Half Marathon training.... Who's in??

Options
1235»

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    So my (first) trail half last Saturday was awesome! I signed up for its summer counterpart in June, and I'm also looking at HMs on April 18 and *possibly* March 14. I don't know; reviews say the March 14 one has been kind of a mess in the past, but I'd be running it to (a) avoid other obligations on Pi Day and (b) good swag. If I just treat it as a regular run, it doesn't matter if the course is kind of muddy and maybe not so well marked and people doing the 5K end up running the half by mistake, right?

Run for the swag = legit?
  • carolcrc
    carolcrc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've done 6-7 halfs and 2 marathons (very, very slowly). After a year of plantar fasciitis, I'm now back and just registered for a half in October (Wineglass).
    Gabbo - pacing is definitely something to think about! You'll be able to run faster in a race than in training, but as some famous runner said "I plan to start out slow and then back off the pace..."
  • getfitrenee22
    Options
    hi! Brenda I love this thread! you should start a group so we all can share there :-)

I started running about a year ago....if you would have told me I would start running and love it I would of laughed in your face (probably while drinking chardonnay!) haha anyway I took December totally off and started the Hal Higdon novice half training. Just starting week 3 today. My first half is on April 12th ( here in south Denver) we've had ok weather so luckily I've been outside recently

question?? what do you guys do for your cross training?? I usually just find myself walking or light weights....but nothing consistent. so I'm looking for ideas. I do have to be a little conservative in what I do only because I am a full time massage therapist so I use a tremendous amount of energy doing that most days of the week (5-6/day)

ps. yesterday I took my son for his first run with mom!!! he's almost 13 and will be doing the Bolder Boulder with us on Memorial Day. I was very proud <3

feel free to friend me!

Ang

cross training - have you tried pilates/yoga? you can continue to build a strong core & get some much needed stretching w/o the pounding or intense cardio of another cross training workout?

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    So my (first) trail half last Saturday was awesome! I signed up for its summer counterpart in June, and I'm also looking at HMs on April 18 and *possibly* March 14. I don't know; reviews say the March 14 one has been kind of a mess in the past, but I'd be running it to (a) avoid other obligations on Pi Day and (b) good swag. If I just treat it as a regular run, it doesn't matter if the course is kind of muddy and maybe not so well marked and people doing the 5K end up running the half by mistake, right?

Sounds legit to me!

Tomorrow's planned long run of 9 miles will be the longest I've ever done. e7qj65xkwl5m.gif
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Ceci_O_K wrote: »

Tomorrow's planned long run of 9 miles will be the longest I've ever done. e7qj65xkwl5m.gif

Wahoo! Rock that run. And congratulations!
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options

Do people run for any other reason? :smiley:
  • newmom_2012
    newmom_2012 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a 30 week marathon training program, and I'm hoping to do a half sometime in the spring.

I have a 5k on Valentines Day, and I'm looking at a 10k in March or April but I haven't registered yet.
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Oh man. . .I'm in, so long as I can take, like 2 years to get there.

I think 10 miles of walk/run is probably as much as I can do ATM, and the bigger problem is that I just can't imagine running with strangers. . .but I want to do a Disney half-marathon one day. It's on my bucket list.

Soooo. . .I'm in. I will mostly look at all the people who actually run races in awe and ask for your autographs. But I'm now committing to putting it on my list of Things to Do.

First a 10K without chickening out - there are less people in a 10K, right?
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Just started training again for a half and a full! Planning to run a half at the end of April and hoping to get a PR in the neighborhood of 1:50-1:55 (current PR is 1:58), and then run my 2nd full marathon at the end of May with a goal of 4:15-4:20.

It's so great to have long run Sundays back in my life now that the holidays and finals are over, but the midweek longish runs will be a tough balance since grad school is woefully time consuming! Last summer I trained when I was just working Mon-Fri, so this training + school thing is a whole new adventure!
  • djscavone
    djscavone Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Magoo065 wrote: »
    I'm going to have a 13.1 sticker on my car, dammit. And maybe a tattoo. We'll see.

img]

Ironic though, isn't it? All of those running stickers and of all things on a car....
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,203 MFP Moderator
    Options
    djscavone wrote: »
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Magoo065 wrote: »
    I'm going to have a 13.1 sticker on my car, dammit. And maybe a tattoo. We'll see.

img]

Ironic though, isn't it? All of those running stickers and of all things on a car....

I don't think it would look as nice on my butt. Much prefer to put my bumper stickers on my car. :open_mouth: LOL! :flowerforyou:

Training for my half has gotten completely derailed due to family issues/tummy bugs/minor leg injury that has me babying my leg. Going to run as far as I can tomorrow for my long-run while listening to the leg to see if I'm going to have trouble. Its starting to look like a doctor trip might be in order.... unless I can actually run tomorrow without soreness.

• SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options

Absolutely. I run for food, swag, and bling!
  • ginasherriff
    Options
    I'm running a half in April too! I just started the training, but it's way too cold to run outside right now (20 degrees is my minimum, and we're averaging 10 below zero this week!). Treadmill it is. Any advice on how to enjoy a long treadmill run?!?
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    My 6th half is on May 3rd. Currently hoping to PR my 5K next month. Running races was a great motivator for me to finally lose my weight and get back in shape. And, I'm running these races faster in my mid-30s than my mid-20s!

I am starting to get an itch to do a full marathon again... and I have a pie in the sky dream to qualify for Boston one day. So yeah, while the bling is nice, there are other dreams and motivators for getting out there and running!

OP et al running your first half - good luck!! I hope you have a wonderful experience. ;) Don't be surprised if you get the "bug" to run more races.

• djscavone
    djscavone Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    maddymama wrote: »
    My first will be May 17. I don't have a formal plan but I read up on a few (Hal Higdon). I made a log and spread sheet and basically make certain I log at least 3 miles a day and hen add a few days of 4, 6, and then an 8 where at least 8 weeks before the race I should have a good mix of distance with a "long day". Right now I am trying to build leg strength and mix in bike and elliptical as an off day.

Hey, so I have done two halfs. One I trained for, with my longer runs ranging from 6-12 miles, and one half I did with little training with a few 6 and 8 mile runs. I recommend training for at least one 10, 11, or even 12 mile run. The half I trained for was much easier to complete and I felt good and confident the whole way through it. The one where I didn't run enough long distances was really rough. I felt good until mile 10 (when I had trained up to 8), but the last three miles were TOUGH to finish. I suggest training for a few more longer runs... it will get your body used to the longer runs, and give you a chance to work out energy and liquid plan for race day. My recovery was also much better on the one I trained for. The one where I didn't train for it, I felt like I had been hit by a bus for a few days.

Thanks. Advice from someone whose been there is always welcome. I really appreciate the response.

UPDATE: I ran my first Half yesterday May 17. Completed in 2:14 so I was very pleased I came in under 2:20 which was my goal. I also didn't stop along the way, no walking, which was another goal. I thought this would be my one and only and I would stick with 5K's but when I saw I came in last in my division by 10 seconds well, the gauntlet has been thrown! Even though I move up a division for this race I have a new goal. DON"T BE LAST!
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    maddymama wrote: »
    My first will be May 17. I don't have a formal plan but I read up on a few (Hal Higdon). I made a log and spread sheet and basically make certain I log at least 3 miles a day and hen add a few days of 4, 6, and then an 8 where at least 8 weeks before the race I should have a good mix of distance with a "long day". Right now I am trying to build leg strength and mix in bike and elliptical as an off day.

Hey, so I have done two halfs. One I trained for, with my longer runs ranging from 6-12 miles, and one half I did with little training with a few 6 and 8 mile runs. I recommend training for at least one 10, 11, or even 12 mile run. The half I trained for was much easier to complete and I felt good and confident the whole way through it. The one where I didn't run enough long distances was really rough. I felt good until mile 10 (when I had trained up to 8), but the last three miles were TOUGH to finish. I suggest training for a few more longer runs... it will get your body used to the longer runs, and give you a chance to work out energy and liquid plan for race day. My recovery was also much better on the one I trained for. The one where I didn't train for it, I felt like I had been hit by a bus for a few days.

Thanks. Advice from someone whose been there is always welcome. I really appreciate the response.

UPDATE: I ran my first Half yesterday May 17. Completed in 2:14 so I was very pleased I came in under 2:20 which was my goal. I also didn't stop along the way, no walking, which was another goal. I thought this would be my one and only and I would stick with 5K's but when I saw I came in last in my division by 10 seconds well, the gauntlet has been thrown! Even though I move up a division for this race I have a new goal. DON"T BE LAST!

Well done!

I like your attitude. You are your only competition. Good luck with the next one.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • FireStorm1972
    FireStorm1972 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Great job