Options
2»

Replies

• SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Cincinnlati-ish here.

I made some Screw Shoes. They work great. Threee dollars in screws and on old pair of shoes.

Here's mine, used today

9gn7eg1d046m.jpg

• Spinnmaster
    Spinnmaster Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I live in Cincinnati, Oh. I just hit the gym in the winter and avoid the outside elements altogether.
  • samanthabratton2015
    Options
    Cincinnlati-ish here.

I made some Screw Shoes. They work great. Threee dollars in screws and on old pair of shoes.

Here's mine, used today

9gn7eg1d046m.jpg

Woah, that is awesome, now do you need a show that has a thick sole?? In the picture that looks like a bigger sole shoe, that's awesome! I bet it amazing for the winter snow and ice!

Thanks for sharing your pic! What type of screw? And was it difficult to put them in? Sorry I don't know much about screws lol :-)
  • samanthabratton2015
    Options
    haysavam wrote: »
    I live in Ohio and I never run on fresh snow. If there is still some snow on the ground a few days later I will run on it, but be very careful when I do so. Majority of this winter I have been using the treadmill at the gym and plan to start running outdoors in spring. Good luck!

That's what I did today, and it wasn't too bad. But when I got back, my calves were a little swollen, but I attend that as a good thing :-)

I live like 45 minutes away from a gym, or I would love to go to one, we are moving in the late of spring so cross your fingers :-)
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Sandusky area here - I don't walk (or jog - or run) in the snow solely because I hate the snow. You'd think growing up here in Ohio I'd be used to it, but nope. I hate it just as much now as ever.

Your cat is awesome - and your cat stories gave me a great giggle for the day! Thanks for that! :smiley:

Best of luck with your snow jogging! :flowerforyou:
  • skivrmt
    Options
    I live in northern VT and -hate- running in the winter. Pretty much all winter long we have snow on the ground, anything below 40 degrees and my lungs hate me.

Pretty much treadmill and indoor track at the gym for 4-5 months a year for me. More power to those who run in the cold! :)

And yes, running in place does work. Anything that elevates the heart rate will effective at least to burn calories.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Cincinnlati-ish here.

Here's mine, used today

9gn7eg1d046m.jpg

Woah, that is awesome, now do you need a show that has a thick sole?? In the picture that looks like a bigger sole shoe, that's awesome! I bet it amazing for the winter snow and ice!

Thanks for sharing your pic! What type of screw? And was it difficult to put them in? Sorry I don't know much about screws lol :-)

Details are in the link in my above post - type of screw, etc.

I brought my shoes to the hardware store with me and made sure the screw was less than half the thickness of the sole so even under compression they won't poke through.

They work great on ice and snow, but bare asphalt/cement/pavement sucks. They negate about 70% of the padding/compression in the sole and your feet slam HARD, but in soft snow and any ice, that's not an issue. Just avoid the bare spots and you won't feel it.
  • joneallen
    joneallen Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Im in the Akron area, and I've been itching to run outside. We have about 8-10 inches since Sunday :(
  • samanthabratton2015
    Options
    Sandusky area here - I don't walk (or jog - or run) in the snow solely because I hate the snow. You'd think growing up here in Ohio I'd be used to it, but nope. I hate it just as much now as ever.

Your cat is awesome - and your cat stories gave me a great giggle for the day! Thanks for that! :smiley:

Best of luck with your snow jogging! :flowerforyou:

Oh my goodness, I am the same way, I haaaate snow so much lol!

& thanks, she's a peach, and I hate dieting by myself, so I'm dragging her with me lol, we'll see how it works :-)
  • michelle0989
    michelle0989 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm in Chicago, where we got over 20 inches of snow this week. Whether it's 2 or 20 inches, I don't try to run or walk in it... too cold and dangerous for me. I do workout videos at home (almost all Jillian Michaels' DVDs). They all include a mix of cardio, HIIT, and strength training that get me through the winter until I can run outside again.

Good luck on running in the snow/ice. I like the idea of the screw shoes... I also have heard about people buying shoes already made like that and having great success running in winter conditions.
  • samanthabratton2015
    Options
    Cincinnlati-ish here.

Here's mine, used today

9gn7eg1d046m.jpg

Details are in the link in my above post - type of screw, etc.

I brought my shoes to the hardware store with me and made sure the screw was less than half the thickness of the sole so even under compression they won't poke through.

They work great on ice and snow, but bare asphalt/cement/pavement sucks. They negate about 70% of the padding/compression in the sole and your feet slam HARD, but in soft snow and any ice, that's not an issue. Just avoid the bare spots and you won't feel it.

Oh I'm sorry I didn't see the link, and this is great thank you, I just texted the old man to pick up the screws, he's pretty sure which type I need for my shoes, there cheap anyways!

Love this post! Incredibly helpful :-)
  • samanthabratton2015
    Options
    joneallen wrote: »
    Im in the Akron area, and I've been itching to run outside. We have about 8-10 inches since Sunday :(

Awe, that's no good. We got a hell load of snow yesterday but it's suppose to freeze tonight! I swear this weather is so crazy here!
  • samanthabratton2015
    Options
    I'm in Chicago, where we got over 20 inches of snow this week. Whether it's 2 or 20 inches, I don't try to run or walk in it... too cold and dangerous for me. I do workout videos at home (almost all Jillian Michaels' DVDs). They all include a mix of cardio, HIIT, and strength training that get me through the winter until I can run outside again.

Good luck on running in the snow/ice. I like the idea of the screw shoes... I also have heard about people buying shoes already made like that and having great success running in winter conditions.

I was thinking about doing a work out video, I just get bored easily of them and I'm not sure why, they do the trick and you would think because I jog in place, a video on the tele telling me should be a problem..

But yes I am going to try his idea, I think it's great, but I agree.

Running in snow is suicide. lol
  • samanthabratton2015
    Options
    Do you have stairs in your place of residence? Running up and down the stairs is a good burn.

Sadly sadly no :-(

Otherwise me and cat would be both feeling the burn! But that is an exceptional workout on your back legs and sometimes before my run, I'll go to the porch steps and do a set of 20 stairs to get my legs ready and warmed up!
  • joneallen
    joneallen Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I'm in Chicago, where we got over 20 inches of snow this week.
    Yikes! I'll think twice when I complain about half that. Stay safe!
  • CaptAwesome77
    CaptAwesome77 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Just get some trail shoes. They have a more aggressive tread to give you better grip in snow and ice and some are even available with Gore-Tex to help keep your feet dry. I've run in the snow and ice many times, usually in my regular running shoes, and only once had a problem with the ice. We'd had almost 2 ft of snow, which itself wasn't the issue, but it started to melt one day, then refroze the next so there were a ton of frozen holes along my trail just looking for ankles to break. I just cut out after a couple treacherous miles and finished along the road where everything was plowed.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I don't like running outside in less than 45 degrees and definitely not in snow.
    I'm in the Cincinnati area and I actually live right by my gym which is attached to an abandoned mall (the mall is open but has no internal stores, they're all empty and there are no shoppers except in the two anchor stores). I don't like running on a treadmill so I just go into the mall and run the halls. The three mall walking couples don't care. lol
  • anmajon24
    anmajon24 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I live in northeast ohio and try to walk everyday, even with snow on the ground. Sidewalks are still covered so I have to use the street or a path through the snow someone else has made.