Farting!!

Options
so my boss has put me on a high protein diet, every morning I have a big plate of steak and broccoli, but I get really bad smelly wind! How can I treat this?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Your boss put you on a diet?

But as for the wind - my very farty brother swears by charcoal tablets. Cheap, you get them from anywhere that sells vitamins, tasteless and apparently great for avoiding the bumtrumpets.
  • kershaann
    kershaann Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    high protein diet will do that. I did it for the longest time, your body will eventually stop and get used to the high protein.

But why did you boss put you on the diet?
  • firststepformefal
    firststepformefal Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Actually, Mythbusters busted the idea that high protein diets cause gas. It is probably the broccoli. It is a very gassy vegetable.
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's not the protein, I have been on a high protein diet for months and not had this problem, it's definitely the broccoli!

I'm an assistant sports coach so my boss is my coach/trainer/mentor/friend.

I do whatever he tells me to do basically because the man is a legend!
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Broccoli gives you gas; protein gives it the stink (cruciferous vegetables like broccoli add stink also)
  • Delilahhhhhh
    Delilahhhhhh Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    The charcoal tablets are good. Also I could not resist popping this thread in here, hopefully it will give you a Friday chuckle.
    MFPhttp://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/695972/intermittent-farting/p2
  • comm1t_1984
    comm1t_1984 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Be careful of hard boiled eggs too! I've been having eggs for breakfast and then for a snack and I feel bad for anyone that sits by me at work!
  • Saltfree1
    Saltfree1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi FeebRyan, while I applaud all the above suggestions, having tried them all in the past - they all are only temporary fixes. At the heart of it is the fact that your body is not processing foods that are good for it - well. In the past doctors would tell us all to just avoid - onions, garlic, fried foods, broccoli etc. Many of these foods are really good for us all but we take pills for temporary fixes and/or avoid them. May I suggest that you look into fixing your microbiome (the little forest of germy things that live in your stomach) - once that is fixed you will discover some pretty miraculous things. During the last year I've lost weight and sleep better without really trying because my body is now steadily processing the food it eats as my microbiome has grown healthier, your skin begins to look better, you begin to feel less need for sweets and carbs. Helping your stomach is easy - start by reading books like Dr. Raphael Kellman's "The Microbiome Diet." It is not so much the diet aspect I liked but the education on the simple things to do to fix the bad bacteria in my stomach that caused constant gas explosions. I'm finally able to air out my car and get out that awful smell of too many farts (even car cleaning and airspray did not help that). I've come a long way - if you read below you will see how far I have come:
    1) I was sick with meningitis and spent three months in hospital and nineteen weeks with physical rehabilitation in 2013.
    2) I had to have an additional twelve weeks of physical therapy in 2014 to really get me up and around.
    3) My ability to resist germs and infections was down at the baseline for healthy people and has now been building back up slowly but steadily
    4) I weighted 193 lbs at one point in the last three years but am now 170.2lbs.
    4) my waist (which was always swollen like a balloon ready to pop) was 45-47" at time, it is now around 38"
    5) I farted all the time, often having to pretend to walk around the car just to work off a fart before going near people; that is only happening occasionally.
    6) Oh, did I mention that I am 10 years post-bariatric surgery (roux-en-y) so my stomach has a host of little problems anyway - the Microbiome adjustment has helped with that too.

Hope my suggestion helps. I know it involves a bit of reading but it seems that fixing our eating regimes requires some concentration and work - once you have your method though it becomes a breeze.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Beano
  • blackgarnetrozepanther
    Options
    The broccoli is probably the cause because it has fiber in it that micro-organisms digest and then release gasses.