Anyone with binge advice? (ex-bingers? is it possible to beat?) binge free partner?

Options
Hi guys! I've been doing so well with weightless I finally thought I beat my binge cycle but I think I got a bit too restrictive and here I am again.

Does anyone have any advice on how to finally move on? Is the key possibly NOT counting calories?

Would anyone be interested in becoming accountability partners to turn to when the situation arises?

Lol I'm really just looking for any advice, I've been significantly overeating (binge type where I feel I cannot control myself) for almost two weeks now :( its really uncomfortable.

Replies

• KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I used to have problems with bingeing, food addiction, and all of the healthy unhabits that come with it. I talked to a counselor and got some more insight into the why. It took hard work and time, but I'm happy to say I've kicked the habit. Another thing that was really helpful and total eye-opener, is logging EVERYTHING you eat. Even if you binge, suck it up and log it. There's nothing like some reality to give you a good kick in the pants. Good luck, and don't give up! :smile:
  • momof3plus4more
    momof3plus4more Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice, but I struggle with binge eating some too. I find I am ok as long as I am not at home, but the evenings are my struggle.
  • shannonbun
    shannonbun Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I think I was dealing with BED during this year and probably further. i haven't binged in about a month since I started MFP, surprisingly. for me, it was more emotional triggers that set off my bingeing. If I was constantly anxious as per usual for last semester, I was... well, constantly bingeing. I stopped looking at fitspo and thinspo stuff and started going to the gym when I wanted to binge. Getting out of my room stopped me from bingeing, and if I was actually hungry after the gym, the damage wasn't as bad since I'd worked off some calories.
    It is possible to kick bingeing, but I really can't tell you how. I don't think I've kicked it, just made it dormant. Log everything you eat and it might help to keep you on track if nothing else. But remember, your mental health is more important that a diet plan. If you can't count calories, just try and be conscious of them. Wishing you luck <3
  • LaceyLieb
    LaceyLieb Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Logging it is the only thing that works for me. If I don't write it down, it's easy for me to be in denial about what I'm eating until I get to the point where I feel sick. Writing it down forces you to be honest with yourself.
  • an_emfinger
    an_emfinger Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'll be your accountability parter! Add me :)
    I tend to binge when I'm super stressed, at my wits end with the kids. Once it's bed time and they're tucked in- it's like all hell breaks loose. I do log it if I do and the guilt that comes afterward is almost enough to make me throw up. It's terrible.
    Im going to kick this though.
  • danielle7577
    danielle7577 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am also a binge eater! But this time through my weight loss journey I'm using Plexus Slim products. They are making a huge difference. I don't even eat before bed now. And when I start to feel full I can push my plate away and just be done. Just starting counting calories again this week, but I'm down 23 lbs since the beginning of November! So excited. Add me if you want! I check in frequently.
  • AprilEternity
    AprilEternity Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Does anyone watch Adrian Bryant on you-tube? I think I first heard about him somewhere on here a couple years ago... He has some good videos to help with weightloss, etc. I just recently started doing intermittent fasting which he talks about in one of his videos, you don't even really 'fast' you just choose to eat later in the day. I found that this works for me because I can 'feast' from 6pm-10pm and sort of 'binge' eat my calories a little while before bed, I'm more of a night owl and go to bed at midnight-1am. You can change the timing to fit your schedule. It explains it well in his video or you can google it.
  • zaxx1953
    zaxx1953 Posts: 389 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Take time to learn your triggers, both emotional and physical. I know for me it's MOSTLY physical at this point; things like:

* Not eating for a LONNNNG time/not eating breakfast.
    * Eating a lot of refined carbs after a fast.
    * Not eating high quality proteins with every meal.
    * Not eating fibrous veggies
    * Giving in to eating out at night.

Fast food in general....it's just tending towards triggering overeating/ lack of satiation.

I have no idea if these resonate with you, but for a lot of people that can eat A LOT (i'm talking I can binge 2/3kcals in a couple hours fairly easily if triggered), I know the parts about refined carbs are huge deals.

If your talking about like eating 2 pieces of cake or something, well, that's something a little different than binging imho....
  • LavenderLeaves
    LavenderLeaves Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    There was actually a recent article that popped up on here today, that is spot on. Just keep in mind dealing with binge eating is not an overnight thing. You will slip up. Assume binges will happen - don't make them this horrifying, terrible thing that make you feel like hiding away from the world that allow you to get wrapped up in guilt and shame over them. The goal is to keep the time between them longer and longer, and always be actively trying to cope with the triggers of them. http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/how-to-break-free-from-binge-eating/ is the article.

On days where I don't eat exactly how I'd prefer, I still log. It hurts, but it's also incredibly cathartic at the same time. It's like once everything is logged, it's not a binge I feel guilty over swimming around in my head. It just is. It happened - oh well, I just need to move forward from then on.

I personally keep my diary open with all my friends because it helps continue that sense of removing shame from what food goes into my mouth or the actions that led to it. If I struggled that day, I say something about it. It's always helpful to hear reminders from mfp friends that a day of mindless eating doesn't undo all my progress to date, and that they also have days where they struggle as well.

On days I do end up mindlessly eating or binging, I *actively deal with it* after the moment has passed. I don't just pretend it didn't happen. I log it. I write down what I was feeling when I did it, why I did it, what I ate, and then also deal with what I can do to make myself feel better and try to do things that soothe me(listening to music, drawing, reading, etc, whatever yours is.) Please feel free to add me as a friend if you like, I'm more than happy to talk to anyone about it, I'm still very much in recovery myself and talking to others helps me feel less alone, which is something a lot of bingers tend to feel about their issue. You aren't alone, promise. :)
  • eggomylegos
    eggomylegos Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Do you understand your triggers for the binges? You mentioned that you were being too restrictive. For me, that's a fast track straight to Binge City.

Is there anything else? Are you depressed or feeling down about yourself? Is work or school especially stressful lately? Does family require more from you than usual?

Learn more about what is causing your binges and get help with it. That might mean readjusting your caloric intake. If the issues are deeper than that, it might also mean reaching out to family, a doctor, or even therapist for help. Therapy was what I needed to stop the binges.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    I actually think counting calories helps fight bingeing. I have struggled with this in the past, and I am less likely to binge if I know I will be held accountable for it. Also, pre-logging your food helps, because you're more likely to just eat what you've planned, and nothing else. You can also try buying pre-portioned foods, or portion out the foods into single serving sizes as soon as you bring it home.
  • shezza4mobee
    shezza4mobee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I'm with eggonmylegos - being too restrictive might be it. I hear a lot of people say avoid trigger foods, but honestly, I think the trick is to learn to live with them, but in moderation. Do I enjoy finishing a whole container of Nutella in one sitting using nothing more than a spoon, yes! Is it good for me, does it make me feel better? No. Does the 1 Tbspn with an apple or banana solve my hunger and my low self esteem feelings? Yes. Why? Because I am teaching myself to live with my triggers. My life will not be a chocolate, cake, fat free, sugar free, carb free journey, it will be a real life with real food.
    - So maybe you should eat good an entire day, eat fresh, fruits, veggies, whole wheat etc and make sure you save some calories for those few snacks that'll make you feel like you've not given everything up.
  • gbel1975
    gbel1975 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice here. I have always struggled with binge (compulsive) overeating. It's the primary reason that losing weight has always been difficult.

I've by no means solved the problem for myself, but here are some things that have helped (some of these duplicate what's already been suggested):

- Learn your triggers and avoid them. Sometimes they're emotional, sometimes they're a smell, a taste, a place, or a food. For me peanut butter is a real problem. I could easily eat half a jar.
    - Be open and honest with people in your life that are important to you. That might be your spouse/partner, accountability partners, etc. There's a level of shame that goes with this and the only way to get over that is to be open about it. Even when you do fall.
    - Try to log the calories. Yes, it's hard to log half a bag of Oreos and chips and Chinese and a bunch of pizza (or whatever you binge on) but try to log it. It's not in an effort to shame yourself. I think it's just best to be honest with yourself and put it down in your log.
    - See if you can re-focus some of the compulsion elsewhere. For me, I got a Fitbit and focusing on the numbers that it provides has helped me. It might be equally obsessive/compulsive but it's better to be a junkie of numbers and data than it is chips and peanut butter.
    - Realize that there may be other things that are making you more susceptible to binging. For a long time I was trying to restrict myself to a calorie level that was both calculated by MFP and suggested by a trainer. I was so hungry all the time. Then when I would crack, it would be really bad because I just felt like I was starving. Since getting a Fitbit I realize I burn a whole lot more calories in a day than what I estimated. Like 700-900 more daily. I realize the Fitbit isn't exact. But even if I figure the numbers to be "close" it meant that on my original number, I was eating at a 1400 calorie deficit daily, not including exercise. That's about 10,000 calories a week, or three pounds. That's just too much. Make sure you're not starving yourself and setting yourself up for binges.
  • heyitskaydee
    heyitskaydee Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you SOO much everyone this was all 100% what I needed to hear. I did however clear my food diary. I logged everything, saw it and reflected on it and then cleared it for a fresh starts. I genuinely appreciate all the feedback and if anyone wants to friend me we can keep tabs on each other throughout this!
  • LittlePinkShotgun
    LittlePinkShotgun Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I am right here with you all... the comment about peanut butter and chips and pizza are like pages out of the story of my life!

Sometimes I feel like I could use the equivalent of an AA sponsor, or an accountability buddy... someone I can text or talk when I'm about to cave in.

Maybe a fitbit or nike fuel band would help redirect the obsession.
  • gbel1975
    gbel1975 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Accountability to someone you trust and will not judge you is vital. I've struggled with other "compulsions" and accountability has been the one thing that's helped me move on from those.

Even if the accountability partner can't stop or fix what you've done, admitting it to someone is a huge step. Also, they should be able to help you sort through the triggers and what got you there.

Unfortunately I don't have a food/eating accountability partner in my life, which is why the struggle has been so difficult for a long time.
  • rebekahzinn1
    rebekahzinn1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have a long history of binge eating, and I am very proud to say I have come out the other side. I haven't had a true binge for several years. I hear you about calorie counting, though. Calorie counting will send me into dangerous territory. Binge eating is a result of thought disorder. My brain is not "normal" when it comes to food. Too many restrictions make me want to act out and calorie counting, totally restricting certain foods, and the like are not good for me. But I have lost 120 pounds without calorie counting (except short periods). It can be done, but it requires learning how to be very honest about what are appropriate portions, snacks, and so forth. I no longer have any secret food and I force myself to admit every eating experience that I felt bad about to my husband.

Not counting calories may mean not losing weight as quickly, although slow weight loss is recommended for long term results. Also, it is so important to learn about your body and what it means to feel full, rather than simply logging food in our journal.

I try to remember that people lost weight for time immemorial before there was even knowledge about what a calorie was.

Check out the Emily Program if it is around your area.
  • rebekahzinn1
    rebekahzinn1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Binge eating is not the same as overeating or unplanned eating. Binge eating is an eating disorder more akin to anorexia or bulimia. It is now considered a mental health disorder.

From the Mayo Clinic:
    Binge-eating disorder is a serious eating disorder in which you frequently consume unusually large amounts of food. Almost everyone overeats on occasion, such as having seconds or thirds of a holiday meal. But for some people, overeating crosses the line to binge-eating disorder and it becomes a regular occurrence, usually done in secret.

When you have binge-eating disorder, you may be deeply embarrassed about gorging and vow to stop. But you feel such a compulsion that you can't resist the urges and continue binge eating. If you have binge-eating disorder, treatment can help.