Numb hands when doing cardio

Options
Hi can I ask for some advice. Does anybodies hands go numb whilst working out on a crosstrainer or treadmill or on any cardio exercise machine?
I suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome from time to time but wondered if this was because I'm new to exercise?
Thanks

Replies

• Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    how do you hold your arms? New runners occasionally get something sort of like this, but it's from holding their upper body strangely and kinking things when they run.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Hi can I ask for some advice. Does anybodies hands go numb whilst working out on a crosstrainer or treadmill or on any cardio exercise machine?
    I suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome from time to time but wondered if this was because I'm new to exercise?
    Thanks

No, it's not because you're new to exercise. That is unusual.
  • hlvincent15
    hlvincent15 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    On the crosstrainer I can only reach the bottom of the ski bars as they swing back and forth. Otherwise I'm holding onto the centre handles on both the crosstrainer or treadmill.
    It usually starts to play up after an 30 mins to an hour. I thought it was a blood circulation problem. I don't know why this happens tbh.
  • greyhoundphile
    greyhoundphile Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have carpal tunnel and a lot of exercise makes my hands numb. Unfortunately a lot of arm exercising makes my hands numb when I sleep (bigger muscles? ha!). Its something I've just learned to cope with but on the treadmill aim for relaxed, loose arms. Don't hold on. Similarly with bike machines, I find if I don't hold on to the handles it works better for me.
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    My hands go numb when in doing the squat portion of body pump. I guess because my hands are up above my heart.

My hands also go numb when I read laying down though.
  • wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    you may have an extra rib at the top that compresses nerves and blood flow when you have your arms raised for a long time - or you could have another area that is compressing a nerve from that position. It is not usually dangerous though. Be careful if you have this problem while lifting - you do not want to accidently drop your weights because your hands/arms go numb
  • hlvincent15
    hlvincent15 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your advices. With someone with a history of carpal tunnel syndrome it was either that or something else. I'm hoping this will improve or dissappear as I continue.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Happens to me riding a bicycle, you are probably putting weight on your hands somehow.
  • Valrotha
    Valrotha Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    You should go see your doctor about this. It might be nothing, but then again it might be a symptom of a larger problem.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I get numb hands doing certain things and it's due to the way I hold my hands/fingers/wrists plus poor circulation.