Should I join a gym?

Options
I had never stepped foot in a gym until a few days ago. A friend of mine invited me to Zumba class. I own a stationary bike which I ride for 30 mins each morning and a treadmill which I hate. The gym that I went to has a ton of equipment, classes, two pools, a hot tub and a sauna. My husband says that I need a hobby because my life is spent working ( I am a manager and on salary) and taking care of 3 kids, ages 17, 15 and 12. The fee for the gym totals is a $148.00 sign up fee, $19.99 per month and a yearly fee of $29.99. Does anyone have any helpful experience?

Replies

• KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Do you want to is the question? Will you make use of it? Do you have time to go? Do you rather work out at home or the gym?

We can't tell you....but what I can say is that I joined the gym and I never go. When I go there I just end up doing what I can do at home or at my apartment gym. Not everyone is the same. Some have to work out in a gym and some prefer home.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I love my gym. I guess my question would be did you get a good vibe from the place? I went to several gyms and toured before I set on the one I am at now. See if they have a guest pass for the week or a few days (the ones I looked at did). That way you can get a good feel for the place.
  • rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Find an exercise routine that matches your fitness goals first, then find a gym that accommodates that.

How are you going to choose a gym if you don't know what amenities you need? A pool? Squat rack? Free weights? Instruction/classes?

You won't see a general contractor choose their tools before deciding what they're going to build.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I belong to the Y and they have quite a few classes which are part of the membership fee. If you want to socialize, you can meet a lot more people at a gym than in your house. If not, stick with the treadmill and stationary bike you already have at home.
  • stacerenea27
    stacerenea27 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I got a great feel from the gym. My friend goes 5 days a week and her friends were very friendly and focused. I would be able to attend classes with her. I would probably use the pool most often. I have a pool at home but there are only a couple of months per year that I can use it. I have not tried weights yet but I am not opposed to it. One of my concerns is that I have a back injury from a car accident and I have not tested all of the equipment.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I got a great feel from the gym. My friend goes 5 days a week and her friends were very friendly and focused. I would be able to attend classes with her. I would probably use the pool most often. I have a pool at home but there are only a couple of months per year that I can use it. I have not tried weights yet but I am not opposed to it. One of my concerns is that I have a back injury from a car accident and I have not tested all of the equipment.
    It seems like you would enjoy the gym. Just take your time with the equipment. I am sure someone there can guide you to what equipment is best for your back injury and what is not.

I joined cause I thought it would be a great way for me to get out of the house. It is and sounds like that is a great gym. I say go for it since it does peak your interest.
  • ibbyiam
    Options
    If u want to begin a different routine then u can join. I was like you had never joined a gym, except going on base. I went w/my daughter to visit some gyms. Found one that was offering no fees and it's a chain so I go to others that offer different classes or programs. Also, some may waive the fee for beginning of year, which I did, and got the least expensive pkg. there is no other fees only the monthly fee of $30. Look around and compare gyms and what you feel you will use. Good luck and hope u find one that w/fit ur needs.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Do you want to?

Can you afford it?

If the answer to both is yes do it, your children are old enough to watch themselves.
  • hanab1987
    hanab1987 Posts: 34 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The gym staff will show you how to use all the equipment and I'm sure your friends will help you too if you get stuck but generally everything is pretty user friendly. The staff should also be able to give you the best options for a routine so that you do not aggravate your back.

I personally gave up on my gym subscription as I hardly ever went! i also have a stationary bike at home and I now use resultswithlucy.com which has lots of different home workouts to do. YouTube is a great option too and they're free!
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I had never stepped foot in a gym until a few days ago. A friend of mine invited me to Zumba class. I own a stationary bike which I ride for 30 mins each morning and a treadmill which I hate. The gym that I went to has a ton of equipment, classes, two pools, a hot tub and a sauna. My husband says that I need a hobby because my life is spent working ( I am a manager and on salary) and taking care of 3 kids, ages 17, 15 and 12. The fee for the gym totals is a $148.00 sign up fee, $19.99 per month and a yearly fee of $29.99. Does anyone have any helpful experience?

I go to the gym a lot because I love it, if you love the gym then the answer is yes. At this point though, you obviously can't tell if you'd love it or not. Ideally, you need to find a gym that will allow you a trial period and see how it works out for you. If you're keen to increase exercise, but not so keen on going to a gym - there are loads of ways to do that. And plenty of people on here who'll advise you on that.
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should check out different gyms and see about getting free passes to see if you like and will actually use it. A lot of gyms will give you a personal training session with your sign up and that would be a good thing to use. The trainer could give you an overview of all of the equipment there.

Over the years I've met a lot of great people and some of my closest friends are my gym friends. I personally can't work out at home. I just don't feel motivated there. Other people dislike the gym. You have to find what's right for you.
  • stacerenea27
    stacerenea27 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the advice! I may see if I can get a trial . I liked what I saw so far but you never can tell with just one visit.