Compulsive night eating...

Options
I basically keep over eating, at night, every night.

Granted, I’m not eating absolute *kitten* like chocolate and biscuits and whatnot, but nuts DO ADD UP. I’ve polished off a small jar cashew butter (took me 4 days), and almost finished the peanut butter (5 days and counting), AND 100g roasted almonds are vastly disappearing too…

It’s an addiction. Nut addiction. Food addiction. After dinner snacking addiction. It’s like… I can’t accept that eating for the day is over. I need to extend my eating window (which translates to extending my joy and happiness).

So, has anyone conquered this unhealthy habit? I am eating 'healthy' foods but obviously, they are high calorie and probably not the best choice to eat in large amounts. I just feel the NEED to eat after dinner!

Replies

• CurveyV
    CurveyV Posts: 7 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I have similar problem, my solution was: I won't buy this food so even if I want it, I don't have it... It works.
    And also if u sleep early or drink water or black tea helps in stop feeling hungry
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    In many cases, what's actually going on is your body wants the endorphins supplied by eating such comfort foods. Exercise also releases endorphins, so you can actually curb some of these cravings.

I also struggled with this exact same issue. I found the best thing was to prep for it. After dinner I put on sweat pants, sweat shirt, sneakers. That way I could immediately go for a walk when I had the cravings. I discovered that a package of nuts from the store was 200 calories, and the walk there and back burned about 200 calories, so that's what I would do, guilt free.
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I always brush my teeth after I'm done eating for the day (nothing tastes good after toothpaste).
  • DeliVibes
    DeliVibes Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I agree, stop buying nuts! Drink loads of water. I personally like to have a hot cup of water with a wedge of lime, it keeps me distracted. Another thing I used to do in summer was to freeze juice ice cubes with a lollipop stick and have these when I wanted to binge. I assume you are not actually hungry but just craving carbs and sugar and want to feel full. Once you go 1 week without snacking after 9pm it gets a lot easier, trust me. You also have to be in charge of your own body and mind. It takes willpower but anyone can do it, you just need to find what works best for you.
  • jessicaaa456
    jessicaaa456 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    DeliVibes wrote: »
    I agree, stop buying nuts! Drink loads of water. I personally like to have a hot cup of water with a wedge of lime, it keeps me distracted. Another thing I used to do in summer was to freeze juice ice cubes with a lollipop stick and have these when I wanted to binge. I assume you are not actually hungry but just craving carbs and sugar and want to feel full. Once you go 1 week without snacking after 9pm it gets a lot easier, trust me. You also have to be in charge of your own body and mind. It takes willpower but anyone can do it, you just need to find what works best for you.

It's not so much the sugar, as the nuts I buy are raw and I roast them/make nut butter out of them myself, without adding anything. So technically, they are a healthy source of fats and proteins. I workout a lot and am vegetarian so nuts are always recommended to me for recovery/protein sources, and I love them! (A bit too much it would seem...)

Can anyone recommend any other easy, healthy snacks?