Advice please

Options
I have struggled with my hips, butt, and legs for as long as I can remember. Even when I lose weight, they are still thicker than the rest of my body. Any advise on how to tone these areas better? I love cardio, but when it comes to weights, I'm rather clueless.. However, I've just bought a vectra home gym to try to get better in this area.. Any advice is appreciated :)

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce, but lift heavy things.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Body's gonna lose fat wherever it wants...no way to make it go from one area over another.

Just gotta lose weight overall by eating at a calorie deficit, and add in weights to keep the muscle mass you do have.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Body's gonna lose fat wherever it wants...no way to make it go from one area over another.

Just gotta lose weight overall by eating at a calorie deficit, and add in weights to keep the muscle mass you do have.

Yep^

• gonnaloseit4ever
    Options
    Even when I was at my lightest, they are still thicker.. I understand how losing weight works, this question was in regards to targeting a toning area.. Different exercises that target these areas for example..
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    First of all, gorgeous picture you have attached to your OP! Love the dress and you look stunning. However, I get that we all focus on our "flaws" and I know I sound like a broken-record on this site, but I too once thought I was doomed to be pear shaped for life with cellulite on my thighs. Then, I discovered heavy lifting. Completely changed my shape! I am now proportionate, can wear shorts with confidence and I don't have to rely on cardio to keep me in this form.

Start a serious lifting program, honestly! And by 'serious" I just mean an actual program so that you have a routine, hit all the major muscle groups, and remember to keep adding on and challenging yourself.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    Even when I was at my lightest, they are still thicker.. I understand how losing weight works, this question was in regards to targeting a toning area.. Different exercises that target these areas for example..

Right, and again, you can't spot reduce. Are you doing any strength training?
  • gonnaloseit4ever
    Options
    Thank you so much! I've just never lifted before. I know that it is definitely the missing piece, it just seems so intimidating. I don't want to hurt myself or get too bulky. But I am so excited to try it!
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    You won't get bulky, eating at a deficit.

Start slow, ask for help if need be.
  • Hornsby
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Thank you so much! I've just never lifted before. I know that it is definitely the missing piece, it just seems so intimidating. I don't want to hurt myself or get too bulky. But I am so excited to try it!

Start slow. Work on form first. You will not build muscle (get bulky) if you are eating in a calorie deficit.

• dbah2012
    dbah2012 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Is cross fit considered heavy lifting? I'm pear shaped myself and would love to be smaller on my bottom half.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

You're not listening. There ARE no exercises that will tone or reduce any specific area. If you are genetically predisposed to carry a little more heft in the lower part of your body (like me) then you are genetically predisposed to carry a little more heft in the lower parts of your body. You can lose fat covering your muscles by maintaining a deficit and by lifting weights, but you don't get to choose from where. Your genes decide that, unfortunately. Just keep going, and you'll get there, eventually.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    If you're just starting out lifting, you should really work with a trainer. It's key for developing technique and form that will yield the results you want and help limit the chance of injury.
  • shaunsmoot
    shaunsmoot Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You look amazing in your photo. I have the same problem area. Strength training is where you'll get results. I have read many articles that say that you are not able to spot reduce, you have to eat healthy & stay within your calorie deficit to start seeing the lbs drop off. You need to realize that our adipose (fat) lies over the top of our muscles so you can see how important it is to focus on losing weight to start seeing definition underneath. Many women fear weights due to lack of knowledge. The only way you'll bulk up is if you're producing a large amount of testosterone (which I highly doubt)or if you're taking hormone replacement therapy (RHT) which will bulk up the muscles. You'll love strength training especially when you start seeing the muscle definition & start seeing results. Good luck.
  • RebelDiamond
    RebelDiamond Posts: 188 Member
    Options

Putting on muscle isn't easy for women (and requires maintenance) so if you feel you're getting "too bulky" for your taste you'll have plenty of time to change your routine. My advice would be to see a Personal Trainer and have them write up a program for you, express your concerns/goals and hopefully they can tailor a program for your needs.
  • gonnaloseit4ever
    Options
    Thank you again. I am still new to this arena, and clearly still have a lot to learn. I'm trying to lose fat and gain muscle. Previously, I had only ever focused on losing weight (cardio). Which can be very discouraging when you still aren't seeing what you'd hope. Hopefully I can get this figured out :)