Starting a routine

Options
I am about 100 lbs overweight and very uncomfortable in my own skin. Getting to the gym is a daily mind battle and once I get there all I feel comfortable doing is cardio. Will doing an hour to two hours of just cardio be beneficial to a long term routine until I feel more comfortable at the gym?

Replies

• KaraAlste
    KaraAlste Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I am about 100 lbs overweight and very uncomfortable in my own skin. Getting to the gym is a daily mind battle and once I get there all I feel comfortable doing is cardio. Will doing an hour to two hours of just cardio be beneficial to a long term routine until I feel more comfortable at the gym?

• AliluniqueLaura
    AliluniqueLaura Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Do they have circuit training? It is usually in an area by itself. I love it as well as cardio. As far as being comfortable, everyone is there for them. I never look at others and I doubt they look at me. Sometimes I realize kinda after the fact that I was working next to another person. Relax and have fun. It is all about you!
  • KaraAlste
    Options
    Absolutey! Its perfectly okay to start gradually because you have a better chance to succeed. And less risk of injury and better recovery. Way to go so far! :)
  • brathmell29
    Options
    Thanks ladies!!
  • KaraAlste
    Options
    KaraAlste wrote: »

• amccoll83
    amccoll83 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Cardio is great.. It's a fantastic fat burner. The only thing that's better is coupling it with resistance training. Cardio workouts typically burn calories during the exercise itself and 1 hour afterwards. Resistance workouts may burn less during the exercise, however they continue to burn calories for 24 hours after the workout is complete. This also builds more muscle and muscle burns fat. A good way to start is a day of cardio followed by a day of resistance training and then cardio then resistance etc.