insulin resistance

Options
Is anyone else on here insulin resistant and hypothyro. I am looking for daily meal plan advice.

Replies

• hlvincent15
    hlvincent15 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've PCOS so on Metformin. I'm trying to follow a low no sugar/fat/carb diet. Pretty much everything to do with GI or I Quit Sugar food plan is what I'm doing. Also exercising. It's soooooo hard. But I'm getting by by looking at recipes of these diets.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    Basically your trying to reduce your blood sugar and control insulin, so low carb is ultimately a no brainer and to which many people have found that to perform very well.
  • turtle0022
    turtle0022 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I started the Revoluntary Shred diet this past Sunday, after following my own plan of lowering carbs and processed foods, managing portion sizes and adding exercise 3-4 days a wk the previous month. I do take Synthroid for the hypothyroidism, managed by my doctor and had a total blood workup recently to make certain everything else was good. When I was younger I had also been diagnosed as insulin resistant, and have always struggled with my weight and trying soooo many plans - going up and down for years.

After considering other options, I went with the Shred diet this time because the foods were what I would eat - nothing too special and it would teach portion size as well as healthy eating to reinforce better choices and new habits. Since starting Shred earlier this week, I've lost 2.6 lbs and my first wk isn't done yet. On my own, the previous month I was losing a steady 1.5 - 2 lbs. a week, but this plan offers me structure and I wanted a healthy way to jump start my efforts. Along with that, my current exercises are primarily swimming or aquatic classes, along with walking. It's really important to find a physical activity you enjoy so you'll be more apt to stick with it. For me, I enjoy the swimming and aquatic classes. I don't enjoy exercise at all - even have difficulty to motivate myself to walk, but I'm doing it. The swimming, however, I do enjoy and look forward to and it helps the entire body.
    Good luck!
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I am both. South Beach was recommended to me a few years ago by the doctor who diagnosed me with IR. It worked great to kick-start my low carb dietary changes and I dropped 10 lbs in 2 was which made my whole body function better I think with respect to both conditions. I am now trying to ease into paleo style meals. Well-Fed2 is a cookbook that I am trying out. She advocates partial advance meal prep. Check it out online. Good luck! Feel free to add me if you are looking for others with the same challenges as you!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Yes. I'm borderline diabetic and hypothyroid. My doctor told me to keep the carbs fairly low and to pair protein with any carb I ate.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I was insulin resistant, but I've managed to reverse it (by losing 70 pounds). I stuck with a moderate carb intake (around 150g a day) and exercise.

Did your doctor not give you any guidance for your diet?
  • lilmisstata
    lilmisstata Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am insulin Resistant, have PCOS and also have to take Synthroid for my Hypothyroidism. There is no such thing as reversing it. What you can do is reverse the symptoms, but it is hard work, and will need to be maintained for your lifetime.

I have learned that the hard way. :s