Cocao? Just because whole foods puts a panda on it is it healthy?

Options
I bought some 88% cocao chocolate for 50 calories a square. Is this honestly good for me? Everything in moderation, yes,yes.. but can someone explain the nutritional value of this to me?

Replies

• irretrievable_
    Options
    Dark chocolate has some antioxidants or whatever, but is not actually a health food.

Lots of stuff at whole foods is junk food. It's just expensive junk food.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The nutritional value? Go look it up.

Is it better because it has a panda on it? Yes. It's a fact actually.

Case Study: Panda Express.
    It used to be called Goaty Quickly, and offered the same great orange chicken. However, they actually declared bankruptcy. During restructing, some zoo had a panda born in it, so the new holding company that purchased the assets renamed it as Panda Express. (Not all shops changed to Panda Express, some dropped the goat and rebranded as Quickly.)

The rest as they say, is history.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    ...are pandas healthy? I don't get the connection
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Daiako wrote: »

Of course, they don't eat sugar, just greens.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I know cocoa is high in iron. I used to drink a dark hot chocolate that had something like 20%of my RDA in just over 100 calories. I have heard about the antioxidants, including resveratrol, but since there's no labelling for them, IDK how much you'd get in a serving; could be negligible.

I never thought I could be so happy about having low iron stores. If only there were B12 in skittles...
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    The nutritional value? Go look it up.

Is it better because it has a panda on it? Yes. It's a fact actually.

Case Study: Panda Express.
    It used to be called Goaty Quickly, and offered the same great orange chicken. However, they actually declared bankruptcy. During restructing, some zoo had a panda born in it, so the new holding company that purchased the assets renamed it as Panda Express. (Not all shops changed to Panda Express, some dropped the goat and rebranded as Quickly.)

The rest as they say, is history.

<3
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    Is this good for you? Well, do you want to eat it? If so then yes, it's good for you.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options

Green_Apple_Buffet.jpg
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I moved to the unsweetened 100% cocoa at the recommendation of Hershey to put in my morning instant coffee.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

Green_Apple_Buffet.jpg

That was funny. :)

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    The higher the percentage of cacao, the less filler there is in the chocolate. Less sugar, less added fat...fewer insects? Plus the actual cacao is what has the antioxidants, phytonutrients, etc.

I'm not sure what you mean by good for you...in limited quantities, it is a perfectly reasonable indulgence.

No matter what kind of chocolate you buy, cacao is always an extremely processed product with a really big carbon footprint. My feeling is that if you are going to eat it, it should be really high-quality stuff so that less of it is more satisfying. The pandas would expect no less.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Pandas make me angry. They're fat and dopey and talk like Jack Black and only eat rare bamboo, which is why they're dying out. Cool bears eat fish and people. C'mon pandas, get it together.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Pandas make me angry. They're fat and dopey and talk like Jack Black and only eat rare bamboo, which is why they're dying out. Cool bears eat fish and people. C'mon pandas, get it together.
    I used to have access to panda behavior when they were fed a mostly meat diet.

It was pretty awesome, they were much more like what we'd expect from a bear.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options

Really? That's interesting! Any other animals change behavior when fed meat? I wonder if we ever do?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I keep cacao - cocoa - powder around for a quick chocolate fix. Either hot with milk and sugar, or cold in a smoothie with milk, (frozen, lightly thawed) banana and peanut butter <3
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Trendy though they might be, cacao nibs are delicious, and my only wish is that they were more widely available everywhere. With pandas on the packaging of course. But I take my chocolate every kind of way.
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    chocolate, cacao, cocoa is part of my daily vitamin regimen - and Yes, pandas make everything better. Especially the red pandas
  • dragthewaters
    dragthewaters Posts: 62 Member
    Options

Wow that's really interesting! I have to tell this to my panda-obsessed friend.

Is it just me, or are pandas the most naturally selected against species, ever? I'm surprised they even survived this long.
  • dbmata
    Options

Wow that's really interesting! I have to tell this to my panda-obsessed friend.

Is it just me, or are pandas the most naturally selected against species, ever? I'm surprised they even survived this long.
    that's the thing, those idiot raccoon kin.

If they just ate a few mice, it would all be a lot easier for them. There's gotta be mice where they are.

As for other animals behavior changing after eating certain things, it would make sense.

We see how crazy humans get when they eat an all vegetable diet. lol.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Me without chocolate is not healthy, so I would say yes it is :D