Healthy cottage cheese?

Options
what cottage cheese is best for you? Help!!! I'm losing weight and want to try it for lunch, low fat, low sodium, brands, what's best?

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    All cottage cheese is healthy. Unless you can't eat dairy.

Then it's not healthy.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I go for the plain unflavoured kind, and I usually choose the cheapest one, often store's own brand!
  • agratzy
    agratzy Posts: 114 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    oh gosh I am so hungry for cottage cheese. I didn't realize that was on the list of "okay foods." Yay!
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    agratzy wrote: »
    oh gosh I am so hungry for cottage cheese. I didn't realize that was on the list of "okay foods." Yay!

ALL the foods are on the "approved" list.

OP, I really like Breakstones Singles. But I have no clue what the stats are on it because it's the one I like the taste of and that's why I eat it.

• crazykatlady_
    crazykatlady_ Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Any food is okay in moderation. Eat what you want, y'all!
  • sarahsarahcee
    sarahsarahcee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I find that adding chopped fruit, or even nonfat flavoured yogurt helps with the taste.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I just had 1/2 cup of fat free cottage cheese for my snack.
    I put in a little sriracha with some dehydrated onion. 90 calories 14 grams protein.
    I buy what is on sale usually. This was Old Home buy one get one free (quart size).
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I love Lucerne 4% small curd cottage cheese with lots of fresh ground black pepper. Fits in my daily calories just fine.
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I do not enjoy the taste of fat free cottage cheese and therefore do not find the 20-30 calories it "saves" me off full fat (4%) cottage cheese to be worth it.

I like store brand large curd cottage cheese- store brand because it is cheapest and has the same amount of calcium (the main nutrient I care about in cottage cheese) large curd for textural preference.

I also prefer the 4% as I find the fat content to greatly help with satiety. That may all be in my head. I'd say if you don't think you benefit from the extra fat grams and you enjoy the fat-free or reduced fat versions equally to the 4% then any of those would be fine.

I normally just eat it plain but lately tried adding some salsa and it was lovely. I like the sriracha idea must try that!
  • lisele03
    lisele03 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I love Trader Joe’s low fat (1.5%) cottage cheese as I think it tastes delicious and waaaaay better than other low fat/nonfat varieties I’ve tried. A lot of folks like theirs with fruit, but I add mine to salads or I often just add chopped green onions, radishes and pepper - only ~95 cals. per ½ cup
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    When I buy it from the store I buy Daisy 2% brand. It doesn't have added anything in it. When I get my raw milk I make my own.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    All cottage cheese is healthy. Unless you can't eat dairy.

Then it's not healthy.

^^

• Athos282
    Athos282 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I say get the real stuff and not the 'low fat' versions that are more processed. Good for protein, some fat, and just awesome for adaptability.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I like Kalona's SuperNatural cream-top cottage cheese. Either 2% or 4%. I think it tastes more mild, maybe less salty?, than the other cottage cheeses I've tried.

For breakfast, I like it with fruit, or with applesauce.

It also makes a nice dessert blitzed 'til smooth with a little sugar and vanilla to make what is essentially blintz filling. Serve in crepes, on top of a pancake or waffle, or plain. Top with fruit, a little chocolate, chopped nuts, whatever you like.
  • ChrisRShaw
    ChrisRShaw Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I mix mine with the single serve Tuna pouches (they come in spicy, lemon pepper, sweet and sour) and some chopped up celery and have that for dinner. Has a ton of protein that way :smile:
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    store brand works for me - it comes in nonfat, 1%, 2%, and 4% in my store. Large curd in the higher fat range, small curd with lesser fat. I'm not a fan of the nonfat - it's missing the characteristic cottage cheese taste. You might have to have a taste test to figure out what you like. Of course the higher fat content gives a richer flavor - so you might start at 2% and see how you like it and how it fits in your calorie count, and then adjust.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I really like the Friendship 2% Large Curd Pot Style*. In the past I've found other brands to be too liquidy for my taste but this one is just delicious. It's all preference though. So you may want to experiment with the single serves if you can find them before you commit to a larger tub.

I eat mine in the morning with an apple or pear and a little cinnamon. But I could eat it straight out of the container.

*Stats for 1/2 cup: 90 cals, 3g carbs, 3g fat, 15g protein!
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    AHainzl wrote: »
    I really like the Friendship 2% Large Curd Pot Style*. In the past I've found other brands to be to liquidy for my taste but this one is just delicious. It's all preference though. So you may want to experiment with the single serves if you can find them before you commit to a larger tub.

I eat mine in the morning with an apple or pear and a little cinnamon. But I could eat it straight out of the container.

*Stats for 1/2 cup: 90 cals, 3g carbs, 3g fat, 15g protein!

I used to eat Friendship brand until my grocery store stopped selling it. :(
  • cheflaurawalke
    cheflaurawalke Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You gotta watch how high the sodium is in cottage cheese. I buy the friendship no salt added and the sodium level is wayyyyy lower. But... There is salt in cottage cheese for a reason. Ha. It takes some getting used to