Calculating nutritional content of strained homemade yogurt

Options
I made my first batch of homemade yogurt this week, but am struggling with how to calculate the nutritional content. I strained off about 50% of the volume, so obviously some of the calories would stay in the whey, but not quite sure how much? I've googled, but get conflicting info if it's sweet whey or acid whey, and the nutritional content varies obviously on the milk used...(Full fat, 2%, etc.) Thoughts?

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Did you uh .. Enter the recipe into the recipe builder
  • chouflour
    chouflour Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Whey from yogurt is sweet whey. To get acid whey, you have to add an acid (like you do when making ricotta or paneer.)
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    This is so funny, I thought I was the only person to have this problem because no one else is nutso enough to make their own yogurt :joy:
    The problem is whey has a lot less calories than the actual yogurt that is left, so the more you drain it the more calorie dense it becomes, honestly I just find a brand of yogurt that is the same percentage of milk fat (whole, 2% etc.) and is made with just milk and culture, no thickeners, and just log that. It's a compromise, but it's not stalled my weight loss at all and I eat homemade yogurt probably once a day.
  • PMcCaughan
    PMcCaughan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Did you uh .. Enter the recipe into the recipe builder

Yes, but the whey is strained off, therefore taking a large perfentage of sugar and some calories with it.

Thanks JenniDaisy, I'll probably just do that. :) now to calculate the whey when I add it to a smoothie! ;)
  • alexib
    alexib Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks JenniDaisy I was getting desperate. I want to buy a yogurt maker and make it myself too, it's getting expensive to buy since I like to eat it everyday but I was stalled at how I would know the calorie info. I feel better now
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I make yogurt in my crockpot every single week. It comes out nice and thick all by itself. But there is a listing in the database for whole milk yogurt plain, as I use whole milk, and i use that as my logging for yogurt.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I also thought I was the only one with trying to enter homemade yogurt. Even with entering the ingredients correctly, I've wondered how accurate the calorie count is due to the nature of the process.