Always under my protein goal

Options
lar2a
lar2a Posts: 30 Member
Should I let the nutrition goals as they are ? (50 % sugar, 30 % fat and 20 % protein) ?
Should I change ?
I'm not trying to lose weight but I train a lot to get stronger and healthier ☺
Thanks for the advices !

Replies

• Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Are you lifting? Trying to gain muscle mass?

How many calories do you eat and how many grams of protein?
  • lar2a
    Options
    I am thinking about doing it but now I'm getting ready with resistance trainings. But yeah my goal is to gain muscles. I'm trying to stay around 1500 - 1700 calories a day. I eat between 60 and 80 grams of protein. Is it too low?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I checked your goals with mine and mine are higher (60/16/24). I went with the MFP default. I typically hit my protein targets. I do work at it. I have protein with every meal, every snack. It's something my dietitian watches because she does not want me to be deficient.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    lar2a wrote: »
    I am thinking about doing it but now I'm getting ready with resistance trainings. But yeah my goal is to gain muscles. I'm trying to stay around 1500 - 1700 calories a day. I eat between 60 and 80 grams of protein. Is it too low?

If you're on a deficit, you will keep the muscle you have (not really gain), when you add resistance training. You should get about .5 to 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) to help the process.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    If you want to gain muscle then yes.

Most people suggest 1 gram per lb of lbm and you'll need to eat more to put on muscle as well.

How tall are you, what do you weigh and do you know your BF%, if so what is it?
  • arditarose
    Options
    I tend to get about 90-140 grams of protein per day, if you want to look at my diary.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    As an example I'm 5'2, 150lbs and aim for at least 100g of protein day and I'm cutting on around 1600 cals a day.

I lift to help keep my muscle mass and the protein helps with that - plus I find it keeps me full
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    I have a target of 160 gr/day on an average intake of 1800 calories (I'm currently carb cycling, so I'll do 2000 on lift days, 1600 on the others, always with the same protein target).

Feel free to look at my diary for ideas, although my main strategy is to have mid-morning / mid-afternoon snacks that have extremely high protein-per-calorie ratios (canned fish, nonfat greek yogurt, lowfat mozzarella cheese sticks, and the occasional nonfat cottage cheese) to get me about half of my protein, and then let the rest of the day sort of take care of itself.
  • lar2a
    Options
    I'm 1.73 meter and 63 kilograms. I have no idea about the BF. How do you know it ?
    What kind of protein do you eat ? Powder or "real" ones ?
  • lar2a
    Options
    5'8 and 139 lbs *
    Thanks for the answers everybody !
  • arditarose
    Options
    I'm 1.73 meter and 63 kilograms. I have no idea about the BF. How do you know it ?

It's hard to get a true body fat % reading. You could eat .8 grams of protein per pound of body mass if you want.

I use powder sometimes, but mostly protein bars as I like to chew food and I always have room for the extra 90 calories. My dinners are usually 6 oz of meat instead of 4 oz. That means more calories, but I do double veggies (300 grams of squash/zucchini) instead of a carb. Protein with every meal or snack basically.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

Here is a good calculator. http://www.fat2fittools.com/tools/

I eat both food and powder,
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I hardly ever resort to powders. Yogurt, greek yogurt, peanut butter or eggs for breakfast, nuts and cheeses for snacks, meat at lunch and dinner.
  • lar2a
    Options
    Do you eat non fat yogurts or normal ones ?
    Thanks for the link Iron_feline I'll take my measurements when I'm at home ☺
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    Do you eat non fat yogurts or normal ones ?
    Thanks for the link Iron_feline I'll take my measurements when I'm at home ☺

I eat low fat, but again I'm trying to lose weight so more protein for less calories - most high protein yogurts in the UK are low fat.

I use protein powder because it is convenient, cheap and again lots of protein vs calories.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    The yogurt I have at home right now is low fat but I don't turn down 3% fat. The best yogurt I ever had was a full fat organic greek yogurt, lemon flavour.

You have a higher fat proportion than I do. It's all about what you like.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Another trick you can do in the evening is if you are under for the day, have a protein powder or drink. When I was having trouble last summer, I would finish the day with a protein drink (30% daily requirement).
  • lar2a
    Options
    And where do you buy your powder ? In sport shops ?
    In Switzerland most of the yogurts are with full fat. We don't have a lot of offers.