Options

Replies

• SR_86
    SR_86 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    ajwall3 wrote: »
    tdc8557 wrote: »
    Brolympus wrote: »
    Former (and maybe still slightly) skinny-fat dude here.

The secret was heavy, compound lifts, eating an absolute ton, and keeping the cardio down to just a 10-15 min warmup before lifting. That is it.

I was using isolating exercises like machines and such, but I didn't have any progress, and attributed it to my body type. I also was unaware of the mountains of food I actually needed to consume until I started counting calories.

I started getting serious about it 9 months ago, upgraded to a big-kid gym, conquered my fear of the rack, and the results make me upset at all the time I wasted before trying to get in shape.

I've never done real weights at a real gym before and I find it very intimidating. Any tips for how to get over it?

Also any good ideas on how to work out the calories I should be taking in? A lot of things I've seen have said to multiply my body weight by 10, but that seems really low to me.

Don't let it intimidate you! Look, I was super nervous about starting a weight lifting regimen at my gym because they're all buff guys there and I'm this tiny shrimp of a girl lol I didn't want to look clueless or out of my depth. I highly recommend stronglifts 5x5. Www.stronglifts.com there's an app as well that's super easy. If you can't find a friend to go with you (even if it's once, it'll help you feel more at ease) ask someone who works at the gym to show you where the equipment is. Tell them what exercises you're planning to do and they'll explain or demonstrate, watch your form and help you get introduced to it. Stronglifts has videos that are good in helping proper form. Stronglifts use compound exercises not isolated muscle groups. You work more at once with compound weight exercises (squats, barbell row, bench press and deadlifts and overhead press)

You can TOTALLY do this. All it takes is a few times and it's the same exercises so you'll get into a new comfortable routine.

You got this! Plus gym ppl are usually really nice and willing to help!

I love this advice, thank you! I plan on doing the 5x5 eventually!
  • ajwall3
    ajwall3 Posts: 187
    Options
    FWIW The first day I went to the gym with the goal to bypass the cardio and go into the separate free weight room... I had a panic attack and didn't get out of my car. I drove home and cried. BUT! I had a friend go with me and I overcame the fear. Now we lift together when we can but I've gotten used to the form/weights/atmosphere after only 3 lifting days. Don't let fear win :)
  • ajwall3
    Options
    As for calories, set it to maintenance and aim for that number. Kick up your protein too!
  • SR_86
    Options
    As for calories, set it to maintenance and aim for that number. Kick up your protein too!

MFP set my protein to 20% but I upped it to 25%. Eating maintenance calories and not eating back exercise calories. I hope I'm doing all the right things to change body composition :)
  • ajwall3
    Options
    I'm new to this too so we'll figure it out together! Feel free to friend me! :smiley:
  • SR_86
    Options
    I'm new to this too so we'll figure it out together! Feel free to friend me! :smiley:

I have no idea how to do that lol
  • sappy42
    sappy42 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I think "skinny fat" is where I am as well :( I want desperately to lose the spare tire around my hips. I have the mommy belly hang as part of that. I'm doing Stronglifts right now but may not be able to progress if I can't find a gym that's affordable since I have limited free weight equipment and safety is an issue. Wish gyms would let you share memberships lol
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Couple of things to keep in mind: 1) if one is truly "skinny fat" (I.e. Low level of fat free mass for one's height), that is usually a genetic body type. The prescription is still the same (resistance training), but the expectations also need to be realistic as to how many pounds of muscle can be gained. 2) having excess fat in an unwanted area is not necessarily "skinny fat". Fat distribution patterns are also inherited--someone who preferentially stores fat around the middle will struggle to become super lean and defined in that area, even if they achieve low levels of body fat.
  • primalsarah
    primalsarah Posts: 17 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
  • primalsarah
    primalsarah Posts: 17 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I was beginning to see signs that I was losing muscle, becoming more soft than I wanted and it was because I was burning to much by running/elliptical and eating to little. I'm only running once a week (as opposed to 4 miles a day 6 days/wk) and heavy lifting with stronglifts 3x week. I'm eating at maintenance level (1710) as opposed as before (1200). Eat 1g protein fir 1 lb of body weight. I eat 115 a day. Eggs, good fats, protein powder helps me get half what I aim for. I was on my way to being SF but I had to stop and change my mindset before it got worse. I'd read up on it before and could tell that's where I was headed. I'm seeing a lot of good results after a week. Heavy weights and protein seem to be key.

When you say "eat at maintenance" do you mean your TDEE at "couch potato/no exercise" or your TDEE with "exercise at blank times a week"??

great info!
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    OP-look up Stong lifts, Starting Strength, Strong Curves or the New Rules of Lifting For Women.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Was skinny fat. Decided to do a bulk while lifting heavy. Gained quite a bit of weight, now just a heavier jiggly version. Now working on a cut and hoping there was some muscle gain with the weight increase. Rinse and repeat.
  • dwolfe1985
    dwolfe1985 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »
    Was skinny fat. Decided to do a bulk while lifting heavy. Gained quite a bit of weight, now just a heavier jiggly version. Now working on a cut and hoping there was some muscle gain with the weight increase. Rinse and repeat.

Yeah you and me both, was skinny fat now im just fat lol
  • tdc8557
    tdc8557 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the responses! I went to a real gym and lifted weights for the first time. You guys were right, it isn't nearly as scary as I thought. Maybe in a few months I'll check back in and be skinny fit ;)
  • Alassonde
    Alassonde Posts: 228 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Skinny fat here. Almost all of my excess weight is on my stomach; I know I may or may not be able to do much about that. I have been doing the "you are your own gym" program for a few months now, and eating at maintenance or slightly over. I know I've gained some muscle, which is great, but my measurements haven't changed one way or the other. I'm happy they haven't gone up, so I guess I'm accomplishing my goal. In 6 months I've gained about 4-5 pounds but so far it hasn't affected how my clothes fit. If it starts to I may have to rethink my plan.

Edited to add: my profile photo is deceptive, those yoga pants have some kind of girdle-like effect because my stomach is actually bigger than that.
  • Katerina9408
    Katerina9408 Posts: 276 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    tdc8557 wrote: »
    Anyone else here dealing with the skinny fat problem? If so, how did you tone yourself up to being skinny fit? Having some ab definition would be nice right now.

Here,here :D (48 kilos,161 sm)I just don't know what am I doin wrong. I work with heavy weights (for me they are heavy, 10 kilo and 4) but maybe it takes time idk and more protein
  • Katerina9408
    Katerina9408 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I was beginning to see signs that I was losing muscle, becoming more soft than I wanted and it was because I was burning to much by running/elliptical and eating to little. I'm only running once a week (as opposed to 4 miles a day 6 days/wk) and heavy lifting with stronglifts 3x week. I'm eating at maintenance level (1710) as opposed as before (1200). Eat 1g protein fir 1 lb of body weight. I eat 115 a day. Eggs, good fats, protein powder helps me get half what I aim for. I was on my way to being SF but I had to stop and change my mindset before it got worse. I'd read up on it before and could tell that's where I was headed. I'm seeing a lot of good results after a week. Heavy weights and protein seem to be key.
    Is soy protein good ? (I am vegan so I can not eat animal products)
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Can I be skinny fet? E being the vowel between A and I.
    Little old lady here. I lift heavy for me.
    That means most of my lifting is dumb bells and body weight, but have moved onto the oly bar for dead lifts. Working on 5x5 moving to the oly bar one exercise at a time.
    Had no problem walking into the gym at the local rec centre, explaining to the on duty trainer what I wanted to achieve, and getting him to show me where to start. He was a little bemused because most, at my age, do the rounds of the machines.
    I find, being small 5'1 100lb and 61, that I am playing a constant catch up game with my muscles. They want to deteriorate as I am trying to build them.
    I keep my protein at 80g as that is my approx LBM.

Just take a deep breath and walk in. Lifters don't bite.

Cheers, h.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Just take a deep breath and walk in. Lifters don't bite.

Well, some of us do. But I'm current on my shots.