10 Days in and just introducing myself!!! Scared to step on the scale.

Options
So I started this program and have not stepped on a scale yet since I started. I'm ten days in and scared to. If the success isn't there, I know I'll be disappointed and eat junk.......I want to lose 40 lbs. but I need to take this one pound at a time. I am 5'11. I currently weigh approximately 235lbs.........I would love to get to below 200lbs again.........I am a male, 42 years old, married with 3 kids.........if you have any advice, success stories, information or greetings I am all ears.

Replies

• McFuzzy
    Options
    I started this about a week ago, I'm 5'6" and currently at 277lbs. The work doctor is giving me crap about my weight and I need to lose around 80lbs. I had to do a sleep study and they put me on a cpap machine. I have no clue on how to go about this...
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Until you step on the scale, you won't know if what you're doing is working.

There are different philosophies on how often to weigh yourself. I go for every day and don't sweat the fluctuations (much). Others say weigh only once a week. I might lose 1 pound one week, 4 the next, and 2 the week after that.

Regular weigh-ins, measurement taking, and how the clothes fit are all ways to gauge progress, but you have to have a benchmark and a gauge.

If you haven't lost anything, then you need to look at your habits, but you won't know if you don't look at the scale.
  • McFuzzy
    Options
    Please feel free to add me so we can help each other
  • Delilahhhhhh
    Delilahhhhhh Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Welcome, welcome, patience is the key. Below are my favourite threads and they work!! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it

and there is one success story out of the many thousands that gets me every time

Don't start tomorrow. I spent 10 years starting tomorrow. Start today
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10040017/thinking-of-starting-today-you-might-want-to-check-this-out-pics-inside/p1
  • hezemakiah
    hezemakiah Posts: 157 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    You have to find a way to see it as a positive no matter how it turns out! I agree with EmmaFitzwilliam. If the scale doesn't say what you want it to then take measurements. If that doesn't say what you want it to then don't binge - just adjust your calories in and/or exercise more! Gotta stay positive no matter what - especially knowing there could be fluxuations!
  • sshaeshae18
    Options
    "Don't start tomorrow, start today"...that's the best quote i've heard in my 22yrs on this earth. I am a 5'6 female weighing 318lbs. I downloaded this app yesterday and was going to start today, but for some reason i decided to tell myself "I'll start tomorrow". I've been telling myself that for years. Well i just found out that for ny gf and i to qualify for ivf to have a baby, i have to lose a ton of weight...I finally found something that will motivate me enough to start my weight loss journey, weigh myself every week and don't quit when the numbers arent what i want them to be...instead, do something to fix it.
    Sorry for talking soo much, but i was in your shoes one year ago and quit once the numbers weren't what i wanted to see. Dont make the same mistake i did. Let the numbers encourage you to work harder