Negative Motivation

Options
In my experiences of working out in the past I've learned that if your working out for reasons other than maintaining a healthy lifestyle then it will be unlikely that you succeed in reaching your goals. Now don't misunderstand me. You can have a goal weight, waist size, abs ect ect but all that won't mean anything if your only exercising due to a triggered emotion. For example, you just broke up with your significant other and there is a lot of anger and aggression that's motivating you to exercise so hard to the point you actually reach your goal then next thing you know you meet someone new. You're happy and guess what went out the window, the motivation you had to lead a healthy lifestyle.
So basically what I'm trying to say in this post is don't let any negative emotions be your motivation. Once you have a clear mind only then can you make that decision and truly lead a heathy lifestyle.
Thanks
Tez Hailu

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing.

but you're wrong.

i mean, it sounds nice and all, but people with positive motivation (whatever you decide that means) fail to maintain progress a high percentage of the time too. but nobody goes up to them after they fall down, brushes them off and pats them on the head and tells them, "see, i told you that you'd be better off if you were filled with hate." no, we just accept that sometimes people fail and then we hope they try again.

anyhoo, i'd take a dedicated person over a motivated person every single time.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    thanks for sharing.

but you're wrong.

i mean, it sounds nice and all, but people with positive motivation (whatever you decide that means) fail to maintain progress a high percentage of the time too. but nobody goes up to them after they fall down, brushes them off and pats them on the head and tells them, "see, i told you that you'd be better off if you were filled with hate." no, we just accept that sometimes people fail and then we hope they try again.

anyhoo, i'd take a dedicated person over a motivated person every single time.

This! A disciplined person will keep going even in times when they don't have motivation.
  • southern31605
    Options
    I just need motivation support
  • tezhailu
    tezhailu Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    DavPul
    My apologies, I wasn't trying to imply that a person with positive motivation would do way better. I was simply saying people that make the decision to get healthy must do it on a clear mind and not on based on their emotion.
    I definitely agree with you on your post, it's something I forgot to mention. It takes much dedication first, along with being self motivated. If your dedicated but don't have the right self motivation then your just going through the motions unless you are what Mycophilia mentioned in their reply "Disciplined" and not many people have that discipline.
    On another note,
    I appreciate you guys for the discussion. It definitely keeps my head in the game and see things from other people's perspectives and you two have reminded me of those qualities that are important, Dedication & Discipline!
    Thanks
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    We're all different. Some people need stick, others are more moved by carrot. I find the key is to know when to use discipline and when to use my hunger for progress. Typically, dragging my *kitten* out even if there's minus degrees celsius requires some hard convincing. To "motivate" myself to challenge out of comfort zone is a combo of curiosity, a desire to grow. Call it luring, call it inviting. It works better for me to WANT push myself harder. Babysteps works: "just 10 more seconds". From being total sedentary has evolved into +1 hr exercise every day and certified instructor license.

Many people give up at start because they don't like to suck. Accept your noob-ness (or current level) and by the time you've done something 3 times you're already better at it. Just do it :)

Edit: At some point I found that I'm addicted to new personal records. Sense of achievement is VERY rewarding.
  • tezhailu
    tezhailu Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Foamroller
    Very well put!!!
    I couldn't agree with you more!
    Great point about when to use discipline and when to use hunger for progress.

You definitely have to accept your noob-ness or current level. In the past I hated the fact that I couldn't run or lift as much as I wanted. The main fact that I didn't want to suck played a part in why I probably stopped exercising and eating healthy. This time around I have accepted it and I've hit the ground running, metaphorically speaking and have not doubted myself since!
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I do have to agree that starting an exercise (or diet) program due to a broken heart is probably not a sustainable situation. We must do this for ourselves, not for someone else or in spite of someone else.

There is no emotion involved in my exercising positive or negative. I have made a conscious decision to live a healthy lifestyle so it is a mental decision, not emotional.

Since my only goal is to be physically fit, they only way I can be deterred is by injury. I have gone through periods when I was injured and could not exercise, at that time it did become an emotional issue. I find that not being able to exercise is somewhat depressing.