Medications Hindering Weight Loss?

Options
I suffer from panic disorder and hormonal imbalances, and am on Zoloft and birth control. Every time I start feeling good, I go off the birth control, wean down on my Zoloft dose, and end up losing the weight. I get a few bouts of debilitating panic or emotional problems and go back on the meds. I then start feeling well, but the weight creeps back, and I have no success losing while on them...ever. I've been on an 80lb up and down roller coaster for over a decade, which is going to blow up my heart eventually if I don't stop. I need to stay out of denial that I need meds right now, stay on them, and somehow find a way to lose the weight. I workout/dance every single day, NEVER any less than 5 days per week, and I've been tracking pretty faithfully. Anyone else have a hard time on certain meds or have any advice? My doctor insists it's possible to lose the weight while on these two meds and I know he's right...but I just need to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Thanks guys!

Replies

• joejward95
    joejward95 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It is totally possible to loose weight on Medication. Lost around 60lbs while on medication that hindered weight loss. At the end of the day it is 100% down to Calories in vs Calories out. You medication may make you hungrier but it wont break the laws of physics.

Do you weigh your food?How strictly do you track your calories. Do you give yourself cheat days?If so do you track theM?
  • rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    You're not doing anything "wrong". Just recognize that it might take longer.

I used to take Paxil for years, and still struggle with anxiety/depression, though off medication now. If you need it, you need it. No shame in that - take the meds.

You didn't gain the weight in a week/month, don't expect to lose it all in a short period of time either. You can lose the weight gradually, just as you put it on.

Eat within your limit, enjoy life, and know that this is a marathon, not a sprint. No sense in losing the weight if it's going to come at a cost of panic attacks and hating life.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    rand486 wrote: »
    You're not doing anything "wrong". Just recognize that it might take longer.

I used to take Paxil for years, and still struggle with anxiety/depression, though off medication now. If you need it, you need it. No shame in that - take the meds.

You didn't gain the weight in a week/month, don't expect to lose it all in a short period of time either. You can lose the weight gradually, just as you put it on.

Eat within your limit, enjoy life, and know that this is a marathon, not a sprint. No sense in losing the weight if it's going to come at a cost of panic attacks and hating life.

This. My cancer med made me gain 15 pounds that I cannot shake. I'm not going off the med, so I deal with the hand I have. I work out harder and have a pretty fluffy booty.

• mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    February 6, 2015 12:32PM Flag Quote ·

I agree wholeheartedly!
  • amydadeyrhodes
    amydadeyrhodes Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am also taking Paxil and Wellbutrin and having major struggles with my weight. I feel like my life is on hold until I lose this weight. I keep trying and trying. Should I just face facts and accept the fact that I will never be the size I used to be.
  • MelWick524
    MelWick524 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Sometimes I wonder if there's a placebo effect here. Like...when I go on the meds, I expect to gain weight, so I let myself go off track somewhat. When I go off the meds, I expect to lose weight, so I get back on track 100%. All of these responses are so reassuring and supportive. Thank you. I can do this. I will do this. I want to be around a long time for my son and husband. Our 1 year wedding anniversary and my 30th birthday are coming up in May & June respectively, and I want to whole-heartedly enjoy both celebrations.