Cheat meal or not to cheat meal.. that is the question

Options
I see this question asked all the time and I see a lot of people word the answer as a definite "NO!" or a "Sure!". Here is the answer... do you need a cheat meal? If you have one, are you still losing weight?

It is that simple. Considering that this is a life change and you can't go back to eating fatty foods as soon as you reach your goal weight (unless you want to be a yoyo), can you eat like this forever?

Myself, I don't want to avoid rich yummy food. I got heavy because I enjoy rich foods. I don't see why I should stop eating rich foods EVER and trying to stress about only eating 1/4 of a meal at a restaurant so I only eat X number of calories destroys the joy of the meal for me. However, I have no problem with earning my cheat meals. So here is how I make it work for me:

I go to the gym 4 days a week and I keep track of the low end of my calorie burn (the machine says I burned 380 but MFP says I burned 420. I take 380). I do not eat these calories back during the week but instead keep a tally of the calories earned each day. I also climb a minimum of 15 flights of stairs at work (I work on the first floor and use the 3rd floor restroom) and I walk a mile at lunch each day. I do _not_ track that calorie burn.

By the weekend I have 1500 calories that I earned just from the gym. That is my cheat calories. I can eat 1500 calories over my 1400 daily calories. Mealwhile, there is more calorie burn from my mile walk and stair climbing that isn't part of those totals.

I am consistently losing 1.8 to 2.6 pounds a week this way yet I have had to unfriend people on here for giving me a hard time by commenting about eating 2800 calories on saturday.

I guess my main message here is.. do what works for you. You set your goals. You know what you can and can't do and through trial and error you will find what you can do as a long term change. Don't let people tell you that their way is the only way that works. However, if it isn't working for you, be prepared to try something new and don't stick your feet in the ground and swear you are doing everything right even though you are gaining weight.

Good luck to everyone!

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    In the end, the numbers and math will win out. If your 'cheat meal' (when averaged out with your other days) puts you into an overall caloric surplus, then it's going to be counterproductive. If you can still, over the long term, stay in a deficit, no prob.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    You just worked out a way of making CICO work into your lifestyle. Kudos to you. You've earned those calories therefore officially they are not "cheat" calories. 100% on board with enjoying rich yummy foods.
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ I LOVE this.
  • zoomtech16
    zoomtech16 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I guess I "cheat meal" all the time because I like food just as long as I've worked out enough. Some days though I cheat and don't workout ;) still losing weight though! Also I'm pretty sure that's how weight watchers works they give you extra weekly points to use as long as you use them in that week.
  • Mrsallen6_11
    Mrsallen6_11 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    do what works for you. You set your goals. You know what you can and can't do and through trial and error you will find what you can do as a long term change. Don't let people tell you that their way is the only way that works. However, if it isn't working for you, be prepared to try something new....

I like your way of thinking. I'm the same way about cheat days/meals. I think having one meal of anything I want, but eaten in moderation, once a week is a good idea and hopefully one day I can work up to having a whole day like that but right now I'm still learning to make the right healthy choices on a daily basis. But you're right, this is trial and error and no one's perfect.

I wish my office building had more than one floor :( it would help me out a lot but I have started finding reasons to get up and move around more. Thanks for the post and congrats on the weight loss, keep it up :)!
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    i just eat what i want and aim to fit it into my calorie goal.. sometimes if i go over a little that's ok..
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Hey whatever works for you. I only have 15lbs to lose so a "cheat meal" is just not something I can afford with my calories if I want to lose weight.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    i have days where i eat whatever i want and dont log but they are just days and they are not every month . I dont do the cheat meal thing but you need to find what works best for you
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I lower my calories during the week, and hit the macros and calories for that reduced number (I increase the protein). On my "cheat day" I set my goal back to my real calorie allotment, look at my weekly total and deduct what's leftover . If I stick to the lower number all week, I have an awesome cheat meal and it all evens out. If I overate I have less to play with, but still get a day to eat a little more. It's all about that weekly number, or what you do most of the time. It works
  • eyecandyrayce
    eyecandyrayce Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »
    i have days where i eat whatever i want and dont log but they are just days and they are not every month . I dont do the cheat meal thing but you need to find what works best for you

Exactly :smile: . Nothing wrong with having a day now and then where you don't log and eat what you want as long as you are happy and it doesn't make you give up. I only lost 25 pounds all of last year and gained some of that back over x-mas break. But I'm in this for the long haul so I don't really care. My goal this year is to lose 30 though because I want to get closer to my goal.
  • carolynmo1969
    carolynmo1969 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I hate the word cheat. It is a filthy word that implies you are doing something insidious. I prefer "treat" or "splurge" or "celebration." Savour the flavour, the textures, the company you are breaking bread with if applicable.
  • marinabreeze
    marinabreeze Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Not super crazy about the term "cheat meal" because not logging it doesn't mean it didn't go into my body. However, I agree with the overall sentiment. I will probably go way over today because I have 190 cals left and I haven't eaten dinner yet (I work until 8pm). I will likely end up choosing something that is more than 190 cals because my DH is having a boys night and that gives me an opportunity to eat something I like and he hates (probably either sushi or Indian food - he is extremely picky). I will count what I eat for dinner, and I will move on. Weekly-wise, will still be at a deficit. But tracking when I go over does help so that if I didn't have a good week on the scale, I know why and I can fix it. I hope that makes sense.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I don't care for the term "cheat", as I'm not doing anything wrong. I eat yummies every single day, so never feel the need to splurge. I think it's great you've worked it into your allotment!
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I don't like calling something a "cheat" because that implies that it's bad or that guilt should be associated. Of course that is a personal opinion and I know not everyone thinks the way I do. I prefer to try my hardest to not have any negative perceptions on food or eating though.

ETA: I think it is messed up that anyone would judge you for going over though. I missed that part when I was reading your post. I think if you've found something that works for you then that's awesome.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I disagree. "Cheat meal" should be insidious otherwise it wouldn't be fun and it would be normal :)
  • BackInTheSaddle13
    BackInTheSaddle13 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    For me personally, I try to work in my favorites throughout the week. I might have to modify them a little or cut back but I have learned through trial and error that once I get that ball rolling it takes me a hell of a lot to get it to stop. It has also helped because I am not telling myself no on anything in particular so I don't feel desperate or deprived as stupid as that sounds. It's been said before but I'm on the bandwagon with, whatever works for you is what works.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    If you have to have a Cheat Meal, you're doin' it wrong.

What you described, OP, is NOT a Cheat Meal. It is a planned for, calorie budgeted event that fits within your quota of allowed calories. The calories are simply time-shifted... but they are within your normal calorie intake parameters.

How is that a "cheat"?
  • menotyou56
    menotyou56 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    loulamb7 wrote: »
    You just worked out a way of making CICO work into your lifestyle. Kudos to you. You've earned those calories therefore officially they are not "cheat" calories. 100% on board with enjoying rich yummy foods.

Right! How is it a "cheating" if it fits into your CICO levels?

Its NOT a cheat meal!

• eyecandyrayce
    eyecandyrayce Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I have had plenty of people refer to any meal that is not "healthy" as a cheat meal. And I don't mind calling it a cheat meal but just like the entire topic of this thread, to each their own. :smiley:
  • cotewalter
    cotewalter Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    You know what? You are doing this for you and not for your MFP or any other friends. I think we all do what works for us. MFP is a tool and people use tools what works for them and the desired results. If something is working for you then so be it. If it isn't working then you get advice if you want it. Call it a cheat meal. Call it Fred. You do what you need to do and congratulations on your continued success. We are here to support each other and achieve our success!! Kudos to you!!