Polar Fit Watch (ft4 - to be exact)

Options
I started following a bunch of people on instagram, all embarking on their weightloss journey. Every single one of them has a fitness watch, most have the Polar Fit ft4. I also have a friend that has one and she loves it.

I talked to my mother about getting one (I am over 18 and capable of buying one on me own) because I wanted her opinion. She said she thinks they are a waste of money unless you are doing a hardcore workout or training for a marathon or something like that.

My argument as to why I believe I need one and it's a good buy. I have an elliptical that I use 5 days a week. I keep the resistance between 15-20. I want to make sure I am getting the right calorie burn. The machine has no idea how much I weigh. I downloaded an app on my phone and I put in my weight and height and amount of time I am on the elliptical but it doesn't know the resistance I use. If that makes sense?

So does anyone on here use the polar ft4? How do you like it? Worth the money?

Replies

• tbilly20
    tbilly20 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have an FT4. It is the best bang for your buck. You can spend more on an HRM, but you won't get much back for it. The FT4 has just enough features!

And a Heart Rate Monitor is reasonably accurate at estimating your caloric expenditure for most cardiovascular activities.

I normally would not say this, but don't listen to your mother. (Just on this issue though!)
  • BrittanieGo
    BrittanieGo Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I love mt ft4, it keeps me motivated during workouts and to keep doing them because I get an accurate read on calorie burn. Not saying don't listen to your mom. she can give you her opinion and then you choose what to do with it :)
  • Alicia_Monique
    Alicia_Monique Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I love my ft4, definitely worth every penny. It will help you be more accurate and therefore more accountable.
  • SR_86
    SR_86 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I love mine, got it last month. I love seeing the burn it is a great motivator!!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    So does anyone on here use the polar ft4? How do you like it? Worth the money?

I used to use an FT60, whilst knowing how HR responds to the changing demands of the workout is useful the process of getting that data into another service so that I could use it was clumsy and burdensome. I stopped using it.

The calorie expenditure approximation is interesting, but in general the accuracy depends on what type of session you're doing, so in essence an HRM is inconsistently inaccurate.

The one thing you can say for the FT4 is, it's not expensive so you're not wasting much cash in getting one.

fwiw I do use the HRM on my Garmin, mainly to analyse how my heart rate responds to training stimulus. It gives me a calorie expenditure, but I don't pay much attention to that as most of my workouts don't conform to the design criteria.
  • ashleigh315
    ashleigh315 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I am obsessed with my FT4. I wear it to the gym, when I take my dog to the beach, on hikes, the list goes on. Why do I love it? It gives me a little push forward. I'll say I'm going to the gym for 30 minutes .. look down and see that I'm at 400 calories so I'll stay until I reach 500! I also feel like a bad *** when I finish a hike and see that I've burned 1,500 calories lol
  • bornforbattles
    bornforbattles Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    fitness trackers are a waste of money unless you need to constantly monitor your HR. just do cardio and maintain a caloric balance/defecit
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I do interval training by heart zones and I love ft4 for it. FT4 is pretty accurate and syncs without problems. You don't really need anything more expensive. I got one for 30 dollars from ebay (new in box).
  • PurplePogoPunk
    PurplePogoPunk Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The FT4 is my first HRM so I have nothing to compare it to but I love having a more accurate way to log that calorie burn. I thought the chest strap would be a hassle but you don't even notice it and it's easy to change your weight stat on the watch as the numbers go down.
  • caroliiine86
    Options
    got an FT4 i love it, it's help me to push me more, got it from amazon for 74$ its not that much and it's PINK :P
  • navyjen
    navyjen Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I love my ft4. If any thing it pushes me harder. I want to burn more than my previous workout. I love it best money I ever spent for a gym item.