Headaches after weightlifting

Options
In recent weeks I have been getting extreme headaches in the afternoon following a weights session. I'm also falling asleep on the sofa and feel exhausted. I've been weightlifting for about 3 years but these headaches are a recent occurrence.

I am drinking lots of water, but it doesn't seem to make difference. I'm taking in around 2000 kcals a day, which I feel is ample for my 4'11 frame, especially as I weigh 100lbs and am maintaining my weight on this number of kcals.

Are these headaches the norm and I should just man up and accept it as part of weightlifting? Has anyone else experienced this and can give me some advice to make it go away. Paracetamol doesn't shift it either.

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Are you taking any stims/supplements?
  • gemmamummy
    gemmamummy Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Only whey protein shakes.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    how are you on your salts?

If I don't take a nuun tab or two during a workout, I have headaches for a long frickin' time afterwards. Bad ones.
  • gemmamummy
    Options
    Generally I reach my sodium allowance most days and occasionally go over, but not by a lot.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Potassium? Magnesium?

My Mg goes low, I'm effed.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Are they tension headaches?
    My back was injured in two different car accidents and had some weak muscles. When I was tired, I'd get headaches driving or sitting in a chair without arms. When I started back weight training I'd also get them. Once I got stronger the tension headaches went away.
  • gemmamummy
    Options
    I don't have these on my food diary, but I'll have a look into what it should be and see if I'm getting enough. I'll try anything to make these headaches and fatigue do one! Thanks
  • dbmata
    Options
    Just off the top of my head, I'm not sure my potassium need, but I know on training days my magnesium need is around 750mg+
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    How long after your workout do the headaches start? Do you do the same lifts every workout, and if not, do the headaches come regardless of the workout/lifts you do?
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Can't see your diary. What are your macros and what are you doing for pre- and post- workout feeding? Between the fatigue and the headaches, I'd be voting for extreme low blood sugar. It sounds like you're getting enough cals unless you also doing some hardcore cardio too, but the macro balance (or carb timing) might not be working for you.
  • 10ecmuscle
    10ecmuscle Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    When I have heavy days, squats and deads mostly I will get a bad tension headache sometimes and seem to keep it for a day or so. I can literally feel it in my upper neck and backlog head.
  • gemmamummy
    Options
    I've been doing an all over routine (All Pro) for 8 months. I have a massive bowl of porridge with fruit and protein shake before workouts and a bagel and protein shake immediately after workouts. When I leave the gym at 10.45am I feel amazing, By 3pm I'm feeling terrible and it lasts all afternoon in to the evening, even after my lunch, both afternoon snacks and evening meal.
  • gemmamummy
    Options
    @mhseaver670‌ - my routine includes deadlifts and squats, although I haven't gone up in weight on either for a while.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Any tension/tightness in your upper back/neck/shoulders? I am not prone to headaches, but I do get really tight/immobile in my upper back after I bench. I can easily see that leading to headaches.
  • gemmamummy
    Options
    No tension at all, I wake up the next day and feel like I've worked out (slight ache in chest) but once I'm up and about it disappears. I've been really lucky so far with muscle aches/tears etc.
  • Delilahhhhhh
    Delilahhhhhh Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    A curve ball from me, have you been for an eye test lately? I was getting terrible headaches in the afternoons for about 6 weeks it was eyes!
  • 10ecmuscle
    10ecmuscle Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Maybe a good adjustment at a chiropractor could maybe help, I know when I get adjusted I don't get a headache for weeks, something about spinal fluid flow?
  • joneallen
    joneallen Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    What about your water intake? Do you get enough before and during your workout?
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    OK, kind of an open-ended question and difficult to answer, but did anything radically change (workout schedule, feeding schedule or composition, supplement type or brand, some other aspect of "real life"?) near the time you started getting the headaches and fatigue? Did the headaches and fatigue start appearing at the same time (however many weeks back it was)?
  • gemmamummy
    Options
    I drink alot of water throughout the day, generally i'm a thirsty person. Haven't had an eye test for about 3 years, Defo worth booking one. I actually have a gift voucher for a chiropractor so will get that booked too. All great suggestions thank you guys.