Confused

Options
I've been doing MFP for over 2 years I've lost 34 pounds the problem is in the last 3 months I have gained 10 pounds and can not lose them. I'm 44 year old female and I'm very frustrated! Any ideas what is going on or what I can do!

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    You are no longer eating in a deficit. How has your logging been? Did you recently have a change in activity?
  • BrittanieGo
    BrittanieGo Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Have you had labs done? Any change in medication, thyroid, pregnancy?
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    You are eating more calories than you are losing. Simple as that.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary?
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Exact same thing happened to me 3 years ago (I'm 47 now!). It was like suddenly the rules changed. I am still healthy weight now (barely) but I gained 18 lbs back!

I suspect hormonal fluctuations. Your metabolism has slowed for whatever reason and now what was a deficit is no longer. So likely you will have to eat less. :(

I'm so sorry. this is a difficult journey for women of our age. Friend me. I don't have answers, but I will share what I've been trying, and what has and hasn't helped.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Are you using a food scale? :expressionless:
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    atcrooms wrote: »
    I've been doing MFP for over 2 years I've lost 34 pounds the problem is in the last 3 months I have gained 10 pounds and can not lose them. I'm 44 year old female and I'm very frustrated! Any ideas what is going on or what I can do!

After years of yo yo weight 4 months ago I cut out sugar and other processed carbs and I have lost 20 more pounds of a weight regain after a 30 pound lose in 2011.

• MommaJ15
    MommaJ15 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm also a 44 yr old female and I'm trying to lose the 20 pounds I gained over the past couple of years. It's not coming off nearly as fast anymore. Maybe I'll try tigerblue's advice and eat less. But when I do that, mfp tells me I'm not eating enough. Confusing.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    If MFP is yelling at you, you're probably going below 1200 calories a day, which isn't advisable in the long term. You're not giving your body enough of the nutrients it needs. Have you tried tweaking your marcos? More protein? Less simple carbs? Increase healthy fats and fiber and less added sugar and salt? Some people will say it's the total calories that make the difference, but for me, what I eat has made a difference.

Women start to lose muscle mass after 30--as much as 1% per year. I read that, I think, in Women's Health. Are you doing anything to improve your fitness and build muscle? That can make a difference.
  • MommaJ15
    MommaJ15 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl,
    Thanks for your reply. I don't eat a lot of junk food, however I probably don't pay enough attention to protein/carb ratio. I should also try to cut back on my salt intake. At my age, I think that's becoming more and more important. A few weeks ago I started working out 5 days a week at a moderate level and I definitely feel stronger. I think my biggest problem has definitely been my diet. Like you said, I need to tweak what I eat a little (nothing too drastic) and hopefully I'll get back into my jeans soon. Thanks again.