All at once or thru the day?

Options
Does anyone know if taking extra steps throughout the day is as beneficial as one big workout? I am a desk worker. I've upped my steps from about 3000 at work to about 8000 at work just by taking the long route, etc. I know that is better than just the 3000 I was at.

Question is will this produce the same results as 3000 at work and then 5000 all at once after work?

Replies

• dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    From a weight loss standpoint, a calorie burned is a calorie burned. From a cardio strengthening standpoint, you need to get your heart rate up to do that, which also burns more calories.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    There are three factors to your total daily energy expenditure. BMR (which you can only change through strength training), NEAT (which you increase through moving more through the day) and Exercise (which is a deliberate time of increased cardiovascular or strength exertion).

Taking the extra steps is a great way to increase your calories burned through the day, but it does not have the same benefits as a workout.
  • lemertsedlak
    lemertsedlak Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I participated in a University research study last year, and they taught us that in order to get the maximum benefits from your exercise, do at least 10 minutes at a time. That means that 3x10 minutes = one 30 minute workout. But though the extra steps through the day are nice to have and certainly DO contribute to your overall health, they didn't count as minutes we to post as actual "exercise". Congrats on more than doubling your steps, though! That is a big change
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    There are three factors to your total daily energy expenditure. BMR (which you can only change through strength training), NEAT (which you increase through moving more through the day) and Exercise (which is a deliberate time of increased cardiovascular or strength exertion).

Taking the extra steps is a great way to increase your calories burned through the day, but it does not have the same benefits as a workout.

Agreed.

Also, in most cases, being more active throughout the day doesn't have as significant of an impact as many people think/expect.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    It always comes back to the food deprivation in the end! Exercise just makes me even crazier hungry. Still work out like a mofo though. At least it keeps me away from the food!

It doesn't matter when you eat or exercise as long as there's a deficit. When your workouts become more intense then it's worth delving a but deeper about fuelling and refuelling.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Just my personal experience, I gained strength within a few days if I worked hard enough to feel my muscles burn for a few minutes.

That being said, all those steps are going to make you feel a lot better.

Stretches/yoga make me feel a lot better too, even if they do not contribute to aerobic exercise or calorie burn. They prepare my body to prevent injury.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's fine. Keep it up. While it's not a "workout", getting up and walking does have other benefits, like maintaining joint health, increasing lymph flow, and preventing back problems.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »

Agreed.

Also, in most cases, being more active throughout the day doesn't have as significant of an impact as many people think/expect.

I'd question this.

I think it makes a substantial difference.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Even if it isn't a "workout" its still activity and will still help in your efforts to be fit.