YMCA membership

Options
I miss my spinning classes so much and its the only thing I enjoyed. I don't enjoy exercising by myself, and I really love group classes. I really want to join again but it is a lot of money 50/month, I think its worth it but convincing my husband will be hard. I am a stay at home mom so we are only one income. I have tried 24 hour fitness and I hated it, so many people and the classes are always full, Y classes are small and that is another thing I love about it.

Replies

• palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I know how tough it is being a one-income family. Is there ANYTHING you can get rid of? Perhaps cut down the food budget or decrease your cell plan? I don't know, anything? I just love my Y. :D
  • Rodallie
    Rodallie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my YMCA. Not sure of your financial situation but the YMCA offers financial assistance for memberships. It may work out to be a minimal reduction in the cost but every penny helps. It's a quick, confidential process, call your local Y and see if this is applicable for you. Good luck :smiley:
  • mysticlizard
    mysticlizard Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    The Y here offers a sliding fee scale. My oldest daughter filled out the paperwork and was accepted at a lower fee. It is worth a try :)
  • bearinthebigbluehouse
    Options
    TY I will think about what I could cut down. But I really don't think its about if we could afford it, its more about my husband thinking 50/month is not worth it for the Y. I would enjoy exercise more if I was in a group class. I lost a lot on inches from spinning. If I worked things would be different.
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I had a membership for 4 years at $80 a month. I enjoyed the Pilates class, the spin classes were OK..I guess I'm on a different level since I do long distance road cycling and found the classes were not that challenging or serious. I re-connected with cycling outdoors and lost more weight than when I was a member.
  • JessRaddatz
    JessRaddatz Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    What about getting a part time job at the Y? I have heard that they offer free childcare for the employees while they work as well as a free membership. Gets you out of the house, a little extra cash, kids get some time with other kids, you get a break from the kids, and you get to enjoy the classes. I am not totally sure if this is true, but it might be something worth looking into. Hard for your husband to disagree with a little extra cash coming in :) I also love the Y!
  • Talkradio
    Talkradio Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Rodallie wrote: »
    I LOVE my YMCA. Not sure of your financial situation but the YMCA offers financial assistance for memberships. It may work out to be a minimal reduction in the cost but every penny helps. It's a quick, confidential process, call your local Y and see if this is applicable for you. Good luck :smiley:

Our Y provides financial assistance as well. We get a 35% discount and they waived the start up fee.

For us, joining the Y has been a sanity saver. I'm a sahm as well, and in the winter I NEED to get out or I go REDRUM. Going to the Y keeps me from going to Target and boredom buying just to get out of the house. And, more seriously, investing in fitness can save you from medical costs down the road.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    We consider the Y pre-paid, reasonably priced entertainment.

Our teenaged boys use it for hours for the bball courts, my daughter likes the pool and is learning to "work out," and she has done camp with them (for a reduced rate). I'm at the Y working out every day of the week, and my husband is there four or five days out of the week. So, for us, $68/month for use of any YMCA in Richmond or Williamsburg is a steal. I know people have different experiences though. I love our YMCAs.
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Definitely look into the financial assistance. Also, I have a family membership for 4 of us and that's $65 per month. Will anyone else in your family use it with you? Not sure how old your kid/s are, but my 6 year old and 14 year old LOVE the Y.
  • bearinthebigbluehouse
    Options
    I asked them if I could volunteer/work and they said no, we don't qualify for financial assistance. I don't spend a lot for myself on clothes and etc.. he keeps on saying that I have to exercise and he is worried about my health.
  • mommyvo23
    mommyvo23 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I was a SAHM for many years when my 4 kids were younger and started working part time at the Y. Not only did I get paid, but our Y offers a free individual or reduced rate family membership to all employees that work a minimum number of hours per week (6). I loved it so much, it is now my career:) Definitely look into Financial Assistance and part time jobs!!
  • jchenks
    jchenks Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Yeah - the financial assistance program but if you say you can afford it its just your husband that isn't totally into it look into volunteering. After a specific time frame I believe you can get your membership waived or cut in half.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    TY I will think about what I could cut down. But I really don't think its about if we could afford it, its more about my husband thinking 50/month is not worth it for the Y. I would enjoy exercise more if I was in a group class. I lost a lot on inches from spinning. If I worked things would be different.

Reading this, I see the issue as whether you and your husband can figure out the degree to which one person gets to decide what is "worth it" or not for another person.
  • brandigyrl81
    brandigyrl81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I love the Y and their group classes!!!! Here are a few of options:

1. Have your husband check with the company he works for and see if they get a corporate discount.
    2. Find out information about the income-based membership rate.
    3. (I hope I'm not overstepping my boundaries on this one) Since it's tax return season (for some), maybe use that extra money to pay for membership for a year.

As you mentioned, it's worth the investment, especially if you're enjoying it!
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    OK, here is a guys perspective, I am married and have a similar argument with my wife. My wife has to have the premium memberships, at the fancy gyms, I go basic. (She is $60 to $100 a month, I am $10. I go regularly 3 to 4x a week.) Honestly, though IF she used it, and used it regularly three or four times a week, I probably would not care. It is for her health, time to herself, time to work off stress, and I benefit. She unfortunately though goes twice one week, and then does not go again for a month or two. So to me she is not able to justify the cost.

And things might be too tight for you, I do not know that, but to me if you can justify the cost, and actually go, and establish a track record, then he might not throw up as much resistance. Tell him you want to do it for two months, and if you do not use it at least two to three times a week, then after the two months you will drop it, and not mention it again. That way there is a plan, a finite trial period, and the terms are fully known to both of you.
  • bearinthebigbluehouse
    bearinthebigbluehouse Posts: 43 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    TY for everyone's advice, yes sometimes I feel like since he works and makes the pay check it gets more say in what we spend, but it should not be like that. Marriage is 50/50.

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Your profile says your goal is 30 pounds. Tell hubby that you want the membership as a reward when you lose 15.
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Something I read yesterday says marriage is 100/100, but that's whole different discussion :)

I'm a SAHM too. And I go to the Y. In my case, I didn't have to justify much with the Y membership... I feel like, when I began, my husband was at the point where he would do anything for me to get in shape. I do need to justify new clothing (new size) that I need now.

Back to your case, it might be more worthwhile for him if your kids have classes there. My girl learn swimming there and it is cheaper at the Y. The gym at the Y also allow younger (7y.o.+) kids to use the equipment with parent supervision. So, I run on treadmill while my older 2 uses the bikes. This is how I justify myself with the membership.

Value system is a very strange thing; even though I'm the one who want to go, I still feel like I could get this fitness thing done at no cost and had to argue with myself why it is worthwhile.

Oh, btw, have you pointed out to him how you get results while you were using the Y?
  • bearinthebigbluehouse
    Options
    TY! I figure I don't spend a lot on myself, clothes and etc, get out of the house meet new people. All of my friends work. He thinks fitness can be done at no charge and it can be but I find working out by myself is boring. I remember him telling how good I looked especially (lower body) it was all from spinning. I will tell him!! :smile: