What up big runners?!

Options
damionruns
damionruns Posts: 38 Member
Hey yall, i'm a heavy runner, trying to turn into a slender runner! this site is helping me keep track of my eating which has been an achilles heel! can anyone relate?

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I've been running for the last year - was about 30 lbs heavier when I started. I've still got a bit of weight to lose - looking forward to being a "slender" runner, too, eventually!
  • wvmark41
    wvmark41 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I was a somewhat thin runner at 170 pounds (YEARS ago) and loved it. I loved the runner's high and going as far as 20 miles at a time on my Sunday long runs.

I started walking 20-minutes last December weighing 260 pounds. Now I'm down to 217 and starting to put some jogging intervals into my walks. All of that walking helped my knees, back, etc get ready for the ready for the runs.... plus I'm much lighter!

I recommend to all to walk, walk, walk, until their weight gets down. Walking helps you lose weight just as well as running and much less chance of injuries.
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I feel like I can relate somewhat! I was running a lot 30 lbs ago and then took a break after a while because my foot started having some pain... possibly heel spur, possibly plantar fasciitis..... but now that I'm slimmer, running is easier. I am still taking it easy, though, because I don't want to re-injure my foot, or make it worse or whatever. So now I run maybe once or twice a week for only 3 to 3.5 miles. Given my experience, I would recommend not starting off toooo ambitious because the extra weight may make your joints or feet unhappy, but it is a GREAT way to work out, feel awesome, and lose weight, so I fully support doing the running thing!
  • bfkilduff
    bfkilduff Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am not really that big (6'"1 219pounds), but I can relate. The weather has allowed me to run outside again, and the past 2 weeks were tough. I had been running at the gym on a treadmill all winter (much easier). Runs are 3 times a week for 3.5 miles at a time. If you can stick it out for the first few weeks until you lose some pounds, then you will feel the weight loss assist your runs. Your runs become easier, and you run faster or further, which helps you burn more. It really is all in your head (assuming you're not injured). Just make sure not to bite off more than you can chew. Stick with it, you'll be glad you did!!!
  • bbb84
    bbb84 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to get there.... I jog, but at my pace I may as well walk. I wan't to run but all this extra baggage makes it difficult. Hoping to push through and do work!!! :smile:
  • DRager68
    DRager68 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I can relate. Currently I'm at 274 pounds and I'm running 3 5K's a week. I usually run a pace of 36 mins in for a 5K distance. That puts me close to a 11:30 min/mile pace. My advice to you is to keep on running if your body is handling it. I do suggest that you go to a real running store and get fitted for the right kind of shoe. It makes all the difference in the world to have the right shoe. Good luck and keep pushing yourself. It gets easier every week.
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Not sure exactly what my weight was when I started runnin a few months ago. Probably about thirty pounds heavier, currently 168, so still not a light runner. I had been walking, and started some intervals on the treadmill. After about a month I could pretty much do about two miles, at about 4.5 miles an hour. Then the weather changed. Now I have been running outside, and have to say for me it is much easier than the treadmill. Yes he hills and uneven footing require more strength, but mentally it is easier to keep going. Plus you always have to get back, can't just step off when you hit a wall.

I run between four and six miles three days a week, and try for two longer runs up to ten miles on the weekends. Still slow, but probably average 5.5 mph on shorter runs and 5 mph on the longer ones.

Again as others say, listen to body and good shoes are essential. Also I do a hot yoga class three times a week , credit that for keeping me loose and minimizing pain/injuries.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I am a gradually reducing in size runner! When I started I was very conscious of my shirt riding up and my flab jiggling around, but that has mostly stopped now.
  • damionruns
    damionruns Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody..i'm 6'1'' and about 257 today a few yars ago i weighed btwn 205-219 and some races (marathon, etc). my downfalls would occur after the birth of both of my sons..it would seem that with each pregnancy i would gain weight with my wife..but as she would eventually lose all of it, i would be stuck with it. My daughter will be born and august, and i can't let that happen again! i've recommitted myself to running consitently and the past couple of weeks have been great!

I would also co-sign on buying the appropriate shoes..been there, done that! ha! if i'm not running in brooks beasts, i probably wont be able to walk!