Water

Options
I realized that I was not drinking any water at all most days so I made it my business to increase my water consumption. Yesterday I drank 13 cups and today so far 16. I am having a serious issue with the amount of time I am spending in the restroom. I woke up 3 times during the night to go urinate. I really want to be healthy in every way possible but goodness Its none stop. Does this just come along with the territory? Will it decrease at some point? Any suggestions? Help me! Gotta go pee now lol!!!

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Drink less water. 8 cups is usually plenty for most people. Too much can be bad.
    Your urine should be straw-colored.
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I tend to drink a ton of water also and my bladder is well-accustomed to it (Plus I have very strong kegels lol) But if for some reason I go a week of drinking less than usual then I go back up, I will find myself peeing far more frequently. Try upping your intake more gradually and work on strengthening your pelvic floor so you don't have an accident.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    You can just drink less. 16 c or water is a lot. I think some people say half your lb body weight in oz of water (so if you weigh 160 lbs, drink 80oz of water) I don't know if that has any validity or not. I drink a lot of water and I don't really think I pee that much. Maybe your body will get used to it.
  • navyjen
    navyjen Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I weigh 129 and I drink 80 oz a day. I am always in the bathroom.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I drink 12-16 cups of water a day, at first I was in the bathroom constantly, but that has slowed down. I guess my body has become more used to it. I don't drink as much at night, so I rarely get up in the middle of the night.
  • thesaraaah
    thesaraaah Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Drinking water is great, I drink about ten cups a day but that's only because of the nature of my job. You don't honestly need to drink the amount that you are, unless you're just that thirsty. Just strive for the recommended 8 cups a day and that should be plenty, assuming you have no other underlying medical conditions and what not.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    Easing into it probably would have helped. But, your body will adapt somewhat. I'd cut down a little bit and then work up to where you are comfortable. Can't beat all the good effects from drinking lots of water, though. The multiple bathroom trips aren't that big of a deal, except if they interfere with your sleep. In that case try not having water after a certain time, like 8:00 PM or whatever works depending on your bedtime.

Stick with the healthy habit though!
  • AllAboutThatPace
    AllAboutThatPace Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I am with you. I drink anywhere from 64 to 128 oz of water a day. I am constantly in the bathroom. :( It has gotten a little better though. I still wake up some nights to go, which I never used to do.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    if you are constantly in the bathroom, you are drinking too much water.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I drink 3L sometimes more everyday and I'm always in the Loo, including those annoying middle of the night visits :s I've been drinking this much for a long time, it hasn't reduced my toilet trips
  • Mscandacens
    Mscandacens Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I guess I will cut back and gradually increase. I appreciate the advice.
  • jeff0406
    Options
    My biggest problem is drinking too much water at night. I always have a water bottle next to my bed but it always wakes me up at night, hence screws up my sleeping
  • keeleybjensen
    keeleybjensen Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking about a gallon a day, the problem is that since I started not only do I have to go to the bathroom allllll day long but I am now thirsty all the time too!!!!!
  • richfield100
    Options
    Try not drinking after 7-7:30 pm and see if that helps your midnight trips to the BR
  • 00_Staarling
    00_Staarling Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have uped my water intake as well and am finding the same problem. I need to pee all the time! I'm hoping my body will adjust to it as well because I hate having to pee at 3am. Though I feel like it has been helpful at decreasing what I thought was "hunger" but was actually just dehydration. For me peeing stupid amounts (and hopefully this will decrease over time) is worth not feeling super hungry all the time.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Try spacing your intake out differently - if it's really spaced out, try drinking water in chunks (4 cups at a time, for instance). Vice versa. Otherwise you can drink less. I personally get dehydrated drinking less than 16 8-oz cups of water, and I've been drinking only like 10 cups of water the past week or longer and am still dehydrated. Better than when I drank like.. 1 cup or none though.
  • Mscandacens
    Options
    So yesterday I finished my gallon by 2 pm and drank normally for the rest of the day. It really helped with the over night trips and by maybe 7 pm I was going to the restroom normally as well. I like the idea of drinking in chunks. I think I will make a water schedule to insure I get it all in before too late in the day. Thanks for sharing your experience. I wish each of you much success in not only your journey to health but in life also.
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I drink about 1.5 to 2 gallons a day, your body gets used to it eventually and you will go to the bathroom less and less
  • Mscandacens
    Options
    Thanks, that seems to be the picture I'm getting. It's good to hear from people that have been through it. Thanks.