Dont lose weight...

Options
DangerousDUCK
DangerousDUCK Posts: 181 Member
edited February 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Lose FAT,
Any rise in the scale numbers we tend to always assume is a fat gain,

In reality, fat is lost and gained at relatively slowly. For people on the leaner side(for heavier folks 2-3lbs is excessive) a half to 1 pound per week change in fat(Up or Down) will be all you can get.

To gain 1-3 pounds of actual fat would mean you've consumed 3500-10,000kcals over what you've burned during the week, which means approx 500-1500kcals over per day.

While it is possible to eat that much, it’s extremely unlikely if on any sort of "diet". It’s even less likely that you're eating that much EVERY day.

So a dramatic swing in weight on the scales in a few days must be something else.
- Muscle? unlikely as like fat its gained and lost relatively slowly.

- A full stomach? this can be partly to blame as a full hearty dinner definitely will temporarily add to the scale weight. Test it yourself, weigh yourself then gulp down 2 litres of water instant over 4lbs gain! :)

-Carbs? can also affect scale weight as they are stored as glycogen and bring with them 3 x their weight in water as part of their processes

-Sodium, creatine and Stress levels also cause your body to retain water thus meaning the change in scale weight can be drastic in just a few days, when all that is taken into account, your scale weight can vary by potentially as much as 10lbs!

So while checking your weight can be important it is by no means the full story.

Record your body measurements before starting a diet or take average weight numbers across a week to get a clearer picture of your overall progress.

Thanks for reading this an hopefully next time you wont beat yourself up or lose motivation because you gained a pound over the weekend!

Terry :)

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    All very true! People fret hard when they see the scale leap, but it's so rarely an issue
    - A full stomach? this can be partly to blame as a full hearty dinner definitely will temporarily add to the scale weight. Test it yourself, weigh yourself then gulp down 2 litres of water instant 2lbs gain! :)

Actually, it will be a 2kg/4.4lb instant gain! 1 litre of water weighs a kilo :)
  • DangerousDUCK
    edited February 2015
    Options
    cheers, was a bit of an off the cuff comment. :smiley:

p.s I corrected it now. thanks again
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I pretty much agree with all of this. Maybe the exception being, it's not all that hard to eat a few thousand over maintenance in a week. But yeah, I still mostly agree.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    -Sodium, creatine and Stress levels also cause your body to retain water thus meaning the change in scale weight can be drastic in just a few days, when all that is taken into account, your scale weight can vary by potentially as much as 10lbs!

Queen of this part!
  • VixxyLiss
    VixxyLiss Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    So totally agree with this, we know that a muscle is less dense than fat so we can be the same weight but actually be smaller in size - I continually have arguments with my husband over this, he tells me that he's still ok because he hasn't put on weight and I tell him that he may not have put on weight but he is losing his muscles and gaining fat through poor food choices, too much alcohol and little to no exercise, therefore his body is getting bigger.

People get so hung up on how much weight they've lost when inches is actually a better way of looking at it - unless they're going to be a hardcore body builder - after all I don't go into a shop looking for clothes that fit someone who weighs 12st 5lb (errr I wish!), no I go looking for my actual size as determined by inches/cm or whatever it is!
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Lose FAT,
    Any rise in the scale numbers we tend to always assume is a fat gain,

In reality, fat is lost and gained at relatively slowly. For people on the leaner side(for heavier folks 2-3lbs is excessive) a half to 1 pound per week change in fat(Up or Down) will be all you can get.

Yer funny, Bro.

Many of us had no problems going far, far,over.

I was perfectly comfortable doing 3,000 over a day on a regular and continuing basis. The one I noticed first was a particularly bad vacation to The Black Hills a few years back. 23 pounds gained in 28 days. And it was easy - all too easy to do.

The rest is Good Stuff, but that first part I quoted is Malarkey for many of us. Too many of us.

• SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    VixxyLiss wrote: »
    So totally agree with this, we know that a muscle is less dense than fat so we can be the same weight but actually be smaller in size - I continually have arguments with my husband over this, he tells me that he's still ok because he hasn't put on weight and I tell him that he may not have put on weight but he is losing his muscles and gaining fat through poor food choices, too much alcohol and little to no exercise, therefore his body is getting bigger.

People get so hung up on how much weight they've lost when inches is actually a better way of looking at it - unless they're going to be a hardcore body builder - after all I don't go into a shop looking for clothes that fit someone who weighs 12st 5lb (errr I wish!), no I go looking for my actual size as determined by inches/cm or whatever it is!

We certainly don't know that. In fact, most of us *know* the opposite. Muscle is MORE dense than fat.
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting Dangerous Duck. Good to keep in mind.
  • DangerousDUCK
    Options
    palwithme wrote: »
    Thanks for posting Dangerous Duck. Good to keep in mind.
    :)
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    This is why taking measurements beyond just scale weight can help paint a more complete picture over time.
  • Ooci
    Ooci Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Timely; I'm fighting misery over weight gain. Trying hard but not seeing much in the way of loss. Very useful - thanks.
  • DangerousDUCK
    Options
    EvanKeel wrote: »
    This is why taking measurements beyond just scale weight can help paint a more complete picture over time.

definately, its always something you regret after a while that you dont have that data as a reference point to show how far you've come

• mizzzc
    mizzzc Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    This should be flagged and highlighted or whatever the term is to make this the top link in this forum!
  • DangerousDUCK
    Options
    mizzzc wrote: »
    This should be flagged and highlighted or whatever the term is to make this the top link in this forum!

Thanks, its definitely an often overlooked part of dieting and exercising to lose weight.
    :smile:
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

It is called sticky note.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Last thread not go so well?
    6J1Q
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    6J1Q

my thoughts exactly
  • Cc215
    Cc215 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    6J1Q

Lol - mind if I pinch a bit of that popcorn?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Cc215 wrote: »
    6J1Q

Lol - mind if I pinch a bit of that popcorn?

Oh you sharing? Wait let me get my food scale.

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

There's already a much better one stickied at the to of this forum.