Garcinia Cambogia: Effective or Placebo?

Options
annienrivera
annienrivera Posts: 7
edited February 2015 in Introduce Yourself
I had read so much about how Garcinia Cambogia is the newest diet supplement that boasts rapid results. I have always been skeptical about sampling appetite-curbing and fast-action diet supplements for various reasons, but mostly because of the side affects. I asked a few friends about their thoughts and feelings about GC yielding a variety of opinions. The common denominator was skepticism as well as common complaints of headaches, anxiety or jitters, and nausea.

Despite the warnings, I caved and bought a double-pack of GC sold at my local Walmart. I was really nervous about consuming the supplements especially when the directions read: Take 4 tablets every 3 hours, no more than 12 tablets in a 24 hour period. To me, that seemed a bit excessive. I was right. I immediately became lightheaded and I felt my heart rate increase significantly. I was incredibly thirsty for the next few hours afterward too.

I took the second set of 4 tablets just before lunch and again, noticed my heart rate increased and nauseous.

I became very concerned that I was doing more harm than good so I contacted my doctor who really didn't have many positive things to say about GC other than it is the "new diet craze." She recommended I stop taking them immediately.

I returned the package back to Walmart for a refund and just out of curiosity I walked over to the pharmacy and asked a pharmacist his opinion on GC. He told me that GC is not government regulated so therefore any manufacturer could list "clinically-tested" and sell them for a profit.

This disturbs me greatly. What are your opinions of or experiences with GC? Please share.

Replies

• fabianmendez93
    fabianmendez93 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    i take GC with no problems at all? Is the HCA above 60%? .. I hate the fact the ones i bought need 3 per meal 3 times a day, a lot to swallow :( .. Anyway, i didn't feel light headed or any of the symptoms you felt :/
  • fabianmendez93
    fabianmendez93 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    by the way, you need to drink A LOT of water. Maybe that is why you are feeling that way.
  • annienrivera
    Options
    I did drink with plenty of water, but I still had issues. I must have a low tolerance for diet supplements. I get motion sickness easily too and the symptoms felt similar to that.

How successful has GC been for you? Have you noticed a significant weight loss? How long have you been taking GC?
  • lizinfl6
    lizinfl6 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I ordered it on-line after watching Dr. Oz promote it's benefits. It made my husband and I nauseous and have headaches and we stopped after 3 days. The company charged us $89 and it was supposed to be free trial in mail. It was big ordeal and bad customer SVC. Wouldn't recommend
  • ewclark
    Options
    I have taken and currently take the pure genie GC with the purely inspired green coffe bean. I have had a lot of success taking this. I dropped 30 pounds fairly easy and it controlled my out of control appetite. I have tried the Walmart brands but I recommend the slow release tablets.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Snake Oil
  • Delilahhhhhh
    Delilahhhhhh Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    Snake Oil
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ A million times

• didda1
    didda1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    this is what does on with Dr. Oz and his supplement industry. This article is about green coffee, but I would be very surprised if it didnt apply to every single thing he sells.
    disclaimer: I don't like Dr. Oz or other pseudoscience spewing snake oil salesmen very much. http://www.vox.com/2015/1/27/7920779/dr-oz-ftc-complaint
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Placedo/scam. It's just the latest snake oil for big business to make money off vulnerable people.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Complete scam. And if anything is associated with Dr. Oz that should be your sign to run far away in the opposite direction.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    its not the pills you are taking its eating less calories and most likely getting some exercise.not the pill
  • zombiefangirl31
    zombiefangirl31 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I took it a few years ago and it did absolutely nothing for me (nothing good). As a matter of fact, I gained weight despite walking as a means of exercise and transportation. I did experience anxiety and my heart felt like it was going to burst from my chest. It took maybe a week for things to go back to normal. After that nightmare I swore off all quick-fixes.

• annienrivera
    Options
    I don't know what made me want to try GC, but I did and after only a day, I felt it was unnecessary. Instead, I decided to stick with what has been working over the past few years: lifestyle (good, healthy eating) and exercise.

I weighed my heaviest three years ago at 178 lbs. My doctor told me to start a vigorous exercise regime and over the course of one year, I lost 55 lbs.

I struggled with weight gain over the last year, but decided to return to my workout regime, joined a new gym, incorporated weight training into my busy cardio schedule and have now lost 15 lbs in the past three months.