Fitbit Charge HR Accuracy

Options
Does anybody have the Fitbit HR and find that the accuracy for the heart rate is way off when working out? I'm about to return it.

Replies

• amyj000
    amyj000 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Bummer. I was going to reward myself with this since my Polar broke. Guess I won't bother.
  • fitbit8
    fitbit8 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    amyj000 wrote: »
    Bummer. I was going to reward myself with this since my Polar broke. Guess I won't bother.

I called them and they said that the Fitbit uses it's own algorithm. I said they need to use an algorithm that gives an accurate reading of how many times my heart beats per minute...not Fitbit's version. Dumb.
  • amyj000
    amyj000 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    That is pretty dumb. Makes you wonder the correct algorithm.
  • Technopagan
    Technopagan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have a Charge HR and did a comparison between it and my Suunto HRM and honestly, while it misses the mark by about 3-5 bpm (Charge HR peak 174bpm / Suunto 179 bpm) at the top end of my workouts, it was overall very close, and the average bpm was identical on the devices over a 50 - 60 minute workout session.

The calories burnt stat was different between the two, by about 100 - 200, but I put that down to different algorithms being used, where the Charge HR was lower than the Suunto, but that is no biggie to me. If the Charge HR is under reading then I have less exercise calories that I believe I can eat back (not that I do that very often anyway) which means I have an actual bigger calorie deficit, and if the Suunto was over reading then I am staying on track...

After a week and a bit I have decided that the one big benefit is that I no longer have to wear a chest strap HRM that annoys me to all hell, I can't imagine how women deal with one and a sports bra... the Charge HR meets my requirements, so the Suunto is being retired.
  • fitbit8
    Options
    I will be dripping sweat on the treadmill and the HR on the band is reading only about 15 over my resting heart rate. Thanks for the info Tech:)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,241 Member
    Options
    fitbit8 wrote: »
    I will be dripping sweat on the treadmill and the HR on the band is reading only about 15 over my resting heart rate. Thanks for the info Tech:)

Perhaps there is a problem with your Charge? I am not sure what process it uses to measure HR, but I seem to remember that the optical measure does not work with some people, so if they use that it may be the problem. I don't remember the details, or if this even is applicable to the way Fitbit Charge measures HR.

• Acolores
    Acolores Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good to know!! I've been contemplating on buying one. I guess I'll stick to my polar watch
  • fitbit8
    Options
    So I read that it will give you a more accurate reading when you start the stop watch on it when you workout. I'll try it today and see if it's more accurate!!
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Could easily be a user error. Are you wearing it correctly? I see many people who wear their Fitbits too loose, and while that may not matter as much for non HR versions, that habit would have a significant impact on the readings of an HR device.
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Honestly mine is not super accurate reading heart rate when I do TRX or lift, but it is pretty spot on during steady state cardio and pretty much any other activity. It won't always read peak heart rates during TRX or lifting (which I know I am reaching at times), but the other info is interesting enough to me that I'm keeping it. The sleep tracker is just fascinating to me. I have lost 3 pounds since getting it (after being stalled for months), so one way or another it is working and motivating me.
  • Technopagan
    Technopagan Posts: 5 Member
    Options

I have a pool of sweat around me when I'm done training, but as rileysowner did mention the optical sensors can have issues with reading depending on skin complexion, I believe darker skin can have issues, I have olive/tanned skin tone so no big issues on my side. I know fitbit say not to wear it too tight, but I wear it tight during exercise about one finger width up from my wristbone and tight enough for it not to move, wearing it tight prevents external light from getting in under the band which I found will affect the readings, I tested that when I first got it where having some gap between skin and the sensors would change the reading and in some cases not read at all.

Also I always have it in activity mode during a workout, which I believe makes it read more consistently, though I have nothing that documents that as fact, just my opinion.
  • fitbit8
    Options
    Could easily be a user error. Are you wearing it correctly? I see many people who wear their Fitbits too loose, and while that may not matter as much for non HR versions, that habit would have a significant impact on the readings of an HR device.

I have tried it many different ways. Tighter looser...one finger above the wrist bone...two fingers above the wrist bone. Same results. Last night the elliptical was reading 150 and my fitbit was reading 98.
  • lonerchick
    Options
    Mine seems to have trouble going over 150. Otherwise everything else is accurate.
  • hannydeee
    hannydeee Posts: 155 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    So I read that it will give you a more accurate reading when you start the stop watch on it when you workout. I'll try it today and see if it's more accurate!!

Did this make any difference? I read somewhere that when in 'workout mode', the sensors take a reading every second, as opposed to every 5 (I think) seconds when in normal mode.
  • UncreativeMe123
    UncreativeMe123 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    So far mine has been pretty accurate, at worst just a few beats different then the heart rate reader on the machine I use. I have no issue getting it over 160, and the HR it claims feels consistent with how I feel. I just have to be sure to move out up my wrist according to instructions, and make sure it is snug but not constricting. I also put it into activity mode for anything I anticipate being cardio, and then update the workout title in the dashboard later.
  • deanna418
    deanna418 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Does anybody have the Fitbit HR and find that the accuracy for the heart rate is way off when working out? I'm about to return it.

I have had mine for about 3 weeks now. I read online that when you exercise the Fitbit Charge HR needs to be at least two fingers higher from your wrist-hand meet. I also make sure mine is tighter when I am exercising. I have noticed when I am sweating I have to wipe down the inside to allow it to stay where it is at.

I hope this helps because I haven't noticed a difference on my HR being lower when exercising. The only time I truly hate it is when I am asleep!
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I wear mine three to four fingers above the wrist bone, as recommended, and it works fine. Also pretty tight.

The only issue I have with it is sometimes, during large spikes, like during hiit, it won't get a reading at all for a bit.
  • fitbit8
    Options
    I'm taking it back....it's just not that accurate for me. I was on cardio last night...machine is reading 153...I'm sweating like a monster and my Fitbit is reading a HR of 83. I just dont' think the technology is there yet.