Bought a bicycle - now what?

Options
Hi everyone! So, after four years of saying I'd get around to buying a bicycle, I finally did (and helmet, bike lock, etc). However, I'm really not sure where to 'start,' as I haven't ridden a bike on a road since approximately age 9. I live in Brooklyn, and there are lots of great bike riding options around (or so says the internet), but I was hoping some more veteran bike riders could give some advice on starting out, things to be mindful of-- things like that! Thanks! :]

Replies

• Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Life long avid cyclist here,

My recommendations would be to start on bike trails away from traffic, but in the miles, your bike handeling skills will increase with the time you put in,. When you feel ready venture into bike lines with low traffic and get the feel of being on the road with cars, road hazzarda and how to watch for people's reactions. Work your way up to commuting and being in traffic and open country roads. Be predictable in your actions. Mostly though, just go pedal.
  • Camo_xxx
    Options
    oh ya, if you don't want to know when you are about to be run over from behind wear headphones. Otherwise leave them home.
  • Camo_xxx
    Options
    Also, bike fit is important. Have your local bike shop fit the bike to you. Seat needs to be the proper height, level and fore / aft adjusted. Bar height and reach set for your needs.
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Don't crash on gravel. It really, really, really hurts. I second the "No headphones" as well.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I live in Brooklyn too. I've been saying I'm going to get a bike forever and do not do it. I don't really understand your question though ha...can't you just...go? I would ride to beacons closet and go shopping.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    No running with dogs either, dogs are so unpredictable. Ask me because I have first hand experience.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I bought a bike but I haven't ridden one since I was a kid and I'm scared to use it. I haven't even tried.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    There is no shame in dismounting and walking alongside the bike if you don't feel safe riding in suddenly-changed conditions.

There is also no shame in making a bunch of right turns to avoid the left turn lane business. (Note: I don't even know if Brooklyn has left turn lanes or two way streets or really anything. Sorry if this is not applicable.)

Do you have fenders? Definitely get fenders for city riding.

Solid colors - light colors (shirts/jackets) are the most visible. Of course you are still dependent on the observational skills and distractedness of others, but it helps.

Be sure you're wearing your helmet properly.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    ok start slow with slow rides-and not far. Many cities let you take bikes on subways in non-peak hours-so take a train somewhere and bike home-or many buses also have bike racks in front Call your local bike store and see if they offer group rides or have a map of bike routes in city
    Have fun oh and get padded bike shorts-I also like bike gloves with padding.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Camo_xxx wrote: »
    My recommendations would be to start on bike trails away from traffic

This.
    My first time on a bike in forever was in Philadelphia two years ago. My friend, an avid cycler as it was his only form of transportation, took me through the streets. Literally.
    It was absolutely terrifying. Fun and a great workout, but terrifying none the less! Definitely start off the streets of Brooklyn, and wear that helmet! I didn't rent one with my bike, and I was in fear of my head meeting the street all day.
  • Camo_xxx
    Options
    Your local bike shop will know the bike trails in your area and probably host group rides of various levels which can be a fun way to learn new routes. Also check out mapmyride.com to find bike trails and roads with bike lanes. < select map options-bike paths ) your bike shop may have paper maps showing the area bike lanes as well.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Look out for people opening car doors! I tried cycling in the city and forgot that, twice, which is why I only bike on trails now.

(I think there are tips, like "be very aware of what people are doing inside their cars", like if they look like they're going to get out. But you don't have to do that as much on trails.)
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Sign up for the monthly February cycling challenge forum. Pick an easy goal (i.e. 80 miles), and go from there! It'll get you riding.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Depends what you want to get from it to be honest. I train on my road bike, amuse myself with the mountain bike and commute on a folding bike.

Personally I'd recommend a helmet, getting familiar with your own maintenance and basic roadside repairs.

Map out some routes, and get familiar with the handling before taking it away much beyond that.

Other than that, just ride.

Oh, and assume that everyone in a cage is intentionally trying to kill you.
  • msmith2020
    msmith2020 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Don't crash on gravel. It really, really, really hurts. I second the "No headphones" as well.

Well: I will keep this in mind when I eventually venture over to biking ;) lol
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    No headphones while biking. Always wear a helmet. Bring some cash, ID and cell phone with you in case of a accident or emergency. Always have a water bottle too. Always watch the vehicles I am more worried about getting ran over than wrecking by myself. Most cars will move over when I lived in the city when biking but there are a few idiots that don't share the road. I now live in the country so I don't have to worry about it biking in the boonies!!
    Have FUN!
  • kyylieeeeee
    kyylieeeeee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I live in Brooklyn too. I've been saying I'm going to get a bike forever and do not do it. I don't really understand your question though ha...can't you just...go? I would ride to beacons closet and go shopping.

Thanks everyone for your help and advice! I'm excited to get out there as soon as the snow clears. There is a great bike/running path close to me that wouldn't involve too much road riding-- I'll get comfortable there before I venture out into more traffic.

And arditarose, your post had me cracking up because last time I went to Beacon's Closet, I almost got smashed by a city bus that ran a red light like 15 whole seconds after the light had turned-- I was already half way through the crosswalk! But, I'm a little wary of biking on the roads from day one :] So I'll get some 'practice' in on the Shore Promenade before I tackle the roads!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Thanks everyone for your help and advice! I'm excited to get out there as soon as the snow clears. There is a great bike/running path close to me that wouldn't involve too much road riding-- I'll get comfortable there before I venture out into more traffic.

And arditarose, your post had me cracking up because last time I went to Beacon's Closet, I almost got smashed by a city bus that ran a red light like 15 whole seconds after the light had turned-- I was already half way through the crosswalk! But, I'm a little wary of biking on the roads from day one :] So I'll get some 'practice' in on the Shore Promenade before I tackle the roads!

Oh my god. So glad you didn't get smashed! Sometimes I want to smash the MTA.
  • dogsarebears
    dogsarebears Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I second everything I've seen here, especially about always wearing a helmet + no headphones. The only addition i'd make is that getting front and rear bike lights is a relatively minor cost (mine together ran me about $40) and they make it much easier for cars to see you when it starts getting dark.
  • smpicot
    smpicot Posts: 1
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Long-time cyclist here. I also second everything said, especially making sure your bike fits.

If you do get bike shorts (they definitely help on longer rides), don't wear anything under them! No one ever mentions that when you buy them, but they're designed to be worn without anything under to prevent chafing.

Also, regarding maintenance: if you don't have a pump already, get one and pump up your tires periodically (~1x/wk or so is totally normal to maintain pressure). Also get yourself a patch kit/spare tube if you're planning on doing longer rides. I carry a tube, tire levers, CO2 cartridge and applicator valve thing (alternate to a portable pump), and an allen key set. There's tons of videos on youtube about how to change a tube, and it's worth practicing so if you end up with a flat out in the middle of nowhere you're not stranded.

Bikes are pretty hard to break or screw up so don't be afraid to learn to do your own basic maintenance on it. Again youtube has some pretty decent tutorials. And if you do mess up anything, your bike shop can fix it and you'll have learned what not to do :)

Down the road, if you're riding the bike regularly, expect to replace the chain every couple years- chains stretch with use and if you leave them for too long they start to wear the gears which are a lot more expensive to replace. On the bike I use for racing, I replace my chain each year, and I ride it a lot, so chain wear doesn't happen overnight, it's just something to keep in mind.

Enjoy your riding!!

Edited to add: Global Cycling Network on youtube has a very comprehensive set of maintenance videos, ranging from road-side maintenance to fully stripping the bike to pieces.
    And, chamois cream (pronounced shammy)! If you get chafing or sore on longer rides, this is your new best friend. Basically diaper cream for grown ups :p available at your local bike shop.