I want to see it

Options
here is a question for you...... when does one actually start to see the weight loss? I see it on the scale and I feel it in my clothing, but visually when does it start to show? I know it is different for each person. Maybe I should not look at the whole picture in the mirror each day, maybe then I will shock myself and see a change.

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It took me about 20 pounds before I noticed the change in the mirror. But it's definitely different for everyone.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    It will vary. Took me until recently (have lost 35 so far) but my coworkers were seeing it after 10 lbs. I got comments from customers too that frequent the store. So, they all saw it long before I did, but I'm starting to see the physical change more now. Have a ways to go still though but found things I enjoy that require being active, which has really helped.

I did take pictures and it's advised to do that to compare. I need to take new ones but to see the whole picture I have to stand on a step stool cause I don't have a full length mirror. Plus they will be great later when putting together a set of before and after. :wink:
  • shadowloss
    shadowloss Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I have noticed minimal, but still some reduction in size. Clothes are baggy and feeling better, but I personally don't see a great change.

Other people started to notice at about 10% loss. For me that was about 26lbs. Comments made lead me to believe they noticed before, but didn't say anything until about 10% loss. It took me about 3 months to get there, although most of the weight dropped the first month.

As stated, everyone is different, so be patient.
  • ryanbrowning115
    ryanbrowning115 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I think that other people will start to notice before you will. Also, try not to think about a specific number on the scale, take measurements and weekly pictures, that will help you see the results and how all your hard work is paying off!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    The mirror is deceptive. I've taken a photo once a month. After 4 months I think my body is really starting to be visibly different looking in the photos.
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I noticed visible changes in the first 10lbs. My back-fat firmed up, my arms gained definition right away, my butt got rounder and more perky and my face looks less puffy. My posture also improved, which made me look taller and slimmer.
  • Rafase282
    Rafase282 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It's different for everyone but generally it takes about a month or few weeks in you go to the gym. If you can see the difference on the scale and not in the mirror then the solution is to stop checking daily. You might not notice it now, but others probably can tell as they don't see you as often.
  • drs64
    drs64 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    The mirror is deceptive. I've taken a photo once a month. After 4 months I think my body is really starting to be visibly different looking in the photos.

I do the same thing. Any time I feel like I'm making no progress and get impatient, or the days I just really wanna splurge, I open up the folder with my monthly photos. Hits me like a ton of bricks every time when I see how far I've come. Makes me realize that progress is being made, and that the eating an entire chocolate fudge cake would be a terrible idea.

When you look in the mirror each day, especially when trying to critique your physique and you always hone in on your problem spots its easy to miss the big picture.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    For me, even 5 or 10 pounds can make a big difference. Strange given that I am a larger person...maybe this is because I am curvy?

Take pictures of yourself--sometimes it is easier to notice change in pictures than in the mirror on an everyday basis.
  • Danni_peck
    Options
    I would say take pictures and look in the mirror. It's a process.
  • LuckyMe2017
    LuckyMe2017 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Pics! I have lost 28 pounds and still see the same person in the mirror. I read another post where someone had lost over 100, but still saw the 315 pound her in the mirror sometimes. In the same way, I never really saw the 145 pound me emerging into the 212 pound me in the mirror.
    Rely on a smaller pair of pants or a dress (or pics), not the mirror.
    Congrats on the lost!
  • vbaez6
    vbaez6 Posts: 18
    Options
    Thats great that the numbers are going down. I would follow your own advice and not rely on the mirror so much everyday. You know the numbers are dropping so why rush the process! Good luck and I'm sending motivation and patience your way!
  • LuAOlsen
    LuAOlsen Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    update....My sister had an old picture of me and the other day she took another pic of me and I FINALLY see the change starting to happen....It has just brought so much excitement. I foresee good things in my near future....Thank you to all of you for your input. I greatly appreciate it.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 45lbs, and people at work are finally just starting to comment on it now.

My mom started commenting at around 10lbs lost.

I started seeing it somewhere around 20lbs.
  • LuAOlsen
    Options
    It is just getting so exciting to see it and now I have so much more drive to accomplish my goals.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I should have taken pictures - my favorite black trousers have gone from panic-inducingly tight to nice and loose and comfy, but I don't see any change at all in the mirror. That's only @14 lbs though.
  • LuAOlsen
    Options
    Good job SofaKing6