Bikram Yoga

Options
Thinking of trying bikram yoga (yoga in a high temperature studio) wondering if anyone has tried this type of exercise class; and if so would you recommend? What are the benefits you have gained etc..

Replies

• kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    I did Bikram for about 10 months to help rehab a running injury. It's an intense workout if you do it properly and I would still be doing it if I had enough time/money to fit in with everything else. Classes run for 90 minutes in 105 degree heat at 40% humidity. I went to class 4-5 times a week and also took 2 posture clinics with world champions teaching -- those sessions were 4-5 hours each time. If you get into it you could eventually do teacher training and be certified to lead classes.
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I did Bikram yoga several years ago, for about a year (2-3 classes a week). What I liked about it was that I always knew what was coming since the classes are always the same poses done in the same order, and I liked the heat. The heat allows you to go a deeper into the poses. I stopped going because the late class I went to interfered with sleep (not everyone has this problem, for many sleep improves greatly), and it is expensive.
  • eqp1
    eqp1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Did the class help with weight/fat loss in you're experience?
  • mamasage
    mamasage Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I do Bikram occasionally, but my usual yoga routine is heated Vinyasa, which is a bit less heat and humidity and the asanas vary (as opposed to the standard 26 in Bikram). I would recommend starting with that, then if you enjoy it, working your way up to Bikram. Both certainly help with weight loss, toning, flexibility, and have all sorts of other benefits if done regularly.