I would love some advise on marathon running.

Options
Hi! I'm new to the discussion forum. I aim to lose about 40 pounds and participate in a 10K marathon held in my city every May. If there are any runners here, I would love some advise on how I should train for it. My current activity level is sedentary because my work involves sitting in front of a computer for 9-11 hours a day.
Thanks a lot in advance :D

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Start with the famous Couch to 5K program, and report back in 9 weeks. Make sure to get fitted for a good pair of shoes from a good running shoe store.

By the way, it's called a 10K race, not a marathon. Marathons are always 26.2 miles.
  • SchweddyGirl
    SchweddyGirl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Just as Cherimoose says, start out with a C25K program. You may find some Couch to 10K programs, Coach Jenny Hadfield has some really good 10K programs with several different goals: from walking the 10K, to run/walking, to running, there are all sorts of good plans from her.

Also, head over to Runner's World and check out their beginner's page. There are tons of articles there that can help you on your way.

One last thing, we will over look you calling the 10K a marathon since you are new to running and don't know better. But be warned to not call it one again, or else you will light a fire you won't be able to put out.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    OK, so there is a thread at the top of this forum called So You Want to Start Running. The first couple of pages will be useful.

As you're currently not a runner then I'd suggest a Couch to 10K plan to give you some structure and help get you up to distance.

Note that a Marathon is 42.2km, so you're not talking about that, only a 10K. I assume you're talking about a marathon festival with a number of events on the same weekend. Four months to 10K is reasonable, particularly if you set some expectations around how you'll do for time and pace.

To keep you motivated in the early stages there is a Couch to 5K group on here that you'll probably find helpful.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    As above, see the So You Want to Start Running thread, it's really helpful.
    From your post title, I was going to say don't do it, training for a marathon takes over your life, it's all you can talk about because it's all you do, you decide at mile 25 that you'll never do another one, and then promptly sign up for your next on the following day!!
    10k is much more achievable and lifestyle friendly, but be warned you'll probably want to attempt the 26.2 miles (42.2km) in the future and then start thinking that ultra marathons can't possibly be that bad!
  • jimmckenna68
    jimmckenna68 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    JUST DONT!!! get a bike instead- you'll go further, faster!!
  • horcruxno7
    Options
    Thank you @Cherimoose‌, @SchweddyGirl‌, @MeanderingMammal‌, and @GillianMcK‌ for your advise. My research did bring up the couch to 5K program, but I wasn't too sure about it. I'm glad all of you unanimously recommended it. Thank you so much.
    I am sorry about calling it a 10K marathon. I should know better. I meant to type 10K run, but I guess I mistyped. Thank you for pointing it out. Don't want to start any fires here. *peace*
    @jimmckenna68‌ It's on the list :)