Protein Stuff...

Options
I wanna get in a ton of protein to gain weight and build muscle. Tips?

Replies

• bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Log your food, don't eat too many calories to avoid gaining fat. Tuna is a great protein source, so is cottage cheese, greek yogurt, eggs, meat, poultry.... Protein powder is fine but try to make most protein from whole food sources. Also know that your body needs carbs as well to feed the muscle, there is only so much protein (1g/lb body weight) that your body can really use for muscle synthesis
  • allenbrowning
    allenbrowning Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I wanna get in a ton of protein to gain weight and build muscle. Tips?

Eating a "ton of protein" to gain weight doesn't make sense. Too much protein can have negative effects. All you need is 1g of protein per lb of body weight depending on your body fat %. You don't gain weight by eating more protein. You gain weight by eating more calories than your body needs daily. Eating "too much fat" doesn't cause you gain fat, too many carbs won't cause your to gain fat. Calculate your calories then figure your macronutrients (protein/carbs/fat) then eat in a surplus of 250-500 calories to start and monitor your weight monthy. 4 lbs a month is optimal
  • elfman5150
    elfman5150 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Too much protein will just give you smelly gas. Seriously. Don't do it; focus more on hitting around 1-1.5g/lb body weight (even that's a bit high), and fill the rest with carbohydrates and fats. I'm doing .5g/lb body weight for my fats, but you can mess around with it as you'd like. Just make sure you get enough
  • EzRemake
    EzRemake Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Calculate your maintenance, add in 200 to reflect weight training (you probably burn more than 200 in reality), and then add another 250-300 for the bulk.

If you maintain at 1800 calories, eat 2250. Minimum of .8g /lb of protein, .3-.4 g/lb for fats, the rest can be carbs or whatever you'd like.
  • beastcompany
    beastcompany Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    More protein does not equal more muscle.
  • tiffanyaiv
    tiffanyaiv Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    elfman5150 wrote: »
    Too much protein will just give you smelly gas. Seriously. Don't do it; focus more on hitting around 1-1.5g/lb body weight (even that's a bit high), and fill the rest with carbohydrates and fats. I'm doing .5g/lb body weight for my fats, but you can mess around with it as you'd like. Just make sure you get enough

Has anyone else experienced the high protein and smelly gas problem?!
  • allenbrowning
    allenbrowning Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    tiffanyaiv wrote: »
    elfman5150 wrote: »

Has anyone else experienced the high protein and smelly gas problem?!

Haha! Yes it happens. Ppl like to call it "bro farts". It'll clear a room
  • elfman5150
    elfman5150 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I believe it's from gluconeogenesis from excessive protein. Protein is a CHON (Carbon, Hydrogen, Oxygen, Nitrogen) whereas carbs are CHO. The Nitrogen group in the protein is released from the CHO and that's what causes the protein farts (somehow. It might be due to the bacteria interacting with the nitrogen in the large intestine, but I'm not entirely sure). It would be an interesting research study
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    If you want to gain weight, drink full fat milk, two gallons a day, work yourself up to it. Eat protein with lots of fat, butter, load up on pasta, bread, cheese...snack constantly on nuts, macadamia, and dried fruits.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    If you want to gain weight, drink full fat milk, two gallons a day, work yourself up to it. Eat protein with lots of fat, butter, load up on pasta, bread, cheese...snack constantly on nuts, macadamia, and dried fruits.

Building muscle is a fine art. You're going about it like a yak in a china shop, but maybe it's different in your yakky world..