Heart Rate Monitor Suggestions

Options
I did a search and did not find a previous thread that had what I was looking for. I'm sorry if this is a repeat and I missed it.

I am looking into getting a heart rate monitor/fitness tracker. I have SVT, a heart arrhythmia that causes an accelerated heart rate. Although I'm on beta blockers to help control it, I really want to be able to monitor my actual heart rate while working out. I'd also like to track activity/calories burned because I am trying to lose some weight as well. I'm 25 and go to the gym about 3-4 times a week right now doing strength training and cardio (elliptical, treadmill, bike). I don't really want to spend more than $200 USD, but I am overwhelmed with how many choices/brands there are now! The ability to sync it to my phone (Galaxy S4) would be a nice feature.

Thank you in advance.

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Given the very specific requirement I'd ask advice from a clinician about whether an HRM would be useful.

fwiw I don't think it would, but it may give you a false sense of confidence.
  • aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I asked my Dr yesterday and she said it wasn't a bad idea to get one to make sure my heart rate wasn't getting too high during cardio. Thank you for your input!
  • joneallen
    joneallen Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7, which I love! I think it was $119. My wife has the FT4 model which is about $100. Both are great options.
  • navyjen
    navyjen Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Love my ft4.
  • jessupbrady
    jessupbrady Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I bought my wife the Polar FT4 for Christmas ($58 on amazon.com) and she loves it.
  • WandaMM1
    WandaMM1 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I can't offer first hand knowledge on HRMs that synch with a phone. However, I have a polar FT-60; have had it for 2-3 years. This is my second Polar device. The first one lasted about 6 years. In addition to giving consistent readings via the chest strap, it also offers programs to help guide you (e.g. improve fitness level, maximize fitness, etc.). I would definitely consider buying another Polar if I had to replace. I believe Garmin offers an activity tracker WITH an HRM option -- just came out within the last year or so. I don't know anyone who has one so I couldn't speak or reference it more than knowing it exists.

Based on your information, I would absolutely recommend something with a chest-strap or some other means of giving live and continuous readings. There are many inexpensive options that only give a reading "on demand". Worthless, in my mind.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar H7, which I link to my Samsung GS3 with good results, so it will work fine with your GS4 as well.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Go see dcrainmaker.com for reviews.

Get one with high low alarms (the polars mentioned in this thread so far have them but won't sync via phone, afaik)
  • nicolemarie0131
    nicolemarie0131 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Fitbit! I have had 4 of them and never any issues- LOVE LOVE LOVE the product! Plus love the bluetooth sync with my phone, and the dashboard of information it provides. I have the new Charge HR and am very happy with it. I find it is very accurate. And only cost $149 - feel free to message me with any questions you have about it.
  • Frodepedersen73
    Frodepedersen73 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Maybe the Fitbit Charge HR would be an option. It measures 24 hour heart on the wrist, and you can monitor it by a press of a button anytime + activity, sleep, steps, distance and floors, and you can connect it with f.ex. myfitnesspal to log your food and water intake. It has an app for android wich has background sync. It is around $119.
  • BossFat
    Options
    I've had a Polar H7 since it was released and it's been wonderful. No connectivity issues whatsoever with either Android or iOS. Only had to replace the battery once.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Maybe the Fitbit Charge HR would be an option. It measures 24 hour heart on the wrist, and you can monitor it by a press of a button anytime + activity, sleep, steps, distance and floors, and you can connect it with f.ex. myfitnesspal to log your food and water intake. It has an app for android wich has background sync. It is around $119.

Does it have high/low audible alarms?
  • racheljonel
    racheljonel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I've had a Polar FT7 for years and I love it. The batteries need replacing about every month or so, but it's easy to do and they are super cheap. It's been very reliable. It also will beep and tell you when you're in "fat burning mode" (lower heartrate) or "fitness mode" (higher heartrate), which might be very useful for your situation.
  • 19_84_jade
    19_84_jade Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    100% The fitbit charge hr !!
  • goingtobefit2015
    goingtobefit2015 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Polar FT7 for me and my boyfriend...got them on Amazon but you can also get at Best Buy for same price online. Mine was about $70. Just got it so havnen't used it yet.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I asked my Dr yesterday and she said it wasn't a bad idea to get one to make sure my heart rate wasn't getting too high during cardio. Thank you for your input!

OK, so your next question would nee to be what range should I be working in?. My personal view is that without knowing your MHR based on VO2 Max and Lactate Threshold lab tests then any discussion over what your working range should be is a bit moot.

Notwithstanding that, if you have one then it would seem most sensible to have something that you can programme the range into, so that it can alarm when you're getting too high. You're probably in the realms of an FT60.

All that said, what would probably be most useful is something that can extract how your HR performed during your session, rather than giving you a spot figure. In that case you're getting into Garmin territory; FR220 perhaps or a 310XT plus footpod.

Note that calorie estimation depends very much on how you're training, so for resistance training it'll give a significant over-estimation and if you do any CV interval training then it'll be unreliable as well.