Staying within my calorie goal!!

Options
I have been having a hard time staying within my calorie goal. I have a goal of 1400 which is what MFP recommended for me. I am on Herbalife shakes for two meals a day and thought this might help keep me within the calorie goal. But even with two snacks and dinner it seems like I am always over. Help?!?! I always end up so hungry at dinner and even if I try to watch the calories of dinner it seems I cant have enough food to satisfy my hunger AND stay within my goal. Any suggestions on meals or snacks that with keep me satisfied longer???

Replies

• theflyingpelican
    theflyingpelican Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm just now re-discovering how filling roasted potatoes and sweet potatoes are for the amount of calories. SO GOOD. I just a made a big batch by tossing them in coconut oil and a bunch of spices and baking them for like 25 mins on 375.
  • haydiz70
    haydiz70 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal is supposed to be 1200, which is very hard to do without exercise. What works best for me is to eat around 1400-1500 calories and then burn 200-300 working out every day. As long as my net is 1200 or little above, I still lose weight.
  • Ladiebug710
    Ladiebug710 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I do better eating a few more calories at breakfast. I don't if I eat about 350 I'm much less hungry through the day than when I only eat about 200. It costs me a snack but for me it is worth it. Or you could consider three shakes through the day with dinner at night and no snacks. I'm not sure how many calories are in herbalife but if it around 200 then a shake every 3-4 hours may get you through the day better than two shakes and snacks.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Ditch the shakes and eat real food.
  • klu_24
    klu_24 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I do better eating a few more calories at breakfast. I don't if I eat about 350 I'm much less hungry through the day than when I only eat about 200. It costs me a snack but for me it is worth it. Or you could consider three shakes through the day with dinner at night and no snacks. I'm not sure how many calories are in herbalife but if it around 200 then a shake every 3-4 hours may get you through the day better than two shakes and snacks.

The actual powder is 90 calories per serving but I use mine with almond milk so its about 180 per shake. I never thought of adding another shake since they are low calorie! Thanks!!
  • klu_24
    Options
    haydiz70 wrote: »
    My calorie goal is supposed to be 1200, which is very hard to do without exercise. What works best for me is to eat around 1400-1500 calories and then burn 200-300 working out every day. As long as my net is 1200 or little above, I still lose weight.

Right now Im not working out much just due to lack of time as I have two jobs and a hefty social calendar :) I absolutely need to be more physically active! Any suggestions on quick workouts?
  • klu_24
    Options
    I'm just now re-discovering how filling roasted potatoes and sweet potatoes are for the amount of calories. SO GOOD. I just a made a big batch by tossing them in coconut oil and a bunch of spices and baking them for like 25 mins on 375.

That sounds so yummy! I'll have to try that, thank you!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I'd eat food instead of the shake. Getting enough protein and some fat will help you feel satisfied (instead of say, just oatmeal or cereal for breakfast which is mostly carbs).
  • klu_24
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »
    I'd eat food instead of the shake. Getting enough protein and some fat will help you feel satisfied (instead of say, just oatmeal or cereal for breakfast which is mostly carbs).

I use the Herbalife protein shakes which have a good amount of protein in them. My problem is if I eat "real food" I tend to over eat or not eat healthy thing due to lack of planning. I am learning about cooking healthy meal (So if anyone has any tips or sites they use for healthy cooking please share) I am totally a carbaholic and haven't mastered planning well balanced meals to take to work. Which is when a friend suggested Herbalife bc it can help with control and are super easy to whip together in the AM and at work. I really just need to plan better so I can bring balanced lunches! Thanks for all the input friends! Love this!
  • Sheilalarose23
    Sheilalarose23 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    klu_24 wrote: »
    haydiz70 wrote: »

Right now Im not working out much just due to lack of time as I have two jobs and a hefty social calendar :) I absolutely need to be more physically active! Any suggestions on quick workouts?

You can do HIIT workouts. This can be done on the elliptical, treadmill, bike, or stair master. The idea is to do quick burst of exercise and lowering your heart rate. For example, on the treadmill you can walk at 3.5 mph and sprint at 7 mph for 15-20 sec. You can do this for 20-25 minutes and you are done for the day. This is great because you contribute to burn calories even after the workout. This is the best way to lose fat. You can also do this at home. The are plenty of workouts on YouTube. Check it out!
  • deksgrl
    Options
    That's kind of the point, you can't live on the shakes forever (and they cost a lot, don't they?) Learning to eat the proper amount and type of real food will serve you better in the long run, and will also be less expensive.

But here is an example of what my meals look like:

Breakfast:
    Greek yogurt
    Cheese stick
    Apple
    (I eat these throughout the morning, not all in one sitting)
    Or on the weekend I will have eggs & toast.

Lunch:
    Pita wrap with grilled chicken, raw spinach, tomato, peppers, black olives & tatziki sauce.

Dinner:
    Some kind of meat
    side dish like rice
    veggie or salad

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    klu_24 wrote: »
    I have been having a hard time staying within my calorie goal. I have a goal of 1400 which is what MFP recommended for me. I am on Herbalife shakes for two meals a day and thought this might help keep me within the calorie goal. But even with two snacks and dinner it seems like I am always over. Help?!?! I always end up so hungry at dinner and even if I try to watch the calories of dinner it seems I cant have enough food to satisfy my hunger AND stay within my goal. Any suggestions on meals or snacks that with keep me satisfied longer???
    I'm eating 1300-1400 most days. I rarely get hungry, but that is only because I eat a lot of protein. I have no idea how much is in your shakes, but if you want to stick with the shakes (liquid protein never makes me feel full for some reason, but lots of people love them so you need to decide for yourself if they are working for you), then make sure your snacks have a lot of protein and fat for satiety. Greek yogurt, either non fat or regular fat, is VERY filling. Have things like that, or an apple with peanut butter. You probably need more protein with dinner. Try something like a large chicken breast and fill up on green veggies.

When you eat low calorie, and 1400 is reasonably low, it becomes very important that what you eat fills you up. There is little room for things that don't if you want to stay within your calorie goals.

• theoryofempire
    Options
    Agreed. Kill one of the shakes and eat a real meal. You don't need two unless you're killing it like beast with 800+ calorie burn workouts.
  • melodyesch
    melodyesch Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake for breakfast every day. I can't stomach food first thing so I drink my shake on the road to work or at my desk first thing. And that really does fill me up until lunch.

When I cook dinner, I cook enough to have leftovers the following day (or two days) so that I don't have to worry about lunch. Chicken or pork tenderloin with green veggies (sometimes a small bit of rice or potato). Or I do soup. I HAVE to be prepared with actual food for lunch or I end up in the cafeteria, which is awful.

I have just found that if I have mostly lean meats and veggies, I can have a LOT of food.
  • theoryofempire
    Options

I use the Herbalife protein shakes which have a good amount of protein in them. My problem is if I eat "real food" I tend to over eat or not eat healthy thing due to lack of planning. I am learning about cooking healthy meal (So if anyone has any tips or sites they use for healthy cooking please share) I am totally a carbaholic and haven't mastered planning well balanced meals to take to work. Which is when a friend suggested Herbalife bc it can help with control and are super easy to whip together in the AM and at work. I really just need to plan better so I can bring balanced lunches! Thanks for all the input friends! Love this![/quote]

Also, how many calories are in that shake? You could easily make your own with almond milk, peanut butter, a banana, cinnamon, and maybe even a scoop of protien powder if you feel like you really needed it.
    If there's any where to not skip calories (and I know people will disagree, this just works for me) it's breakfast.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options

Definitely this. You definitely won't get so hungry. Are you planning on drinking the shakes for life? :huh:
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    The problem with shakes is that it's really not teaching you how to eat properly. It's a "for now" type thing, you get to goal weight, then you start eating real food and the weight comes back.

I'm on 1630, but very often I have no problem staying under 1300 with real food. I think you may need to adjust WHAT your eating and when. Check out my diary if you need any tips. Good luck!
  • Ladiebug710
    Ladiebug710 Posts: 133 Member
    Options

Definitely this. You definitely won't get so hungry. Are you planning on drinking the shakes for life? :huh:

I think I have to politely disagree. I eat food and still get hungry. Even if shakes aren't a lifetime sustainable option I think they are helpful. I often use them to get back on track when I've slipped. Sometimes choice is overwhelming and knowing exactly what you are going to eat and in what portion makes things easier.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    There are no shortcuts. There is no shake, pill, magic diet, or quickie exercise that will take the weight off consistently in a healthy manner.

Eat real food, count you calories, exercise will power, and find time to exercise.

You have made goals, you must make the commitment to achieve them.
  • deksgrl
    Options

I think I have to politely disagree. I eat food and still get hungry. Even if shakes aren't a lifetime sustainable option I think they are helpful. I often use them to get back on track when I've slipped. Sometimes choice is overwhelming and knowing exactly what you are going to eat and in what portion makes things easier.

Which is the argument for learning how to do it and being in the habit of doing it right with just food in the first place. Then there is less slipping. If you are in the habit of eating a certain way, within certain calories, it is easy to get back on track. Instead of staying so far off track for so long that you need to go back on shakes.