Running Shorts that Don't Ride Up

Options
Hi! I'm desperately seeking some running/walking shorts that don't ride up or chafe the pooh out of my chubby thighs. I've have some nice shorts, but most of them end up leaving me in agony 1/2 way into my walk or run. Any suggestions?

Replies

• loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Chafing might be inevitable, regardless of shorts—I'm only just now at the point after four months of running that I have enough of a thigh gap where I don't have to put on gobs of BodyGlide. So, yeah, I'd recommend lots and lots of BodyGlide! I will say my Lululemon shorts (pricy, though) chafe me the least of anything.
  • merryberry99
    merryberry99 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I never considered something like Body Glide. I'll definitely check into it! Thank you!
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Just wear something skintight and mid-thigh length (lycra biking shorts, men's speedo, etc) and then wear your usual running shorts over the top of them.
  • kynurse83
    kynurse83 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I found with my legs material needs be really slick on outside and u want them kinda short cause seems longer ones tend do it more. My friend always gets tight fitting ones cause tend stay in place better
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I've never found shorts that stay in place. Too bad, because I have great legs!

Try capris--relatively tight/form fitting ones seem to work the best.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    If you mean don't ride up around your waist--Nike Tempo.

If you mean don't ride up between your legs, that's probably more a function of your running gait than the clothing. You are probably looking at longer compression shorts (Under Armour makes a great 7 inch) or capris, with looser shorts or a skort over them if you want.

One thing you could try is triathlon shorts, since those tend to have an elastic band at the bottom hem to hold them in place. The padding is thinner in those than regular bike shorts--they're made for running as well as riding.
  • ashleigh315
    ashleigh315 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I will second Body Glide! You can buy it right from Amazon or most chain stores and it works wonderfully. Then you can keep using the shorts you have ;)
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I use Under Armour to prevent chafing and they also stay in place. Also Under Armour just bought MFP so you would be supporting the provider of this forum.
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    For me it's always been a matter of distance. The more I've lost weight, the further I can push it without having to use some type of anti-chaffing cream. I usually wear under armour or some other compression short anyway and that gets me to about 5-6 miles. Anything over that and I need something though.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I agree with previous comments -

1) compression something or other under whatever shorts you like
    2) body glide or similar anti-chafe product
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Fitted capris.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I just wear lycra/spandex compression shorts/bike shorts. They never ride up and I never chafe. If you use those, you don't won't need any type of body glide...at least I don't. I don't wear anything over them...never saw the point in that since it would just make me hotter and create more laundry. LOL! But do what makes you comfortable.
  • rocknrollfire
    rocknrollfire Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    i have and always will have this problem. my thighs will never not rub together - it's a thing i've come to accept.
    i've found that something a bit longer, like just above the knee, is the only thing that works. that, or capris.