Toning your arms??

Options
Hey Folks,
Can anyone suggest some exercises to tone your arms at home? I have hand weights ranging from 2 lbs to 5 lbs. I've lost 26 pounds and I just bought a dress for my daughter's outdoor wedding the end of June. It fits great, but unlike anything I've worn in years, it's sleeveless. I bought a light knitted shrug to wear over it, but if the weather is warm I'd like to have the option to go without it. Unfortunately my upper arms really need some toning to do that. I only have about 6 weeks, so maybe it's too late already. Thoughts?
Jean

Replies

• RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    push-ups are great overall arm toners!
  • Flocker1979
    Flocker1979 Posts: 96
    Options
    Yoga, specifically the sun salutations, toned my arms and shoulders up like crazy, and really really fast!
  • krissy_pooo
    krissy_pooo Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    unfortunately I dont think 5lb weights will do the trick. it's important to lift as heavy weight as you can to help those muscles shine! but yes pushups are good, as well as tricep dips (with those you are using your own body weight so it works better!)
  • durangocal
    durangocal Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    It's NEVER too late to start! I feel better just doing the exercise and the "burn" I feel lets me know I am working towards the goal I am trying to meet. Just the fact that I did the exercise and feel the difference in my muscles makes me feel great even if I can't visually see the difference right away in the mirror. I think though with six weeks you could make a "visual" difference if you get started right away!
  • knapowell
    knapowell Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Look on youtube, there are a lot of videos specifically for the upper arms.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Yoga, specifically the sun salutations, toned my arms and shoulders up like crazy, and really really fast!

And warrior posses are good for arm and shoulder too
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    try kelly rippa's alphabet, except use weights and focus on your arms. if you have weights there are alot of videos or moves for just that. if you have netflix it has some good videos. like self's bikini body. its alot of arm work. also try doing things that involove punching pull ups or even push ups.
  • maryloo2011
    maryloo2011 Posts: 446
    Options
    That is more than enough time... but girl, you need heavier weights!!!!
  • beachbum8
    beachbum8 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I do tri-cep dips on a chair or couch. Plus some push ups.. (usually done on my knees)
  • sdirbder
    sdirbder Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    You can try the 100 pushup challenge. I am going to to start soon.

http://hundredpushups.com/

I agree with with above posters. There are lots of arm toning excercises online just do um it you feel um.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    For the triceps -- the back side of your upper arms:
    Start with the small weights to get the 'form' correct.
    Standing erect, put the weights behind your head -- at the back of your neck -- with your elbows as high as you can get them. Pretend you are pointing to the ceiling with your elbows.
    Slowly raise the weights ONLY by extending your arms. Keep your elbows pointing to the ceiling.
    The weights should end up directly overhead with your arms vertical.
    (If you have a low ceiling, don't bang the ceiling with the weights!)
    Then, slowly reverse the action, bringing the weights down to the back of your neck.
    Ah - Ah; keep those elbows up. Don't let them sag downward.
    Do at least two sets of a dozen repetitions.
    As you develop the form, increase to the heavier weights.
    Maintain good form.
    AND KEEP THOSE ELBOWS UP!

For the biceps -- the front of your upper arms.
    The little weights probably won't do very much, but you might want to do day ONE with them, just to work on the form. Move to the larger ones after a couple of tries.
    Standing erect, hold the weights with your arms straight down. The weights should be just touching the sides of your hips.
    With the inside of your wrists facing up, slowly bring the weights up. Keep your elbows at the same level as when you started so you will use only your bicep muscle and not your shoulder.
    Bring the weights up to the front of your shoulders, and hold for a second. The inside of your wrists should be facing the front of your shoulders.
    Lower the weights slowly back down to the starting position.
    Do at least two sets of a dozen repetitions.
    AND KEEP THOSE ELBOWS DOWN!
  • Jrh2os
    Jrh2os Posts: 28
    Options
    Thanks for all of the tips and DonM, thanks so much for the great, detailed instructions. I tried them and I think I found muscles I never use (even with my light weights).