Gym stories

Options
Anyone have any odd or funny gym stories. Like today i watched a guy walk in without any stretch or warm up he loads 3 45's on each side of the bar, gets a spotter and starts pressing them out, except he's going half way and the left side is only moving about 4 inches off his chest if that wasn't enough he loads on more weight! I'm thinking are you serious. The point is not how much you lift but how you lift.

Replies

• bbb84
    bbb84 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I feel you on this! I see soo many people in the gym stacking on the weight but with poor form. I want to say something to them, not in a negative manner but because I am a helpful person. Poor form does not yield results and could result in injury, but who wants to listen to the fat girl in the gym. :grumble: I just keep my mouth shut and bust out my best form, when it all comes down to it, I can only be accountable for me.
  • richiefixo
    richiefixo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    this is terrible but i once saw a nice lady attempt to use the fancy ellipticals at my gym and after about 20 strides....one leg of the elliptical broke off ........completely.....:|...never saw her again...:(
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    There is a guy I see pretty regularly at my gym that uses the treadmill at full incline and holds himself on by the rails the whole time. He's easy to spot--I mean, he's a tall guy anyway, but he'll be the one 3 feet up in the air.
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    this is terrible but i once saw a nice lady attempt to use the fancy ellipticals at my gym and after about 20 strides....one leg of the elliptical broke off ........completely.....:|...never saw her again...:(

oh no :( i think if I'd broken an elliptical I'd never go back either!

I often see people stood hunched on the elliptical - leaning forward with their bum stuck out. Nooooo! Or people running / using the elliptical and letting their knees drop inwards/outwards and out of line with their feet - I have a maltracking patella myself so I *always* notice if somebody's running bow-legged (or the opposite).
  • srhdwll
    srhdwll Posts: 65
    Options
    There is this lady who works out at the same time that I do every day, she gets on the elliptical with a large iced coffee, I love it! It cracks me up.
  • DPruneda17
    DPruneda17 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I was on the treadmill, and the guy on the treadmill next to me was wearing jeans & a wife-beater. He is just 'walking' on the treadmill, with a bag of cheetos in one hand and a Pepsi in the cupholder, watching the tv in front of him. It was all I could do to not crack a smile! It was pretty funny! (Maybe he didn't have cable at home?!) :wink:
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-03N0gniz9g

my workout partner filmed this terrible form.
    unforunately he's stupid and filmed sideways.
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I was on the treadmill, and the guy on the treadmill next to me was wearing jeans & a wife-beater. He is just 'walking' on the treadmill, with a bag of cheetos in one hand and a Pepsi in the cupholder, watching the tv in front of him. It was all I could do to not crack a smile! It was pretty funny! (Maybe he didn't have cable at home?!) :wink:

You're kidding! That's hilarious, but good for him, it's healthier than him doing it on the couch I guess!
  • racergirl1991
    racergirl1991 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    There is a guy I see pretty regularly at my gym that uses the treadmill at full incline and holds himself on by the rails the whole time. He's easy to spot--I mean, he's a tall guy anyway, but he'll be the one 3 feet up in the air.

I always smile when I see someone either at an incline or going so fast that they have to hang on. The way I learned it if you have to hang on your not doing yourself any favors.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options

Agh! How traumatic! Perhaps she bought her own elliptical for the home.

Yes, as for the poor form... I shudder at times. I saw a guy doing squats with a barbell... weight in his toes, knees jutting way in front of feet, spine arched. He did this every week (we were in the same weight lifting class for college). It was so painful to look at, I tried to recommend that he put his heels on the ground. Apparently guys don't like having their form corrected by girls. :grumble:
  • tgarofalo1
    tgarofalo1 Posts: 7
    Options
    I also saw someone hit the stop button accidently on the treadmill went from a jog to sudden stop, he flew on A** it was impossible not to laugh. Thankfully he was ok.
  • DCskat3r4lfe
    DCskat3r4lfe Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    i got the BEST story.. im laughing as im typing it was sooo funny.. anyways so
    okay im in the air force and im an electrician....

so
    this guy was running on the treadmill and we had to do a power outage because we needed to add a line to a substation and it was going to kill the gym power.(threadmills)

annnd the gym didnt realize that and didnt inform him... so he was still running at about 7-8 mph speed

the power cut off for a meal 10 sec if that enough to stop the machines before the generator kicked on...

no joke this guy literally flew off the threadmill and ran into the wall.. hes okay but i DIED laughing when i got in the truck.

im probley goin to hell.. but i was laughing sooo hard. hes okay though :)
  • hannah0209
    hannah0209 Posts: 36
    Options
    I have many but i'll tell you the funniest one :D

I went to the gym from work one day.. and instead of wearing my usual (safe) gym bra, I had one where the straps are detachable. I was working out hard on the elliptical cross trainer and had previously spotted a hot guy in the corner weight training. He moved on to the machine next to me and it was a little awkward. To make things 100 times more awkward one of my bra straps pinged off and nearly hit him in the eye! I was so mortified! I also looked round and saw a gym induction taking place with about 20 students all giggling. Luckily he saw the funny side.. but I am never wearing that bra to the gym again! Far too risky!

Feel free to add me :-)
  • hannah0209
    hannah0209 Posts: 36
    Options
    There's also a funny regular guy who goes backwards on the cross trainer, hands on his hips - bum out, and does a little bum shake like beyonce when doing it..
    His bum is quite big too making the move even more effective! (Maybe this is how he got his big bum- ladies take note)
    Last time I spotted him there were several people fighting back the laughs.

xx
  • RacketlonSA
    RacketlonSA Posts: 10
    Options
    The guys who work in the gym should really teach people good form, otherwise i recommend a personal trainer. But some think they are better and have been doing gym for years so dont need someone to show them how, me included, but i have developed good form, slow, light full movements.

Our saunas (i love a sauna) are infront of the sinks and mirrors, i laugh at the people posing and flexing, do it at home, i dont want to see your naked body showing off what you think you have and thats been pumped with roids.

@Hannah0209, i run backward on the running machines, im pretty sure i look odd as im the only one. but the way i see it, its sports specific training, in squash you spend alot of time running backward and need to train the hamstrings that way.

I first thought Kettle balls was odd, but its become quite the norm. the first guy i sawe doing it trained in denim jeans and had immaculate hair, this made it all the more bizarre.
  • kristyann86
    kristyann86 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    This past week I worked out in a gym with leg curls (the kind where ur on ur belly and ur butt's in the air sorta). I felt funny doing it cuz I couldn't see behind me and what I looked like. I'm vain and like to watch myself do certain weight machines to 1) make sure it looks like I'm doing it right and 2) bc seeing my muscles flex makes me feel better about my progress (usta couldn't see em lol) anyway....that machine made me feel like my butt was on display lol everytime I rested I just laid there taking a sip of water while my behind was on display for every passerby to observe and judge. I couldn't help but crack a smile lol anyone else felt this way or am I just paranoid?
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any odd or funny gym stories. Like today i watched a guy walk in without any stretch or warm up he loads 3 45's on each side of the bar, gets a spotter and starts pressing them out, except he's going half way and the left side is only moving about 4 inches off his chest if that wasn't enough he loads on more weight! I'm thinking are you serious. The point is not how much you lift but how you lift.
    that was me today except I walked in
    loaded 25s on each side did 20 reps
    then load 2 45s 2 25s and 2 10s :)
    and no spotter ;) except for the last 2 :D