Recovering from Anorexia

Options
I'm trying to recover from years of anorexia and depression. I'm 5' 5" and used to weigh 95 lbs and now weigh about 132 lbs. It's really hard for me to weigh this much and I want to lose weight the healthy way this time. I just really need some support and advice.

Replies

• samandmillie11
    Options
    Good luck hun!! I cant offer any weight advise as ive never been in your situation but hope u achieve your dreams and find happiness. Depression is an awful battle... im winning! Chin up xxx
  • michealdoolittle
    Options
    I would personally suggest to buy some body fat calipers to see what your actually at or a general consensus because weight isn't what matters its body fat %
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You're at a healthy weight for your height. How much are you trying to lose?
  • Kari666
    Kari666 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Preferably 10-15 lbs, 110-120 is what I think I look best at. But I'm more focused on gaining strength and muscle and getting healthy.
  • nikmicar
    Options
    Kari work closely with your doctor or support group. Also, I don't think losing weight is the focus, focus on building and toning. Take in extra protein each day. Really try to get more of a weight training program going. You'll see the results you want this way without losing too much weight, you'll lose some fat and gain muscle.
  • BigGibbo
    BigGibbo Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've been dealing with chronic depression myself, but I went the other way (weight gain). I think in your case you'd be better off throwing the scales out and focusing on a healthy diet and fitness goals. You can still use other measurements of progress if you like to keep track of something.
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I second having some outside support. It's so easy to slip back into disordered eating. I'd recommend tracking progress with fitness goals (20 pushups in 1 minute) vs weight goals. Another goal could be reaching your protein and veggie goals for the day.

Feel free to send me a FR :)
  • haleklausen
    haleklausen Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I personally think a buck thirty two is perfect for someone your height.
  • duckykissy
    duckykissy Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    As someone who has dabbled in their fair share of eating issues, I also really suggest you work closely with a therapist and focus more on fitness goals than weight. It is shockingly easy to go back to bad habits and having that therapist or doctor can really help deal with some of the grey areas- such as when counting becomes too important and starts giving you anxiety.

Personally, I'm 5'5'' too and am trying to get to 135-145. I know I come from pretty stocky family so I might be able to maintain a bit heavier than others at our height. Still, I don't think you should be focused on getting lighter. If you want to be leaner, you may have to put a little more weight on as you build muscle. And I really think that this is where a good therapist comes into play, because that can really mess with your head if you are recently recovering.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Kari666 wrote: »
    Preferably 10-15 lbs, 110-120 is what I think I look best at. But I'm more focused on gaining strength and muscle and getting healthy.

As you know, 110 would put you in the underweight category. As someone with anorexia, is that really a path you want to go down? Aim for building muscle, rather than a number on a scale. That would be my suggestion.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

As you know, 110 would put you in the underweight category. As someone with anorexia, is that really a path you want to go down? Aim for building muscle, rather than a number on a scale. That would be my suggestion.

This.

I'm 5'4, 135. I would look sick at 110. I know that for a fact as I used to be anorexic, bulimic, the whole lot.

Focus on body comp through weight training and not on the scale. The scale really doesn't mean much.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options

I agree. I would also like to point out that for someone with a known ED to say "What I think I look best at" is probably not the best guage. Especially since that number is an underweight number for a woman of your height.

If you're unhappy with how you look, work with a therapist of course to make sure it's not all a form of dismorphia(sp?) and I'd start lifting. Lifting can change the shape of your body and even though you could weigh more, having muscle is what gives the healthy definition I think most people envision when they get to those final vanity pounds they want to lose.
  • MrBryGuy
    MrBryGuy Posts: 115
    Options
    Feel free to add me for support! My wife struggled with that for years. It's not easy to overcome. We are here for you!