Ice Cream

Options
I'm having a movie night tonight and we are enjoying icecream. I planned my day accordingly but I don't want to eat more then I realize.

My question is, how accurate is a food scale for weighing ice cream.

I'm eating Blue Bell Cookies 'n Cream
The serving for a 1/2 cup is 74 g. I'm eating 1 1/2 a cup but the serving is HUGE like an entire average size cereal bowl.
I'll state again I weighed the icecream 3 serving of 1/2 cup and got 222g. It just seems like a lot and I don't want to sabotage myself.

Thanks.

Replies

• Hitesc
    Hitesc Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I would just demolish that tub haha and yes weight scale is accurate. Don't stress over this, even if you did go over just by a little, it won't make a difference. Why restrict yourself? It's not like you're gonna eat ice cream everyday
  • DEJAnoVU
    DEJAnoVU Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the quick reply! It's taking a lot of self restraint to not just go ahead and eat the bowl while I wait on responses
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Just eat it. One and a half cups of ice cream is a decent amount of ice cream. 3/4 of a pint right? The scale should be accurate.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    weight scale is accurate, measuring cups are not.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    DEJAnoVU wrote: »
    I'm having a movie night tonight and we are enjoying icecream. I planned my day accordingly but I don't want to eat more then I realize.

My question is, how accurate is a food scale for weighing ice cream.

I'm eating Blue Bell Cookies 'n Cream
    The serving for a 1/2 cup is 74 g. I'm eating 1 1/2 a cup but the serving is HUGE like an entire average size cereal bowl.
    I'll state again I weighed the icecream 3 serving of 1/2 cup and got 222g. It just seems like a lot and I don't want to sabotage myself.

Thanks.

74 X 3= 222, so you came in on the nose! That happens so rarely for me.

Edit: Wait, I think I read this wrong, nevermind

23rs7thleh5w.gif
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Yep I agree, as long as you weighed it you should be ok. I usually have only a single serving when I have it, and then when I decided to have 2 (so about a cup - can't remember the weight since it varies a bit by type of ice cream - and I was having gelato, which seems more dense than ice cream to me) it seemed like a crazy amount. I just took it to mean that I was finally getting used to what an actual serving size should be.
  • DEJAnoVU
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Thank you again everyone!
    When I visualized 1 1/2 cup of ice cream I imagined it being a lot smaller. So I'm glad I can get chocolate wasted tonight!!!
  • mvexplorer
    mvexplorer Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I actually just ate ice cream and used my scale instead of my measuring cup. I was amazed how big of a difference the measurement was. The measuring cup was allowing me to eat way more than I should have been!!! :s Lesson learned. Measuring by grams from now on!
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Instead of measuring out exactly 3 servings of 74g (222g total), which you describe as "a HUGE" serving, why not put your empty bowl on the scale and start scooping in the ice cream until you have a serving size that you desire and feel comfortable eating. Then check the scale for the weight. It might be that you'll be happy with a 131g serving or perhaps you want 157g.

The food scale is a tool. It works for you. You don't work for the scale.

Edited to add: It helps to look for MFP food entries that use a scale weight measurement (either in grams or oz vs. in volumetric measurements). Then you can easily adjust your serving size to reflect what you are actually eating, per the scale (e.g 131g). However, if you can't find one like that, then don't be afraid of the math. 131g/74g = ~ 1.77 1/2 cup servings.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    mvexplorer wrote: »
    I actually just ate ice cream and used my scale instead of my measuring cup. I was amazed how big of a difference the measurement was. The measuring cup was allowing me to eat way more than I should have been!!! :s Lesson learned. Measuring by grams from now on!

Yep, I weigh everything except liquids, like milk. I just put the plate or bowl right on the scale and then zero it and add my meal, weighing each course separately. I have actually discovered that a serving of cooked rice or pasta is a decent amount.
  • DEJAnoVU
    Options

I did the same exact thing before I got my food scale. Except, I was using measuring cups to measure brown rice. To put things simply, I was eating double the rice I thought.
  • DEJAnoVU
    Options
    minizebu wrote: »
    Instead of measuring out exactly 3 servings of 74g (222g total), which you describe as "a HUGE" serving, why not put your empty bowl on the scale and start scooping in the ice cream until you have a serving size that you desire and feel comfortable eating. Then check the scale for the weight. It might be that you'll be happy with a 131g serving or perhaps you want 157g.

The food scale is a tool. It works for you. You don't work for the scale.

Edited to add: It helps to look for MFP food entries that use a scale weight measurement (either in grams or oz vs. in volumetric measurements). Then you can easily adjust your serving size to reflect what you are actually eating, per the scale (e.g 131g). However, if you can't find one like that, then don't be afraid of the math. 131g/74g = ~ 1.77 1/2 cup servings.

Thank you. That makes a lot more sense. I was basically doing as you suggested.....I continued to add ice cream because I was aiming for a certain number of servings/grams. When in reality, i wouldn't usually eat quite that much ice cream at once. Even though I enjoyed every second of it. I was basically trying to following the serving size exactly as it was stated.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »

Yep, I weigh everything except liquids, like milk. I just put the plate or bowl right on the scale and then zero it and add my meal, weighing each course separately. I have actually discovered that a serving of cooked rice or pasta is a decent amount.

How do you weigh pasta? A serving is 2oz dry but how much after it's been cooked?? I boil enough for the whole family so I can't really weigh it before .... Just curious
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »

How do you weigh pasta? A serving is 2oz dry but how much after it's been cooked?? I boil enough for the whole family so I can't really weigh it before .... Just curious

The same way you weigh anything....Why can't you weigh it before hand, even if you're cooking for your family?
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    DEJAnoVU wrote: »
    Thank you again everyone!
    When I visualized 1 1/2 cup of ice cream I imagined it being a lot smaller. So I'm glad I can get chocolate wasted tonight!!!

I know what you mean. I do this with oil. When I pour it out, thinking I have about a tablespoon, it's usually less than half that.

Ice cream, on the other hand, is quite the opposite for me. I have a giant ceramic salad bowl, and I wish that were the true size of half a cup of ice cream.
  • fallingtrees
    fallingtrees Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm...ice cream. Now you've gone and done it.
  • mvexplorer
    mvexplorer Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

The same way you weigh anything....Why can't you weigh it before hand, even if you're cooking for your family?

I usually only cook for myself, but if I am making a recipe with multiple servings in something like pasta, I will automatically portion it into the number of servings the recipe divides it by. I weigh the pasta before cooking then try to divide evenly into servings using Tupperware after cooking. Might not work if your family would serve themselves, but it's just something I do.

Also helps me not go back for seconds because I automatically put the other potions in the fridge.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I usually only cook for myself, but if I am making a recipe with multiple servings in something like pasta, I will automatically portion it into the number of servings the recipe divides it by. I weigh the pasta before cooking then try to divide evenly into servings using Tupperware after cooking. Might not work if your family would serve themselves, but it's just something I do.

Also helps me not go back for seconds because I automatically put the other potions in the fridge.

This. So, for example, say you cook a whole package of spaghetti, and it has the following nutrition label:

pasta-nutri.gif

So you might want to check and see if they really put 224 grams in the package (often it's more or less), and you know that's 4 servings of 56 grams each. Then you cook it, put it in a tared bowl, and divide that weight by 4. That's a single cooked serving. If your family are serving themselves, just make sure you get your serving out first, or at least do the measurement, before they get any, and you'll be all set.