"Runner's High" Experiences

Options
I just ran my first half-marathon last weekend, and it was a wonderful experience! I averaged a little over 10:30/mile pace, which is nothing speedy, but not too slow either.

Only on a couple of my longer training runs did I feel "really good" during the run... I mean, nothing was hurting, breathing was easy and steady, not too hot, not too cold, etc. I felt like I could have run a lot longer, but didn't because I didn't want to risk injury. I wondered at the time if that's what people meant when they talked about "runner's high." To me, it wasn't euphoria, it was more like being in "the zone," but only for about half a mile or so.

During the race, however, there were several times when I felt like running was just so effortless and comfortable. Miles 9-12 were when I felt it most strongly, and even had a smile creep onto my face at the wonder of that feeling. :) When I looked back at my splits, those were actually my fastest miles after my first!

So while I still didn't experience any kind of elevated state of happiness, I think, for me, the runner's high must be that feeling like I could run forever.

What about you other runners? How would you describe your runner's high experiences?

Replies

• SchweddyGirl
    SchweddyGirl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I don't shut up when I am in a runner's high. Ask my best friend Julianne, who was able to go down to the field and medal me on my first full marathon. :D
  • yogsothoth
    Options
    My wife gets the "runner's high." I don't. It doesn't matter what I do, or for how long, or how fit I am... a lengthy cardio event is, well, pretty unpleasant for the entire time.

It sounds like it must be nice! Wish I could get there.
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    it usually hits me at around 6 or 7. some runs, nothing. same feeling, i feel like i can run forever effortlessly & i am all smiles about it. call me crazy, but i can just about remember each time i have felt that way. the weather, the road & sounds, etc. it's one of my favorites places to be, the runner's zone.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    My runner's high usually hits anywhere from miles 4-6. Doesn't last for more than a couple of minutes, but it is great...that feeling of being in perfect sync and that I could run forever.

I also feel great after a run for completing it, especially if I didn't want to run (bad weather days).
  • tostaky
    tostaky Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am sometimes in the zone as uou describe but i have also experienced the runner high.
    For me everything is just so intense for a minute, like a mini-orgasm. It is usually at the end of a race, i sprint, the music is loud, the people are cheering... And boom: Runners high! Very intense for a minute or so and it slowly wears off over the next half an hour or so.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    A little past mile 3 I typically get into a nice zone where I think about things. Things other than running. I don't know that you'd call it a high but the running part doesn't really sit at the front of my mind. That sort of subsides around mile 11 but then it tends to feel easier again after a mile of "Hey, this is a long run" till around mile 18. Then again you feel like "Meh, this is a bit too far."

I wouldn't call it a "high" but more like you're just enjoying your time outside and not having any real responsibilities other than putting one foot in front of the other.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 1/2! That is wonderful!

On most runs I get into the zone about mile 2.5 and just focus. I will admit that while training for my full I cried after I finished my first 20 mile run. I cried when I finished the marathon as well. I just felt really good and they were happy tears for sure. I also had a delayed cry on Bourbon St. a few hours post race and a couple of hurricanes in.
  • logicalinks
    logicalinks Posts: 89 Member
    Options

On most runs I get into the zone about mile 2.5 and just focus. I will admit that while training for my full I cried after I finished my first 20 mile run. I cried when I finished the marathon as well. I just felt really good and they were happy tears for sure. I also had a delayed cry on Bourbon St. a few hours post race and a couple of hurricanes in.

I almost cried DURING my race when I was in the zone and thinking how far I've come since last year. I was wondering if I'd cry at the finish, but I didn't. I just grinned like an idiot for several minutes. I'm sure if I ever do a marathon, it will be overwhelming to the point of tears. :)

• arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    For me the "high" usually comes after completing a run or hitting a PR. I was on cloud 9 after hitting my 5K and half marathon PRs in the last few months. It's an amazing feeling to cover a distance in a time you never thought you could - but those races were NOT easy. Particularly the 5k was a full-on effort that required me basically telling myself to keep going at a crazy pace when everything in me is telling me to slow down. lol.

I will say I often find that I get a second wind after about 30 or 60 minutes into a long, slow run.

Congrats on your half. Catch the bug to do a full yet? :)
  • arussell134
    Options

I almost cried DURING my race when I was in the zone and thinking how far I've come since last year. I was wondering if I'd cry at the finish, but I didn't. I just grinned like an idiot for several minutes. I'm sure if I ever do a marathon, it will be overwhelming to the point of tears. :)

I frequently cry at random times during a race, besides crossing the finish line. Usually the start of a half or full marathon gets me choked up, as well as the final mile(s). ;) I cried during my first 5K because I realized what an amazing experience it was to be running a race like that. That was over 15 years and many races ago.... ;)

• logicalinks
    Options

Thanks! I have moments when I think I probably "could" do it, but just not sure I want to put in all the training anytime soon. Definitely planning to do more halfs though! Might think about a full next year to celebrate turning 55 and getting bumped into a new age group. :)

• arussell134
    Options

Thanks! I have moments when I think I probably "could" do it, but just not sure I want to put in all the training anytime soon. Definitely planning to do more halfs though! Might think about a full next year to celebrate turning 55 and getting bumped into a new age group. :)

Yeah, I totally get that. :) I'm thinking I'll want to do another full at some point, but I want to make sure I have the time and ability level to do it well.

Good luck on your next half... wherever it ends up being!

• logicalinks
    Options
    BTW, I not only love running, I enjoy runners. As a group, they're some of the nicest, most willing-to-share people I've found. Only photography enthusiasts seem to compare... at least in my experience. :)

I'm enjoying hearing what other people feel when they run and impressed with those who've gone much further (and faster, I'm sure) than I!
  • logicalinks
    edited February 2015
    Options
    For me the "high" usually comes after completing a run or hitting a PR. I was on cloud 9 after hitting my 5K and half marathon PRs in the last few months. It's an amazing feeling to cover a distance in a time you never thought you could - but those races were NOT easy. Particularly the 5k was a full-on effort that required me basically telling myself to keep going at a crazy pace when everything in me is telling me to slow down. lol.

I will say I often find that I get a second wind after about 30 or 60 minutes into a long, slow run.

Just curious, if you don't mind me asking, what were your PRs for the 5k and half? I'm always interested to hear what others run.
  • arussell134
    Options
    5K PR = 26:24. Current goal is to break 25 minutes. I think this is very doable because the 26:24 race had a fair amount of incline in the final mile.

Half PR = 2:06.41. Current goal is to break 2 hours.

It's also worth mentioning, I used to run 10-11 min/miles. Last year, I got more serious about becoming a better runner and I've stopped telling myself I'm here to finish. I now tell myself I'm here to compete, and that I'm fast, etc. It's amazing what the mindset change and focused training has done to improve my times. ;)
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Congratulations on your half!! What a fabulous achievement! :smile:

For me the "high" happens after about 5 miles and lasts a few miles. It seems like mile #4 is a killer on every single run--probably because I ran a lot of 5Ks in the past year and my body wants to be done at that distance. When I'm on a longer run, I know I've hit my groove when I settle into what feels like my "cruising pace" and can sense each mile mark with minimal glances at my Garmin. It's also when I start singing along (badly) to whatever's playing on my iPod. Last time it was the soundtrack to Pitch Perfect. Good thing I live in the boonies!
  • Wendy98
    Wendy98 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    5K PR = 26:24. Current goal is to break 25 minutes. I think this is very doable because the 26:24 race had a fair amount of incline in the final mile.

It's also worth mentioning, I used to run 10-11 min/miles. Last year, I got more serious about becoming a better runner and I've stopped telling myself I'm here to finish. I now tell myself I'm here to compete, and that I'm fast, etc. It's amazing what the mindset change and focused training has done to improve my times. ;)

I believe you can reach those goals! I first started running when I was in my mid-twenties. I ran my first marathon at 27 with a time of 4:14. I was so thrilled to run a marathon. My goal was to average a 10 min/mile pace. I ran a few more and then had to stop running for a couple of years because of rheumatoid arthritis. It went into remission after the birth of my 3rd child and I slowly began running again. I was in my mid-thirties and started to get really serious about my running. I ran a marathon PR at age 38 with a time of 3:14 and easily qualified for Boston. In the past 4 months I have PR'd in 5K and half marathon and I am 40. It amazes me that my body can deliver results even though I am getting older. I am so much better shape than when I was in my 20s. Of course my problem now is that I push too hard sometimes. Recovery is a little rougher with age.
  • arussell134
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Wendy98 wrote: »

I believe you can reach those goals! I first started running when I was in my mid-twenties. I ran my first marathon at 27 with a time of 4:14. I was so thrilled to run a marathon. My goal was to average a 10 min/mile pace. I ran a few more and then had to stop running for a couple of years because of rheumatoid arthritis. It went into remission after the birth of my 3rd child and I slowly began running again. I was in my mid-thirties and started to get really serious about my running. I ran a marathon PR at age 38 with a time of 3:14 and easily qualified for Boston. In the past 4 months I have PR'd in 5K and half marathon and I am 40. It amazes me that my body can deliver results even though I am getting older. I am so much better shape than when I was in my 20s. Of course my problem now is that I push too hard sometimes. Recovery is a little rougher with age.

THANK YOU for sharing your story. I have run three full marathons, but that was in my 20s and my fastest time was 5:09. Granted, that was Seattle which is a notoriously hilly course. Now that I'm watching my times go down on other distances, I'm starting to toy with the dream of qualifying for Boston. My game plan is to just focus on becoming a better runner this year and then maybe attempt a full in mid- to late 2016. At this point, I don't want to just finish a marathon.

I'm glad you shared your story. It gives me a lot of hope.

EDITED TO ADD: I'd love to know your PR 5k and half times, too!

• logicalinks
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I started using Couch to 5K in mid-August, 2014. I enjoyed it so much that I went right into the half marathon program!

I've only one run 5K (time: 28:31) and one half marathon (time: 2:22:41), so those are my PBs so far. :) I'm running another half at the end of March, and hoping to trim down to 2:15 since it's a much flatter course.

Joleneee, good job!! Keep up your training, and you will make it!! Just make sure not to overtrain because of enthusiasm! It will go a long way to helping avoid injury.
  • logicalinks
    Options

Awesome times!! Keep up the good work!