Second Half; First time training!

Options
So last year, for the first time, I ran a half marathon. I didn't train for it (unless you count the ability to run 4 miles before hand training) and I booked the race with the determination of "I got this". I was able to finish the race standing (although for only so long) and I felt proud that I had accomplished it- even thought to myself "well that wasn't so bad".

So let us get to the point. I am going out for my second half marathon in April and I am actually *gasp* training for it. What I am not used to is the extreme increase in appetite. Before I started training about 2 weeks ago my eating was very light, minor running here and there, but I was used to it. What I would like to know is if anyone has any tips or advice on how I should fuel my body from here on out. I should probably preface this request with I am a pescetarian and I do not eat meat however I do consume fish, veggies, vegan food (like my love for hotdogs except it is soy), dairy, etc. You honestly wouldn't believe how easy it is to consume a fair amount of protein this way... Anyways. Any advice would be great! Food recommendations etc.

Thanks!!

Replies

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    In for advice. I've been hungry and ultimately eating at maintenance despite trying to eat a bit below maintenance. I think it's because my training includes building strength. That mass has to come from somewhere. Still though, would like to get back to losing weight as I am still overweight.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    You can get all the protein you will ever need from fish, eggs, and dairy so you have no issues at all. Even if you just did dairy you could use whey protein.

Keep eating what you're eating for the most part. There's no need to do much different other than adding in more food. Just eat enough to keep your NET calories within your daily goal. You can still have a small negative calorie intake just don't make it too big. You don't need to try to lose 2 lbs a week while you're running a significant amount but a small loss of a half to one pound a week won't put you back too much if at all.

I try to hit my macros but once my protein (grams) gets up to my weight (pounds) I back off that and add in extra carbs to make up the calories. That's really the only difference I would look at. Soy hot dogs sound nasty. That's my only critique with your nutrition. :laugh:
  • msmith2020
    msmith2020 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Soy hot dogs sound nasty. That's my only critique with your nutrition. :laugh:

Lol, the texture is... interesting. But I have grown to like them quite a lot since they are also extremely low in calories so that means: More for me! haha

Thank you for your reply! I have been curious as to whether or not I should eat back my workout calories (which up until this point my goal has been to lose weight: I succeeded), now I want to focus on fitness a lot more and my mind frame is still "eat a deficit". Thoughts?? I already eat roughly 1650 a day- I haven't worried about losing weight in a while, it sort of just comes off.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    If you're going to run a half marathon you really should eat back the majority of your exercise calories or you'll eventually bonk and feel out of energy. You can still lose weight, just not at an accelerated rate. If you're happy with your weight then eat them back for sure or else you'll drop weight. Some days I burn my daily intake on a single run. Not eating it back would be the equivalent of me not eating at all that day.

Don't stress too much about it. It's not as if eating improperly for a day or two will kill you. Just monitor your weight and adjust your calories according to what you're seeing. You might see a small bump in the scale after days you run a lot. This is temporary water weight for muscle recovery. Just keep hitting calorie goals and don't worry about it. It's still simple calories in vs. calories out. That never changes.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I just got finished with my first marathon and I have run many 1/2s. I was very mindful about what I was eating on those long run days because I would eat everything in sight if I didn't. I did log everything and I would eat back about 1/2 of my calories. Quinoa and brown rice was really helpful for me as well as English muffins and almond butter (my go to) and oatmeal. I didn't have any issues with weight loss during that training. I am now on another training cycle for a 1/2 in March and I am doing the same thing.

Good luck! I ran my first 1/2 without training. It is a much better time and you feel much better when you train. HAAA I could actually walk afterwards. :D
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    General rule of long distance running, you pay for the run before you run it or you’ll pay for it after you run it. You’re going to pay for it, either way.

For a distance that is going to take you 90 minutes to three hours (depending on your speed), you only need to ensure you have plenty of glycogen. This goes for training as well. I know a lot of people like to use glucose packs (Gu) during runs, but I’ve found that a good high carb meal the night before (with plenty of sleep) and a mix of slow and fast carbs about 30 minutes before the run, works for me.

If you are serious about training for performance, I wouldn’t restrict calories (eat at a deficit). You’re fueling and rebuilding during your training time and need to keep yourself at peak to get the best results.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    You eat fish, therefore you eat meat. Anyway, salmon is good, so are sweet potatoes. Eat lots of green stuff. Rice, beans, cheese, etc.