New to the board - starting a lifestyle change

Options
Whitty1982
Whitty1982 Posts: 30 Member
Hello everyone,

29 year old male from Louisville KY
My wife and I are starting an Atkins program on the recommendation of our doctor.

We got married about a year ago and have been trying to lose weight for at least two years with little to no success.

We wanted to get to our ideal weight after we got engaged - before our wedding. (gave us a year to do it)
We figured even if we got close to our goal - we would still be in a much better shape other than round.

Two personal trainers, a weight watchers program, diet pills, and calorie counting diet later - we're right back where we started, if not worse. It seemed like no matter what we did, we couldn't drop the weight.

Today started our lifestyle change - I think we've learned that there is no such thing as a weight loss diet unless you are within 30 lbs of your ideal weight. At least it's been that way for us. With the personal trainers - we felt better but were still not losing weight - after about 3 months of that - we decided to try other avenues.

My biggest challenge is getting rid of the mass around my mid-section.
Her biggest challenge is getting rid of the extra hip & thigh padding.

One thing we never did throughout most of the programs was cut out carbs so we're hoping that this will work.
The doctor recommended doing the Atkins Phase 1 for 2-4 weeks - after that - move to a modified Atkins plan that will be easier to maintain.

My biggest mental block is that I have to realize that most food doesn't have to be on a cracker or between two slices of bread - especially when it comes to lunch or eating out.

Today is the first day - trying to get my wife on board with this site - it should help us keep track of our food, weight, carbs, and protein. I jumped the carb/sandwich hurdle today by having steak/cheese lettuce wraps for lunch. It was pretty good actually and surprisingly filling. It makes sense not to eat a bunch of processed junk - starting to remember the old elementary school painting on the wall - "You are what you eat"

I've rambled on enough - just wanted to say hello and hoping to get some good tips and tricks from other members that have had success in taking the weight off and keeping it off.

Replies

• MMAsac
    MMAsac Posts: 191
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the boards from another biker as well haha. Anyways My fiance and I are doing the same thing trying to lose weight. we started in january and I have lost 49.2 lbs so far, and she is at 37.6. it can be done man
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You have come to the right place!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I tried Atkins and was probably the only person who gained weight on it. LOL. Good Luck to both of you!!!

I've been burning belly, hip and thigh flab by doing cardio. :)
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Good Luck!

I am a previouse (and still cometimes lol) carb lover
    I moved in with my parents recently to a primarily gluten free house and OMG Im glad we didnt live like this when I was a kid but at the same time it would have made a total difference in my life/health too.

I have learned alot from healthy carb substitutues, and simply enjoying not having to have a pasta side dish for dinner ever night or a sandwhich daily. It definently it s life-style change. I wont lie its not easy at first but once you make that commitment youll realize its actually pretty easy to maintain
  • scarnall2
    scarnall2 Posts: 18
    Options
    Once you start logging your calories, it will make a world of difference. Biggest advice. don't lie to yourself about how many calories you really eat. A lady I work with will enter her calories, but say "what I ate couldn't be that high in calories" so she deducts calories. You can't do that, you have to be true to your calorie count. Also, if you are exercising and say you burn 500 calories, only eat back 250 of those calories. Don't eat the extra 500. It will make a huge difference in your weight loss. Eating healthy and dieting is like playing golf. You only hurt yourself when you cheat at your score. Logging calories really works and also holds you accountable. Congrats on the wedding and welcome to group.
  • nikkinikki113
    nikkinikki113 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!!

It makes it soooo much easier when both of you are working towards the same goal. You can be each other's motivation and support, and the best part - you both get to benefit from the other's loss as well.

I wish you all the success on your journey.

Get your wife on here, and both of you feel free to add me for support!
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the first day of the rest of your life. I think that you will find many helpful and useful tools on this site, as well as many supportive folks. In the past I've done Atkins and had had a fair amount of success, but I found it wasn't a lifestyle I could maintain and of course gained everything back and then some. I'm actually kind of surprised your doctor recommended it, but there are probably other reasons that I am not aware of. If you find that you can maintain the lifestyle for the rest of your life, then by all means, go for it, because as you said, this is a lifestyle change, not a diet. For me, after trying everything, I finally came to the realization that basically, we still have to change our habits, expend more energy (calories) than we take in, eat healthy foods, and get regular exercise. For me, MFP has been a godsend, and I hope that you will use the support and tools available to you. convince your wife to get on board. Keep your eyes out for friendly challenges that people do here, and try stepping out of your comfort zone and doing things you haven't done before. Good luck with your goals and feel free to add me as a freind if you'd like.
  • Superdupermom
    Superdupermom Posts: 149
    Options
    my husband and I are on here and you can both add both of us..his name is on my friends list "snackaddict"
  • nykdem
    nykdem Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Welcome. Both my wife and I are relative newbies on this site (3 weeks in). We are finding that while we're logging our calorie intake (truthfully) we are being held accountable for what we put in our bodies. It is a real lifestyle change AND it works. The support, encouragement, advice and occasional nagging (lol) that you get from everyone is so motivating and helps keep you focussed.
    Good luck with achieving your goals.
    I'll send you a friend request.
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I'm amazed, and slightly frightened, that a doctor would suggest Adkins. However if it works for you have at it. I've seen so many gimmicks come and go promising a "shortcut" to weight loss or weight loss without effort. I've also seen a lot of medical conferences in which the results of those are presented in ways that you just can't argue with.

To me the only way to make a permanent difference is to make a permanent change. If you want the body of an athlete, you have to commit to the lifestyle of an athlete forever. For me it was accepting two basic truths.

1. there is plenty of time for rest while you sleep. If you have time to stare at the T.V. you have time to exercise. (I have a stationary bike in front of the set now.)

2. If it's not good for you, don't stick it in your face. Unless it's Guinness or a good martini. Some things are forgone exceptions at least when taken in moderation.

On the bright side you have your wife going through the whole thing with you. It sounds like a great chance to really learn how to support each other. Work out together, eat together, watch out for each other and provide the support that the other needs. Sounds easy, but it can be a harder challenge than just loosing weight. The end result can be an unshakable partnership that others will envy even more than your success with weight loss.

This is a good site to get support and advice. I've even found some darn good recipes posted in the forums or on blogs here.

Welcome and good luck on your journey.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    hi..im new and my nutritional knowledge is at best weak...I am trying to drop at least 50lbs and 22 lbs gone in a month..I try and burn around 500 calories a day in exercise..it can be fun, a moderate walk or even half an hour of nintendo wii boxing/tennis is good...but above all as a male i try and keep my calories down to 1400 max. it's a struggle and as long as i keep my calories down to 1400 and drink LOTS of water ( hard for a coca cola addict), I am seeing some results.

best thing is keep at it, never quit and motivate each other...and feel free to add me as a friend on here as i have none!!

I am a vegetarian, gasp shock but if i can keep myself away from the usual amounts of bread, cheese and potato chips, ANYONE can!

much love, and good look to both of you, just keep at it, balanced diet and exercise + lots of water..perhaps a little simplistic but it's all i know!
  • Whitty1982
    Whitty1982 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the quick responses and encouragement!
    Good to see some real human beings that are working towards the same goals! Especially another biker!
    I always said - if it weren't for bike nights in college - I would have starved - sometimes I should have! LOL
    Had a place nearly every night of the week with a bike night that provided free burgers and free pizza if you rode in. Should have known I couldn't have kept that up!

Congrats to all of you that are halfway down your sliders or more!
    We used CalorieCount.com when we were doing our low cal diet and weight watchers. I agree with the comment about cheating on what you record. Doesn't do a bit of good.

The thing we like most about this site is that they have what seems to be a great Droid application so we can record what we eat on the go and it will sync with what's online or on our phone - either way.

We are saving up to get a decent used Elliptical machine. That was one that we both really enjoyed and didn't bother her hips and my knees as much as a treadmill does - plus we can do it in front of the TV which is about the only downtime we seem to have lately.

I was surprised to hear the doctor recommend Atkins as well but we read the book first and it makes sense. I think the problem a lot of people have is that they think they can eat all the bacon and cheese that they want. Even had some friends in the past that would drink most of the night and end it up with fried bacon that they would dip into a nacho cheese dip. (Don't think that's what Atkins had in mind)

However - it makes a lot of sense when you look at healthier nations like China, Japan, and places in Europe where people do eat well but they eat more vegetables and fruits along with meats and cheeses. The staple of their meals do not surround items that require bread.

Found this online just researching things more regarding carb intake:

300 or more grams/day - Danger Zone!

Easy to reach with the “normal” American diet (cereals, pasta, rice, bread, waffles, pancakes, muffins, soft drinks, packaged snacks, sweets, desserts). High risk of excess fat storage, inflammation, increased disease markers including Metabolic Syndrome or diabetes. Sharp reduction of grains and other processed carbs is critical unless you are on the “chronic cardio” treadmill (which has its own major drawbacks).

150-300 grams/day – Steady, Insidious Weight Gain

Continued higher insulin-stimulating effect prevents efficient fat burning and contributes to widespread chronic disease conditions. This range – irresponsibly recommended by the USDA and other diet authorities – can lead to the statistical US average gain of 1.5 pounds of fat per year for forty years.

100-150 grams/day – Primal Blueprint Maintenance Range

This range based on body weight and activity level. When combined with Primal exercises, allows for genetically optimal fat burning and muscle development. Range derived from Grok’s (ancestors’) example of enjoying abundant vegetables and fruits and avoiding grains and sugars.

50-100 grams/day – Primal Sweet Spot for Effortless Weight Loss

Minimizes insulin production and ramps up fat metabolism. By meeting average daily protein requirements (.7 – 1 gram per pound of lean bodyweight formula), eating nutritious vegetables and fruits (easy to stay in 50-100 gram range, even with generous servings), and staying satisfied with delicious high fat foods (meat, fish, eggs, nuts, seeds), you can lose one to two pounds of body fat per week and then keep it off forever by eating in the maintenance range.

0-50 grams/day – Ketosis and Accelerated Fat Burning

Acceptable for a day or two of Intermittent Fasting towards aggressive weight loss efforts, provided adequate protein, fat and supplements are consumed otherwise. May be ideal for many diabetics. Not necessarily recommended as a long-term practice for otherwise healthy people due to resultant deprivation of high nutrient value vegetables and fruits.