you'd add other types of seeds (flax, sesame).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    legumes, lentils, oats and other whole grains, lots of veggies, avocados, etc.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    raspberries, berries in general I believe
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I add psyllium husk to a glass of water every day at lunch. Most known brand is probably Metamucil.
  • Tizleness
    Tizleness Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I don't post often, but FIBER ONE has some pretty good stuff!
    My girlfriend loves the 90 calorie lemon bars. 90 cals, 5g fiber.
    I like the chocolate oat bars. 140 cals, 9g fiber.
    Their products taste great and depending on how many calories you have for the day you can easily sneak these in.
  • LouisJW15
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input, I greatly appreciate it and have a few foods to try!
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition's Fitness Fiber as a supplement. It mixes well in anything from protein shakes, yogurt, oatmeal, coffee, water, etc. One teaspoon has 10 calories and 5 grams of fiber.