how many calories do people stick to daily

Options
Im having 1300 calories a day but was thinking about less but didnt want to drop calories and not have enough food intake for me to loose weight after workouts ect??

Replies

• freyja1197
    freyja1197 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm currently zigzagging trying to break a plateau so mine is weird. But if you're exercising and hungry you probably don't want to drop your calories any lower.
  • Btbeam
    Btbeam Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should drop below 1300. You can actually do metabolic damage when your calorie deficit is to much. It slows your metabolism because your body thinks it's starving. I eat 2100 calories. That doesn't really translate to what your needs are as I am male and 339 lbs. Feel free to add me for support. PM with if you thought I could help at all
  • kayleigh750
    Options
    I do 1200 cal a day 4-5 meals throughout the day. Some days I do 1,000 to throw my body off, but I'm ALWAYS eating. Every 3-4 hours. Super plain simple food. I listen to my body though and if I feel the need for more cal I do a 1,500 cal day occasionally. I've done a bodybuilding show before so eating 900-1,000 each day is pretty easy, I don't suggest doing that right away or for very long if you do though. Make sure you eat every few hours though and drink unsweet plain tea (none of that "diet tea" crap either) so you don't crash your metabolism.
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I net 1385 but eat as much at 1600-1800 on days I am active. For reference I am 5'6" and 136 lbs with a BMR or just over 1300.
  • graciiekim
    graciiekim Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I know caloric needs varies on gender and body type, but I think 1200 calories is a bit extreme for anyone...
    Being just 5'1 and having a relatively small frame, I have successfully lost weight at 1400-1500, but now stick around 1500-1800 calories daily.
  • joneallen
    joneallen Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I'm close to 2,300 on days I'm active. And I'm a very active person.
  • jkoch6599
    jkoch6599 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm aiming for a 500 cal deficit and eat 1950 if I don't train (cycling), and around 3000 if I do.
  • lnmunn
    Options
    im 5'8 i try to eat 1780 calories a day but I track my Macros to lose weight and try not to work about the calories
  • Mewcenary
    Mewcenary Posts: 66 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    2000 calories. That's approx 450 calories deficit. Exercise calories get added onto this. Have lost 5 kg or so over the last month so it is effective for me. And I don't starve!
  • yourad0rk
    yourad0rk Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    How much you eat/should be eating definitely depends on height, size, gender, etc.

I vary a lot between 900 and 1500, I have binges which take me up to 2000. I used to average out at 1000 - 1100, but I've been aiming for 1500 now and usually manage 1200 - 1400. Bit of a mess really. (I'm 5'2)
  • loverann74
    loverann74 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Im at 1200 myself...workout 4to5 days week. Have a hibernating metabolism so 1200 is more than enough for me. Depend on your body's needs everyone is different
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I eat at around 1600 I'm 5'5" 142pounds and my only exercise is walking a couple of miles to and from work every day and I lose a pound a week (which will probably slow to half a pound when I get to the 135 mark if past experience is anything to go by). I probably wouldn't eat any less than 1300 but if you feel satisfied at 1300 keep it at that, personally I don't think I'd manage if I was properly working out too but everyones different.

Just remember if you eat too few calories you may start losing muscle as well as fat, it'll look good on the scale but muscle loss will result in a worse metabolism (which I guess where the false term of starvation mode comes from). However this is my laymans understanding from knowledge gathered over the past few years on here if a science bod wants to correct me. :)
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1,600. 5'7", 150lbs, female and very active. Running, weighted hooping, insanity and bo staff training. I actually tend to eat less than 1,600 since I eat whole grains, 2% milk, veggies, proteins.... I eat foods that are filling throughout the day.
  • AlexisRulesOC
    Options
    It's not the calories but the kind of calories. Cut gluten and I guarantee you will see some big losses :)
  • My_Butt
    Options
    It's not the calories but the kind of calories. Cut gluten and I guarantee you will see some big losses :)

'Gluten' is not the problem unless you have celiac disease. An intolerance to gluten (which very few ACTUALLY suffer from) means your small intestine can't absorbed the nutrients found in wheat. Wheat contains gluten AND carbs, which are great for energy when doing cardio.
    Of course you'll lose weight without gluten in your diet. It's the same reason you lose weight on a low carb diet. It's the same foods you're eliminating. Denying yourself an entire food group makes it too frustrating, and you're more likely to give up.
  • ctleonard9
    ctleonard9 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am female @ 5'2" 216 lbs. (lost 6 lbs. last month :) - I shoot for 1400 calories/day. However, 3 - 4 days per week I add vigorous cycling (spin class) to a weight training workout so sometimes I need to up it on those days if I feel like I am starving afterwards the class.
  • joneallen
    joneallen Posts: 217 Member
    Options

Outside of people that have Celiac, I'd keep gluten in your diet. The Gluten-free diet myth has been debunked quite a few times.
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I generally eat around 2100ish.... some days more if I feel hungry. At 1400ish, my weight/measurements was not moving and my lifts were suffering. Now, I am steadily getting stronger and although the weight loss is slow... sometimes even goes up some, I am losing inches.

Edited to add: As far as exercise, I walk to work 5 times per week (an hour) and lift 3-4 times per week for approx 45 minutes. Any other exercise is not routine, but it does happen where I might go swimming or something.
  • My_Butt
    Options
    Valtishia wrote: »
    I generally eat around 2100ish.... some days more if I feel hungry. At 1400ish, my weight/measurements was not moving and my lifts were suffering. Now, I am steadily getting stronger and although the weight loss is slow... sometimes even goes up some, I am losing inches.

My scale shows my weight going up and down too, but I am getting stronger and inches are coming off. If you rely on te scale, you'll probably get disappointed.
  • Lissa_Kaye
    Lissa_Kaye Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I aim for 1500-1900 on days I don't do anything. After my broken toe heals and I can do some good workouts I will bump it up to 2200ish. I m 5'3 and at 210 this mornin. My BMR runs around 1900ish. TDEE around 2200ish.