Are we missing a trick

Options
bizarrefish
bizarrefish Posts: 41 Member
With the right approach (or, as the internets calls it, 'one weird old tip'), some pretty incredible things can be achieved.

We're perhaps all missing a trick here or there, be it with fat loss or relationships or whatever.

If you think you've stumbled upon something in your years being alive that other people might be missing, and might find life-changingly useful, stick it here. Perhaps we can all learn something.

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    most people use WAY too large hooks when they go sunfish fishing.
  • bizarrefish
    Options
    I found that having a goal of succeeding doesn't work for me. My goal is to make progress, it doesn't matter how slow. If something is on a time limit such that slow current progress will not be worthwhile, then that isn't considered progress. It sounds the same as setting a normal goal, but it works subtly differently in my head.
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    Some people take too long to tie their shoelaces.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    forgiveness is NOT for the person you are forgiving it's for YOU so you can move on.
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    RavenLibra wrote: »
    forgiveness is NOT for the person you are forgiving it's for YOU so you can move on.
    I love you.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Motivation is worthless, because it presupposes that you only do the things you want to do.

Discipline will get you where you need to be, because it means doing what must be done, when it must be done, whether you want to do it or not.
  • bizarrefish
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    most people use WAY too large hooks when they go sunfish fishing.
    Just looked up what a sunfish is. Damn, that's a big fish.

TIL!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

That's a good one.

• bizarrefish
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

That's a good one.

agreed
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Speaking of fishing, if you are gonna be fishing in a farm pond or a lake, and you see all the cows are lying down on the way out to the fishing hole, turn around. Fish don't bite when cows are laying down.
  • Becka4Real
    Becka4Real Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Motivation is worthless, because it presupposes that you only do the things you want to do.

Discipline will get you where you need to be, because it means doing what must be done, when it must be done, whether you want to do it or not.

This is awesome. I am actually going to write that down!
  • bizarrefish
    Options
    Zyaedra wrote: »
    I've found that any changes I make with the goal of calming/curing any insecurities I have that are based on what others project toward me will only be temporary. However, the changes I make that are based on how I view myself will be long lasting/permanent.

Awesome stuff! Am now asking myself how many items on the 'things wrong with me' list are actually mine.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Zyaedra wrote: »
    I've found that any changes I make (occupation, education, health, etc) with the goal of calming/curing any insecurities I have that are based on what others project toward me will only be temporary. However, the changes I make that are based on how I view/feel about myself will be long lasting/permanent.

Very much like the changes that are made out of self-loathing. Exercise and healthy eating isn't a form of punishment, it's what you do because you love your body enough to take care of it.

• MrsBooBear
    MrsBooBear Posts: 12,619 Member
    Options

QFT!